RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Cascadia build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrucker2 View Post
Mavrick0

I have a question on the screws you are using. They appear to be some type of hex head screw. What are they? What sizes did you use and what thread are they? How do I get some? I think that the hex head looks a lot better than the Phillips that comes in the kit and would like to use them on my build. Your attention to detail on this build is outstanding. Thank you for sharing your build with us.
Try looking up "button head cap screws"
Cheers, Neil.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Green Horn

avel is on a distinguished road

I didn't even know they had so many upgrade parts for these trucks. I have been looking at the aeromax for awhile now and your detailed upgrade parts list is helping out.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

rctrucker2, they are definitely button head socket cap screws, and stainless, at that. You'll need a variety of lengths for a Tamiya truck. Best to take a look at the manual and see what lengths are necessary. If you don't have a manual for your truck, you can find one online. http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30

I don't know about everyone else, but I order all my screws from McMaster-Carr.

www.mcmaster.com
Old 05-17-2014, 10:46 PM

rctrucker2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
rctrucker2, they are definitely button head socket cap screws, and stainless, at that. You'll need a variety of lengths for a Tamiya truck. Best to take a look at the manual and see what lengths are necessary. If you don't have a manual for your truck, you can find one online. http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30

I don't know about everyone else, but I order all my screws from McMaster-Carr.

www.mcmaster.com
Thanks Espeefan. I went to McMaster and found the stainless steel screws. Now I just have to go through the manual and figure out how many of each size I need. Sure do appreciate the help guys, thanks!
Old 05-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Green Horn

mavrick0 is on a distinguished road

espeefan has you covered rctrucker2 and he is correct. All I do is just make a list out of the manual and I'm lucky enough I have a good supplier in my area I can just walk into and put in an order. I've spent about $300 on the last two orders I've done but that's including the truck and trailers I'm working on too. I wish I would've looked at McMaster first for the 2m screws but I'll be doing an order with them and getting the button head screws as well versus the cap screws I'm using now. But I will say if you go this route get a good set of drivers. I use a set from Dynamite RC and just had to recently change the tip after 2 years of use but a good set will make your life a lot easier and less likely to strip out the head of a screw.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Green Horn

Well ran into an issue with McMaster-carr. They don't accept orders from international buyers unless it's a business. Anyone want to do an order for me and ship it to my US warehouse and I'll send them paypal. lol.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:45 PM

silvertips is on a distinguished road

Not sure if you have a FASTENAL near you but they have- can get you any size of screws you will need. I have ordered 0- 90s from them. I live in British Columbia
Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM

longhairRandy is on a distinguished road

I've had good luck and pricing from {http://www.boltdepot.com/}. Shipping is cheaper if it's a business address since they use UPS for everything I've bought.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:43 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

lots of fastenals around i get stainless 3mm with the lock nuts from them .they are reasonable,unlike Brafasco you can buy 1 or 2 ,with Fastenal you need to buy a minimum quantity to get them orderedwhich is good because you will need the extra later
Old 05-20-2014, 01:12 AM

Mavrick0

It turns out there is a Fastenal store not too far from me. I will get my screw count and go down and see what they have. Your $300.00 bill put a bit of a scare in me, not sure I want to add that to what I have already spent on this Freightliner build. I was looking for something in the neighborhood of $30.00. I will check it out.

Also, would like to know where you ordered your Aluminum wheels? I have been looking at some from Hong Kong but not sure of the quality. I have seen that some members have ordered “Steve’s Wheels” but I cannot find a link to that. I do not care for the new Tamiya Aluminum wheel.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Green Horn

Thanks for all the help guys. I stopped by Fastenal today and they are looking into the screws I want. Hopefully they can get them for me and at a decent cost.

rctrucker2 keep in mind this is for the truck, and 2 trailers and also I'm in Canada and things tend to be a lot higher then the US. Hence the fact I use a US warehouse to ship stuff to and pick it up. As for the aluminum wheels they were for sale on eBay by someone who seems to be getting rid of a lot of semi parts out of personal collection. When I did the Knight Hauler build I used GPM aluminum wheels and the quality was really good. But seems like they are hard to come by now so not sure where I'm going to get the rest of the wheels I'm going to need from.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

not sure how i missed this thread but it seems to be going pretty good!

How you liking the helical gears? I debated on them but figured unless im breaking stock ones i wont worry too much lol

how you liking the cascadia build so far? just from dealing with the frame im seeing that there is a TON of holes in the frame! guess its like the newer vehicles IRL lol!

