RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Fire and Rescue and Emergency Vehicles

Fire and Rescue and Emergency Vehicles Here is a spot for all them important emergency vehicle builds.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scania airport fire truck

Acrylic or enamel, red is one of those colors that is just a pita to paint with a brush. Really looking good.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:03 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road

Reworking the fenders, so I get a second attempt at getting the rear steps right.

Torture! I've tried so many times to find a simple way to make the steps, but none of them looked convincing. This is a weeks work, so this better end up looking perfect.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Amazing to follow

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:06 PM

Hostile is on a distinguished road

Thats crazy good work. Time consuming but its that level of detail that makes it stand out 10/10 build!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:47 PM
Green Horn

Those look amazing. First class craftsmanship.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:52 AM
Green Horn

gismow is on a distinguished road

It's an amazing work, brilliant. Please keep on going to flash us with your skills.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:11 PM
Green Horn

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Just enough left over for the extra hanging front steps.

The older truck doesn't have this bump. I think they're turn signals? The whole "shelf" should ideally be removed on the driver's side, but I've decided to leave it for the sake of structural integrity.

I've tested many ways of mounting the fender sections. I made a mounting system holding it with magnets from the top, but it ultimately wasn't stiff enough. Finally ended up removing most of what I did earlier and simplified it. A plate on the left side, a box for electronics on the right side. Mounts to the chassis rails with 2 screws.

One of the most difficult tasks is making this stuff in a way that physically possible to mount it. Here's my solution for removing the rear steps to access the screws for mounting the fenders to the chassis.

Foldable ladder for the back.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:54 PM
Green Horn

Like your tab and slot solution for your fenders. Finished fenders look great.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:22 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

It's looking better and better. Will be interesting to see it fully painted.

Construction site on Facebook:

Pictures on Instagram:
Old 09-22-2018, 12:54 AM
Green Horn

Sorry for the long break. I haven't really had the energy to write up the documentation or actually do much work.

Lift mechanism for the telescopic floodlight mast. It technically works, but it could use some refinement, and I'm not sure how to mount it so that I can do maintenance on it later. I've been trying to figure out the best way to design the mechanism for this for more than a year. There's not much room and I want it to extend as high as possible. I would rather have a static prop than a telescopic mast that barely reaches above the roof. This version uses a micro servo modified for continuous rotation with physical microswitches and diodes cutting off power to the servo motor to stop at top and bottom. The rack and pinion is a drive belt harvested from an old RC car.

One set of top mounted floodlights is done. Again using the 2835 LEDs (and again broke a couple while soldering) mounted in a plastic case that pops into the mounts. Round tube through a round hole is a pretty simple way to mount stuff, as it turns out. Why do I not have a 3D printer yet? I deeply hate making multiples of something. Just 4 more to go though.

Started on the water level indicator lights for the middle pump module.

Took out the mysterious but cheap fingernail tool again and scribed the last shutter.

Simple mounting for the plates that the taillights are mounted on. I think I need a truck dictionary to figure out what everything is called. They'll probably be glued in eventually.

Roughly started on the cab interior to find out where to hide the wiring. Fortunately the 1:1 P crew cab also has the engine in the middle of it, so I can make it reasonably accurate. I'm planning to hide the ESC under the rear bench. I'm hoping heat won't be an issue. I can't do much more work until I've figured out the wiring for the middle section.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Green Horn

The middle module is where I'm planning to fit the battery, a huge pump, ESC for the pump, the BEC for the LEDs and micro servos, a voltage step up module, some switches and a distribution point for most of the wiring. I'm sure it's a brilliant idea to place a lipo battery and lots of sensitive electronics in the same compartment as a high pressure pump.

I found some 12v 30A switches that can hopefully survive the current. From right to left: Battery master switch, switch for all the extra electronics like arduino, lights and microservos and a master switch for the high pressure pump system.
Building a small enclosure for them that will let me access the wiring behind them.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

This looks nice.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:10 PM
Green Horn

Small update.
The side marker lights on the middle compartment are a challenge. The side walls are 2mm thick, so there's not much room for LEDs. Fortunately they just need a small point light.

Broke four drill bits drilling a long 1mm channel for a fiber optic cable in each corner. A tiny 1206 SMD LED is inserted into a hole in the side lighting the back side of the fiber optics. A lot of light is lost doing it this way, but the side markers won't need to be very bright.

The lights are just a small rectangular plastic piece.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Iv been following your build and its nice to see how well its coming along.
Cant wait to see the finished product.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Green Horn

Thanks!
I was just doing some test fitting. I had this all planned out now. When mounting the middle compartment on the chassis, I would connect the ESC power connector right before "touchdown". Turns out I can't get a good grip with my fingers on the connectors. I'll have to do a major rethink. Also, I don't have room for the receiver anymore. It wouldn't be a hobby if things went according to plan
edit: Does this planning thing become easier after a few builds?

Last edited by Wombii; 10-26-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:54 AM
Journeyman

Nope, just more surprises.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Green Horn

We have movement!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OKDRRXtG1k
Yes, that drive shaft is spliced together with masking tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain Jack View Post
Nope, just more surprises.
That's comforting
Old 10-29-2018, 07:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

I love the solutions you're coming up with for lighting.

Glad to see it's a roller. That cab already has a good presence, i can't wait until the whole body is on and we can see everything working together.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Green Horn

Had to start with the dashboard modifications to figure out how many resistors I need on the front resistor board. Added some switches and backlighting for the reverse cam display and instrument panel. Green LEDs for turn signals.

Final design for the front resistor board.

Started working on the floodlights for the telescopic light mast. A lot of guesstimation based on photos to get the dimensions and angles right, but I feel it's pretty close. Mostly 1mm styrene. 5730 neutral white LED soldered to metal strips in the hope that they will move some of the heat to the outside.

Of course one broke when bending the metal strips

I swear I tested them all before filling them with CA glue! Only tested at low power though. Turns out that when tested at full power for more than a minute one of them started blinking. Most likely damage from soldering. Always fun to carve out fully cured glue.

I was hoping to run them at 60mA each, but I'll stick below 40 as I'm a bit concerned about heat buildup and don't feel like replacing any more LEDs in them for the next decade. I think they're bright enough anyway.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Journeyman

Dashboard looks very promising.