RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Heavy Metal Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default Transporting your transporter....

..or loader or excavator or whatever your RC's are. How do you you do it? How do you get your stuff to an event without damage in transit?
I just finished some changes to my truck and was planning to load up the car to take it to the Cabin Fever show. Would have been the first time it's left the house. I ended up with a minor emergency that kept me from going, but that's not the pioint here. I was planning to use some foam and a couple of blankets to make a safe spot in the back of the car and thought it would nice to have good padded box with a handle to carry it around like suitcase. I looked at large Pelican cases - too exspensive. I also found some sound / video / stage equipment transport cases - but not really the the right dimensions.
The RC racing world has it made with ready made "hauler bags" that protect the vehicle and contain the dirt that may be on it, not to mention the physical dimensions of the RC's are much easier to deal with.....just throw it all in plastic tote tub and your good to go....not gonna work that way with delicate lights / mirrors and such on a King Hauler....

So, what do you guys do for different vehicles / equipment? Custom made boxxes?

Last edited by Heavy Metal Doctor; 01-16-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:27 PM

biggusditchus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Transporting your transporter....

I have moved my better halfs trucks in the car packed with foam, blankets, or coats etc but to be honest not ideal we have had a few minor problems (mostly associated with exhaust stacks). I have seen guys over here with wooden crates made specially to the trucks dimensions with packing inside to hold the truck in place.

I am aware that there is a guy in my local boat club that runs a business and has started making hauler bags for various things like boats, cars that are padded and made to dimensions of the vehicle he has considered making one for tamiya lorries and I can get more information if you would like.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Wannabe

Brel is on a distinguished road

I use a Stanley Fatmax tool box to transpot my 1/16th tanks in
Heng long tiger 1 with the tx at the rear of the tank

Old 01-17-2012, 12:31 AM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road

Their was a good write up over on scale on making carriers for the trucks. Tamiya Cowboy actually posted it. Here's a link

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37757

I made mine out of corning insulation foam pwr his instructions, The pink stuff from the depot, made a box shape and used some 1x2 shim boards on the corners for reinforcent they work great. You can carve the board to any size and contour which keeps a nice snug fit without damaging anything.

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scalelover; 01-17-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 AM

Heavy Metal Doctor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link -- I had some faint memory of that thread, but didn't find it on a search (I just didn't think of the right search terms, I guess).
I wonder how those boxes have held up since that was a couple / few years ago?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road

I've had mine little over a year or so and it's still in a1 shape. Now I dont do a ton of traveling with my trucks but it's taken some good trips in the trunk and back seat without any signs of damage to truck or box.

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Green Horn

justinart24 is on a distinguished road

I made a box to help keep my rigs safe while transporting them to GTG or scale comps. I plane on sealing the inside so water or mud don't destroy the wood.

Made the top countersunk so I could stack items on top and they wouldn't slide around.

The fare left compartment will hold tools, lipos and my radio.

Peek'a'boo.

I am sure this will come in handy when I do offroad and onroad racing too.8)

My Builds