For button style heads I ordered the "pro pack 700 pcs button head" from Team KNK hardware. "700 pieces of A2 stainless hardware. Kit includes: 50 each of button head 3mm x 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 25 and 30mm lengths, 100 each of 3mm nylon insert locknuts and washers."

I havent run out yet... and only 2 bad screws so far and one odd sized washer in the bunch lol
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road

nice build - I like your choice of hop-ups.

spur gears are noisier than helical gear on a like-for-like basis, but because Tamiya uses nylon gears, the orginal spur design will be quieter than the metal helical alternative. I agree with the view that stock ones are good till you break 'em, at which point you can justify the upgrade!
Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 PM

Stuff

I went to Team KNK and found the “Pro Pack 700” and that looks like the way to go. Are there enough screws and locknuts of the proper size to do a complete truck (Freightliner)? Looking at the manual, it appears that all the screws that go into plastic, such as the cross members, are “tapping screws”. Are any tapping screws included in the Pro Pack 700? If not, how did you screw them into the plastic cross members?

mavrick0, sorry for all my questions on your thread but do appreciated all the help and information.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrucker2 View Post
Stuff

I went to Team KNK and found the “Pro Pack 700” and that looks like the way to go. Are there enough screws and locknuts of the proper size to do a complete truck (Freightliner)? Looking at the manual, it appears that all the screws that go into plastic, such as the cross members, are “tapping screws”. Are any tapping screws included in the Pro Pack 700? If not, how did you screw them into the plastic cross members?

mavrick0, sorry for all my questions on your thread but do appreciated all the help and information.
Self-tapping are not necessary. Regular 3x.5mm machine screws will cut their own threads into the plastic pieces just fine and they won't strip out as long as you don't keep tightening them after the head snugs down to the frame rail. Even after building a chassis and disassembling it a few times to make changes, I've had no problems with the holes stripping.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Green Horn

Nothing to be sorry about rctrucker2, that's what we are all here for. As Espeefan said you don't need the self tapping. I've been replacing the Tamiya screws for years with no issues. Actually the machine threads hold better in my opinion. But as I said before get a good set of drivers or you'll be cursing. A cheap set or L-wrenchs won't hold up to what you need and will strip or strip out the head of the screw. Also as some one else mentioned you can by a M3 tap and pre-thread the plastic to save a little bit of work.

Thanks for all the help on the screws guess. M3 isn't an issue for me to get, even M2 if I want capheads. But where the issue came was getting the buttonheads but after talking to Fastenal after get a PM from silvertips about seeing them since that's where he's got all of his screws from out in BC I have mine ordered. So in about a week I should have them in my hand. Good thing the majority of the truck is M3 so it won't be so much rebuilding. lol.

ricm, I totally agree with you but figured since I was making a huge order might as well add them in and try them out. As much as I haven't run the truck, just bench testing I notice that the tranny actually coasts more when you let off the throttle. Now whether it's the motor or what I think is the weight of the gears let it continue to spin.

I just got home from doing my run down to the US to pick up the 30 plus packages waiting for me and I'm really excited. I'll get some pics up of what I ordered and what is coming up to be built and rebuilt. lol.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Green Horn

As promised here a few pics of the items I picked up today.

The trailers will get my usual strip down and rebuild in my style, specially the Tamiya flatbed, the other will probably get a little TLC. I'm about 95% happy with it just needs a few little touches to finish it up. Anyone have any suggestions on the Bruder trailer in the way of wheels and tires or anything at all?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Going to look great with the aluminum wheels and polished 1/2 fenders. Heck any after market wheels looks better than stock plastic.

Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Green Horn

Thanks. I'm not totally sold on the half fenders yet. I also have a set of quarter fenders from the knight hauler on the way as well since the frame is already drilled for them. I do agree with you on the aluminum rims vs. stock but I did try dull coating the stock wheels on the knight hauler when I did it and they did look pretty good. Got rid of that way to bright chrome look.

Anyone installed the half fenders before? Just wondering how you mounted them to the brass frame mounts. I was thinking double sided tap or possibly drilling and screwing once I had them in a spot I liked them.

Last edited by mavrick0; 05-22-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

the pro pack doesnt have the tapping screws. I tried to talk them into carrying a couple sizes of them for us tamiya guys and they didn't seem interested. They still work well for the suspension parts and anything else that needs bolted together. What I did for the self tapping is I bought a 1lb bag of leftovers from semi joe's. thats kept me in the self tapping supply pretty good!

reason I liked it so much was that there is upto 30mm long bolts in the pack. thats whats needed for highlift axles to get bolted through the holders and into the leaf springs lol

I still have a ton of hardware left over and its great for tinkering. gonna need to get some nut sometime though.
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -