RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

Here's a new project I'm going to start building. It's a 1950 Kenworth needlenose. I figured I'd mix it up a little, and work on this one, in between working on my Wedico Peterbilt, which has been slow going. This build should go a little quicker, for a handful of reasons, but it will not be without it's own set of challenges.

To start with, it's a 1/16 scale model, which means it's quite a bit smaller then my Wedico Peterbilt, and a lot smaller then a Tamiya. I took a chance when I bought the cab. I wasn't sure just how much smaller it would be. The plan was to fit it to a Wedico chassis, but I knew it wasn't going to be a simple bolt on affair.

I borrowed the chassis of my Peterbilt, just for some mock up. Yup, it's not going to fit that easily! Both the front driven and non-driven axles are to wide for the cab. The chassis is also to wide. The cab doesn't even sit down properly, but if it did, the rear axles would fit the width of the cab pretty decent, even if they are a little wide also. Hmm, what to do.

A driven front axle is out of the question, and I don't want this build to get to complicated, so I thought I'd try the lift axle I built for my Peterbilt, under the cab. I narrowed this axle up quite some time ago, and low and behold, it fits the cab very nicely. Don't mind the super singles. They won't be staying for this build.

A little more playing around to figure out if the ride height will be acceptable, and if the tires are close to the right size. I thought at this point there was a good chance it would work all right, so I went ahead and built a mock up narrow width chassis to really get an idea for what this project might take.

I had some spare parts laying around, and figured I might as well use them. An Osswald front suspension I had on the bench, designed for the Wedico, ended up fitting well. I machined my own front cross member to tie a set of blank frame rails togther too. I have to say it looks promising at this point, but there is still much more to figure out. We'll see how the rest of it comes together.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
Love the cab, is that solid aluminum? Looks it.
Here is a link to them.

Click here for the link.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 02-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Love the cab, is that solid aluminum? Looks it.
Sharkey, yes it's a cast aluminum cab, made by All American Toys. The grille that is designed for this cab is a popular choice for guys who build the K100 trucks, out of Globe Liner kits.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

Those are gonna be nice!

Rob
Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 PM

404 is on a distinguished road

The build quality looks very German, in a good way of course!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys.

I have a few more photos to share. In order to build a chassis to fit the Kenworth cab, I needed to run a narrow chassis up front, but standard width in the rear, so that all the Wedico components would fit like a stock truck. I was not going to narrow any rear axles, or build custom ones, so my solution was to make a chassis member that would allow me to transition the chassis from narrow, back to standard width. Here are the photos of the frame member -

One solid billet frame member, to connect the frame rails. I am sure it will be plenty strong, so even if the frame rails aren't continuous, I know it won't fail.

Like my Peterbilt project truck, I decided to go with a planetary gear box, mounted under the cab. Space is even tighter with the Kenworth, so this will be a big help. I also like the simplicity of having a strong single speed transmission. I machined the frame connector to accept a 16:1 planetary gear box. A 20:1 is identical in dimensions, so if need be, I can switch to one.

Assembled, my front cross member, and the frame connector, serve as a good place to mount the steering servo.

These photos are before I machined the frame member 100%. The cut outs for the motor and wires haven't been machined yet, but in these photos, I was mostly checking the fit of the frame rails, as well as the fit of the servo.

The drag link, from the servo to the steering knuckle will be nice and direct.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

jolly Good show Nate . great work on the frame piece . Hmm maybe we'll see a truck runnin from you some day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Beautiful work Nate. Keep it up, love the idea of something so unique and custom in every way.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Nice!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Your off to a killer start on these!! Deffinitaly be some cool trucks when complete.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Man that shop looks amazing!!! Some really beautiful examples he has, the truck near Warwick, England, I have been to before that he shows in his pictures, have a look at the Peterborough Truckfest, and also Shepton Mallet truck show, I go to these every year in England. Loads of videos on you tube! Peterborough Truckfest, is the UK's largest. The massive sheds display the Truck models, the set ups are great, and it was there that I wanted to get into building rigs. Every year someone famous is there, think last year, which I did not go to, was the Lady from Ice Road truckers she went!

Anyway, stop going on Sharkey, Espeefan, that quality of the work you are making is top work mate, really nice clean work on the step up frame piece!
Thanks Sharkey. I never really knew about the All American Toys Co. trucks until one day my friend Craig turned me onto them. He said 'I wonder if it could be RC'ed'. It would be about a two years later before I figured out the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
jolly Good show Nate . great work on the frame piece . Hmm maybe we'll see a truck runnin from you some day
Steve, thanks. Yes, maybe one of these years I'll have a finished truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Beautiful work Nate. Keep it up, love the idea of something so unique and custom in every way.
Thanks Craig! You and I both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Nice!
Thanks Reg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Your off to a killer start on these!! Deffinitaly be some cool trucks when complete.
Thanks Aaron. My Wedico Peterbilt is mostly sidelined, and this Kenworth is now front and center! The idea is to put a truck together a little bit quicker, and this one should be simpler then the Peterbilt. Trucks of the '50s era were quite a bit simpler! Hopefully that will carry over to the model.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Green Horn

bigdogrod is on a distinguished road

awesome build.

they have you on their website (but you probably knew that.. lol)

http://www.allamericantoyco.com/aatc...nathan_rc.html
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks bigdogrod. Yes, I did know that. I guess I better bring this thread up to date then! I planned to go in chronological order, a little at a time, but since you found some of the details of my build, on their website, I'll show the rest here. Not all the details have been shown yet.

I stole the rear axles and suspension off the Wedico Peterbilt. I just wanted to check the ride height, and how the truck might look. The frame rails haven't been cut to length yet, so I'm still figuring out how long is to long. Oddly enough I bought these frame rail blanks for the Peterbilt too, but the Kenworth wanted them more!

It's nice to get a good visual sometimes. In the rear, you can see it's sitting a little high. I had the same problem with my Wedico Peterbilt, after lowering the front end, but I've got solution for that already. If it works on the KW, it will also work on the Peterbilt.

Since mouting the steering servo, I had to mill an opening in the cab base, so the base could sit on the chassis flat. The cab base, and cab have these mounting posts that I also milled off. They would have provided a way to attach the cab and floor together, and also to the All American Toys chassis, but for a model that will be functional, they had to go. I needed the room for electronics, and so I will have to figure out another way to mount the base to the chassis, and the cab to the base. I don't think this truck will have much an interior either. Space will dedicated to the functional bits instead. I do not think the seats will be staying for long.

To get the truck leveled, I figured I would just notch the frame rails, so I could push the suspension bolster higher up, thus leveling the truck out. Not really rocket science, but it did take some time and planning. To keep the strength in the frame, I backed the notched area out with a backer plate. It's stronger now then it was before the frame was even cut.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I wasn't really happy with the Wedico cross members, so I machined my own. I just loosely based the designs off of photos of the real trucks I had seen, and while they aren't exact, they turned out nice. First the area below the 5th wheel. Then the cross member in front of it.

Time to drop the cab back on and see what it looks like, standing on it's own feet again.

I also thought I'd mill a window opening, in the back of the cab, while I was at it. I think Optimus Prime would approve!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Green Horn

bigdogrod is on a distinguished road

sorry, didn't mean to spoil the surprise..
Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bigdogrod, no harm done. The guys at All American Toys asked me what I was going to do with the Kenworth cab, when I ordered it. When I told them, they asked me to send some photos. After I did, they asked me if it was okay to post them on their site, as a work in progress. I said yes. If anything, it will give me a little extra push to try and get this one done before say....summer? I can hear some people laughing already! Ha ha.

Anyway, the guys who own and operate All American Toys are really good people. I don't think I've ever talked to more down to earth guys on the phone, or emailed. My hat is off to Patrick and Dean. Good customer service too. I give them credit for keeping it made in the USA.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 AM

404 is on a distinguished road

Great looking old rig, are those knobby tires staying on the front? Oh and while I'm here are you going to switch those cross member bolts with something like the rc4wd scale head bolts?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

That looks great! Too bad it's so tiny... Just kinding. It's one of my favorite truck builds! You should be able to finish it by next weekend....
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Very nice work Nathan. I wish I had a mill to play with and make my own parts....maybe someday, never know
This old K dub is looking very good and very unique. Can't wait to see more progress

Mario
Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 View Post
Great looking old rig, are those knobby tires staying on the front? Oh and while I'm here are you going to switch those cross member bolts with something like the rc4wd scale head bolts?
Thanks 404. The knobby tires won't be staying. The rims are super singles, from Wedico, and I was only borrowing them from my Peterbilt, for mock-up. I put the knobby tires on these rims because the Wedico on-road wides tires were rubbing the fenders at full lock. The knobbys are a little narrower, and they got by. I don't think the truck will look right with super singles up front, as it's a vintage truck, so new rims and narrow (stock) width tires are in the plans.

I'm not sure about using the hex head screws. They would certainly look awesome! