RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 AM
Green Horn

Straywolf is on a distinguished road
Question Question on hiding elctronics...

What i would like input on is where does everyone hide there sound systems,electronics,etc,etc? I would like to attempt a day cab with interior but i have a hard time trying to wrap around in my head where to hide stuff?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question on hiding elctronics...

Remember that you can use your fuel tanks for battery-boxes and the steps for hiding items as well.

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinoz View Post
Hi Mike.

I have not done a day cab yet, but I was thinking of putting ever thing under the bonnet if you used a servonaut sound system and small esc, and put the battery between the chassis and cover it with checker plate covering.

Hope this is a help.

Regards Ralph (lostinoz)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Control Trucker View Post
Remember that you can use your fuel tanks for battery-boxes and the steps for hiding items as well.

- RCT
Thanks for info

I have built one Day cab before but i stuffed everything in the cab and under the hood. So i guess i need to go with smaller items, my problem is i love to use aftermarket parts cause the ones which comes with the kit i just really don't like the look's of the item's.

Right now i am in the planning stage's of doing another Day Cab (which will take awhile before i get started) it's just right now i am having the brain fart's as where to put it all, i know some hide the batteries in the frame but i guess it's a smaller one, my problem is i really want to build a Day Cab with interior and once you use the items in the kit there is no room.

The only other way i can see doing it is use the sleeper also but i don't wont to. I just love the Day Cab look, well back to racking me brain and agian i thank everyone for their input on this

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Mike I have built 3 day cabs with mfu's you just have to get creative. My green triaxle also has the vibration unit too.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in PA View Post
Mike I have built 3 day cabs with mfu's you just have to get creative. My green triaxle also has the vibration unit too.
Well now i am gonna have to go back to your build threads and study them

Mike

Old 05-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Wannabe

Brel is on a distinguished road

on all three of my Euro trucks I put the electronics in the cab and cheat by painting the cab windows black
Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brel View Post
on all three of my Euro trucks I put the electronics in the cab and cheat by painting the cab windows black
I did the same on my first Day Cab i blacked out the windows, but this one i want to build i would like to challenge myself and do a full interior, so thats where i am trying to figure with this old brain of mine how to do it

Thank You everyone for all the ideas.

Mike

Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Hollowed out fuel tanks and cab steps/battery boxes work well for hiding some items, but only the smaller ones. There are quite a few ESCs out there that can fit into a cab step, tool box step, battery box step, or fuel tank. You can also hide a radio receiver inside such items, but to keep a full interior, the bigger stuff, like a sound or light unit would have to go under the hood. If you have a headache rack/drom box, small battery packs can fit inside those as well, but you'll mostly be stuck running a smaller LiPo, or an 2/3A NiMh pack, which is about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of a larger Sub-C NiMh pack. Likewise, a smaller battery like that can also fit under the hood, or between the chassis frame rails. The only problem with an 2/3A NiMh pack is they have reduced capacity. Only about 1600 mili-amps at best. You can buy a 2S LiPo pack the same size, with about 2250 mili-amps, which is a lot better. Trucks like these do not draw a lot of current, so run times will still be decent. In the 20-30 min range.

Some electrical items can be hidden in the cab too. Stick them to the roof, because a big drop visor will hide them from view. Servonaut's speed controllers and sound units are actually pretty large, but thin. They can be hidden out of view that way. Or mount them to the cab floor, and make a false floor to cover them up.

Something else to consider......ditching the Tamiya 3 speed transmission and going with a more compact gear head or spur gear motor will free up a ton space! Yes, you'll give up having three gears, but I've had 3 speed trucks, and never found myself shifting gears that much anyway.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Green Horn

Talking Re: Question on hiding elctronics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Hollowed out fuel tanks and cab steps/battery boxes work well for hiding some items, but only the smaller ones. There are quite a few ESCs out there that can fit into a cab step, tool box step, battery box step, or fuel tank. You can also hide a radio receiver inside such items, but to keep a full interior, the bigger stuff, like a sound or light unit would have to go under the hood. If you have a headache rack/drom box, small battery packs can fit inside those as well, but you'll mostly be stuck running a smaller LiPo, or an 2/3A NiMh pack, which is about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of a larger Sub-C NiMh pack. Likewise, a smaller battery like that can also fit under the hood, or between the chassis frame rails. The only problem with an 2/3A NiMh pack is they have reduced capacity. Only about 1600 mili-amps at best. You can buy a 2S LiPo pack the same size, with about 2250 mili-amps, which is a lot better. Trucks like these do not draw a lot of current, so run times will still be decent. In the 20-30 min range.

Some electrical items can be hidden in the cab too. Stick them to the roof, because a big drop visor will hide them from view. Servonaut's speed controllers and sound units are actually pretty large, but thin. They can be hidden out of view that way. Or mount them to the cab floor, and make a false floor to cover them up.

Something else to consider......ditching the Tamiya 3 speed transmission and going with a more compact gear head or spur gear motor will free up a ton space! Yes, you'll give up having three gears, but I've had 3 speed trucks, and never found myself shifting gears that much anyway.
Thank You very much, there is some very useful info here. Now to start planning and such. Also for loseing the 3 gears i am not worried about that i really don't like the 3 speed that much i want to make as real as i can to a real life rig.

Mike

Last edited by Straywolf; 05-14-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added a thought