RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Work Shop For Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNmayhem View Post
Hey Nathan thanks for the compliments. I absolutely love my lathe from them and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have the brushless hi torque setup and it is unstopable. I have taken off .075" before in one pass and it just keeps going. Pretty stout for its size.

I will eventually be getting their mill but I have to save a little more before I make that plunge quite yet. I'm also thinking about going cnc but am still unsure of the price yet if it's worth it at the moment.

Tyler
Thanks for the info, Tyler! I see you have the digital readouts on the carriage and crossfeed as well. I would definitely want that. I believe that's standard, on the brushless model. Very good! You should definitly get the high torque mini mill. I love mine. How was your lathe, right out of the crate? Did you have to do any adjustments or set-up, to get it accurate and making chips? My mill took some considerable work to set-up how I wanted it, but it's the best investment I've made so far, in this hobby, as far as tools and equipment goes.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Journeyman

rockNmayhem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Thanks for the info, Tyler! I see you have the digital readouts on the carriage and crossfeed as well. I would definitely want that. I believe that's standard, on the brushless model. Very good! You should definitly get the high torque mini mill. I love mine. How was your lathe, right out of the crate? Did you have to do any adjustments or set-up, to get it accurate and making chips? My mill took some considerable work to set-up how I wanted it, but it's the best investment I've made so far, in this hobby, as far as tools and equipment goes.
Nathan the brushless is all that is available now and it is well worth it. As for setup there wasn't much other than cleaning the carrage and setting my zero's. The crate was very sturdy and everything came ready to go. I added the digital read outs later on and absolutely love them, they are worth their weight when running multiple pieces of the same dimensions.

Tyler
Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Journeyman

Well as with any project or build there is always a first design then there are versions 1.5 and so on and so forth so why not have the same when building a new work room?

Anyways I got to thinking today that I just felt like I didn't have enough usable room that I'd like to have so I rearranged a little bit this evening and came up with design phase #2. I just didn't like not having any shelf or work bench space next to me that I was so accustomed to so I moved my work bench that I had the lathe on over next to the long leg of the bench where I would be building and decided that is what I was looking for.

I really like having the bench next to me and it almost doubles the work top area from only being 8ft long to now having another 6ft section next to it allowing me plenty of work top space and extra under counter storage next to me as well.

I also plan on putting several more shelves on the left side of the peg board over the new work bench to maximize all the available space I have. The shelves are only going to be 2ft wide but they will work good to keep hardware and odds and ends parts for projects on.

There are still a few things I need to add to it such as shelves underneath and put a back to it but hopefully I can tinker with that later this week after I get time to run to the hardware store. I also need to extend the top of the bench and fill in the 2ft void but that will make a nice little cubby hole underneath to store other stuff.

Anyways here are some new pics of what design stage #2 looks like so far.

And as you can see it didn't take long to start filling shelves up with what little bit I already had.

I'll keep updated with the new changes and hopefully there aren't too many more as I'm ready to start building my newest projects and get a few more things finished up soon.

Thanks for all the compliments guys and gals,

Tyler
Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Looking good Tyler
If I can't have a cool basement workshop of my own , at least I can admire yours and pretend for a minute?

I know everyone has a different comfort or flow to their workspace and not sure what you think but.... It's hard to tell in the pics but, do you have enough room to fit an island type bench in the center of the room? It's always nice to have a center work area for the task at hand, gives you 360 access to it and you are surrounded by all the tools and equipment you need.As a mechanic, I'm real fussy bout that at work.... Everything in its place .... Ya, I'be been told I'm OCD. Lol.

To control my behaviour, when I get home. I leave dirty clothes laying around, garbage all over, leave the seat up...... Lol JK.

Mario

Last edited by Supermario; 03-12-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Apprentice

Mama Sue is on a distinguished road

Just to clarify...He doesn't leave the seat up...lol...

The set up looks real good. I'm sure you can start your next project any time. You will probably modify your space as needed..

Susan
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Journeyman

Well spent the better part of the evening after work and dinner trying to finish up the back room. I got the last part of the work bench built last night and made sure everything was were I needed it so I could paint today.

I had some leftover paint from the garage when it was painted so I opted to use it for a sealer and to brighten up the work area.

After a couple hours of painting, the first coat is done. I will have to hit it again tomorrow afternoon to get some of the bleed through spots from ink on the wood but it seemed to work out pretty good for what I needed. Anyways here are some progress pics from tonights work.

Started out with some blue paint and turned it into white.

And luckily no more brown board staring me in the face. I love the clean look of the white and it really helped to lighten the work area up a ton.

Thanks for looking and watching my fun project and moving. I hope to have it all done this weekend so I can start on a new project next week just for the up coming show at the end of next month.

Tyler
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Looks like an area a guy could spend endless hours working in

Nevermind the Island bench idea , you got it looking pretty sweet Tyler
Thanks for sharing, you have reminded me that project #1 this summer is install a furnace in my garage and have a year round shop to work in!

Mario
Old 03-17-2013, 05:58 PM

sandfarmer is on a distinguished road

Good looking work area!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Looks a lot nicer then my work area! Of course mine is always a disaster! When I can't find the parts or tools I set down on my workbench, then I try to clean it up some.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Looks a lot nicer then my work area! Of course mine is always a disaster! When I can't find the parts or tools I set down on my workbench, then I try to clean it up some.
Nathan that is the way my workbench normally sits with as small as it was and once you realize you're missing that one last little screw to complete something you don't realize it was that bad.

Hopefully with all the room and space for everything it should make it much nicer to have all the work area.

Tyler
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Journeyman

Well I did spend most of my sunday afternoon finishing off a few things for the work benches and cleaning up the old room so that I could move some storage into it.

It didn't take long though to realize that even with all the extra space it does fill up quicker than one would think. I got rid of some extra stuff and spread some other things out making the room feel like it shrank in a matter of a few hours.

Anyways I about have the new work room together and ready to start working on projects again. All I really have left to do is grab a few more shelf braces and brackets for under the benches to finish them off and then run my wiring for a couple of new receptacles and put in another breaker just for the work space. Shouldn't take too long this week to get it together and up and running.

Here are a few pics of how it sits at the end of tonight. As I said it didn't take long to start filling up spaces.

A clean old work room like this.....

Leads to a much larger new work room looking like this.......

And after several hours of sorting and going through stuff I am getting closer to having work tops again.

Thanks for all the compliments on the new room and the motivation to keep going. This simple weekend project sure turned out to take longer than anticipated but it is worth all the effort to have more building space.

Tyler
Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 AM
Apprentice

Mama Sue is on a distinguished road

Looks good
Old 03-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Green Horn

rcman is on a distinguished road

always great to get more work space! Im going to redo my area this spring too! hopefully get rid of some things I dont need anymore and finish my work area.