RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

Wonderful!

Kerst
Old 06-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful Reg! All the details sure paid off. The handles, the windshield, the wipers, and paint all turned out really nice. You have to be happy with the results! The 850 looks great driving around in your videos. It's very sharp.

Did I read right, that your differentials have already let go? You might want to give these E-Savage differential kits a try. Made by a Canadian shop as well, so shipping shouldn't kill you.

http://gcmracing.ca/viewitem.php?productid=44

For your cab clearance lights, I would just run 3mm orange LEDs inside them, with the appropriate dropping resistors, which depends on your battery source. It's pretty easy to figure out. It's hard to tell, but are your headlights already functional too? In some of the photos it looks like you have white LEDs inside them, or else it's just the aluminum reflecting the natural light. You could probably try warm white LEDs there too.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Beautiful Reg! All the details sure paid off. The handles, the windshield, the wipers, and paint all turned out really nice. You have to be happy with the results! The 850 looks great driving around in your videos. It's very sharp.

Did I read right, that your differentials have already let go? You might want to give these E-Savage differential kits a try. Made by a Canadian shop as well, so shipping shouldn't kill you.

http://gcmracing.ca/viewitem.php?productid=44

For your cab clearance lights, I would just run 3mm orange LEDs inside them, with the appropriate dropping resistors, which depends on your battery source. It's pretty easy to figure out. It's hard to tell, but are your headlights already functional too? In some of the photos it looks like you have white LEDs inside them, or else it's just the aluminum reflecting the natural light. You could probably try warm white LEDs there too.
Still a few things missing detail wise but it's getting there. Yes the headlights are lit and so are the side makers on the fenders. I'm not sure what route I will take with the clearance lights. I'm thinking that may be a winter project.

The diffs are fine until I pull a generator across the floor or load it with logs and drive on the gravel.. I pulled apart the rear diff Thursday night and it was sick(I had one spare set of spiders). I think they are sick again so I need to do something different. I will shoot those guys an email and see if their upgrade will work with my axle shafts. I almost bought aluminum housings in the beginning but didn't. I would like to do the upgrade that adds another shaft and bevel gear set. That would help displace the load more evenly on the side gears. I think I am expecting a lot trying to move around close to 100lbs with these tiny little pieces.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

It's kind of an after thought now, Reg, but maybe some 1/8 scale buggy differentials would have been a stronger option. Or some nitro Savage differentials.... It would stink to have to remake the axles, but maybe you could do a retro-fit.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'll get it figured out. Funny how the parts I thought would be good are the ones giving the problems. I will try the aluminum housings and see what happens. Axial makes them and the local hobby shop has them in stock. They may reduce the flex a little and give better gear lash. If not I'll have to find some lighter wood! I could make spools but it would never steer.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:47 AM
Journeyman

Hemi1966 is on a distinguished road

Great job Reg, it's a beauty
Love the videos, it moves so realistic due the weight and size

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Simply stunning!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Reg which 1's did you get ? I put the nitro sets in the mack and the 990 and they took some abuse

truck looks great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

These ones are from the E-savage. The axles have two flats and slide into the side gears. I'll pull it apart today and see what's happening for sure. I'll take some pictures and post them up. I guess this is the trouble you run into sometimes when the stuff is so big and heavy. The truck and trailer are around 50 pounds and it moves that just fine with no issues. Add a load and $h!t goes south...it looks pretty though...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

I assume this 1 http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-E...item51adac50e1

this is the 1 I use http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Nitro-Sa...item53f86f238a Much beefier and the gears are hard as (-)3!!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes Steve, same as the first one except on mine the axles enter the housing and slip into the side gears. I don't think I could make what you're using work in these rear ends so I will try to upgrade the plastic case to aluminum. If that doesn't work then I will make new diffs in the fall...

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 AM

louie r/c nut is on a distinguished road

Very nice looking rig .
Old 06-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Reg, shimming the differential's planet gears is a good idea. I think that will help you for sure, but getting an aluminum diff carrier in there to support the gears will be better yet. Who knows, maybe between both of these ideas you'll be all right! I have to agree with you....locked differentials, and a full load will probably equal a truck that only goes straight!

Boy, the 850 sure looks good outside! I was meaning to ask - how did you make the window gaskets? I need to figure that out for my Needlenose KW. I was thinking square o-ring material (splicing kit), or styrene (probably the better idea) would okay. Just kind of fiddly. I'd love to hear how you pulled it off because it looks really nice.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yeah hopefully I will have the diff issue solved now. I will buy the aluminum housings and cross my fingers.

The window gaskets(Euc and KW) are made from old wiper blades(I keep telling you guys...HOARDER). I use the part that holds the wiper to the arm. One side of it is a little wider so you have to trim that off somehow or it will not sit flat in tight corners. Works pretty decent for the price of a pair of wipers you were gonna through away ... One wiper does a couple windows if your careful.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

You're a genius! I might have to give that a try. The only problem I see is that maybe the gasket would be a little to large for my tiny little truck!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post

You're a genius! I might have to give that a try. The only problem I see is that maybe the gasket would be a little to large for my tiny little truck!
Come on now lets not get too sarcastic....
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Just made up some air and water lines out of some old scraps...

Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

The details you keep adding just makes the build even more impressive. If anyone is looking for ready-made H-channel rubber for windows, http://www.knupershop.de has two sizes and they are available through a US source, http://www.ModelMotorCars.com. I am using this for my Payhauler truck. (In the Knuper parts list it is under Profiles: Rubber H-profile.)

Ken

Last edited by sparkycuda; 06-03-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 06-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

That truck looks SOOOOOO good. And when you are driving in lower speed it looks very realistic. Guess those trucks was quite low speed specified to cope with the tonnage fully loaded.
About rubber H-shape. Don't find them special easy to work with. Have tried to get real glas into my cab and rubber keeps popping out. Was told you have to glue them to cab BEFORE trying putting in windows in them.
Reg, enjoying this build so much that a Pete and trailer coming higher in "to do list".
Dan
Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Reg, despite my little shenanigans, I seriously thank you for the window gasket idea. You're a great builder. Your plumbing looks awesome. You even painted the ball valve hand red. That's an eye for detail. So all these log trucks seem to have water tanks on them. Forest fire prevention? Hard to see how a diesel would start a fire in the woods, but it must have happened enough...?

And thanks for the link to the H-gasket material Ken. I'll have to give that a look!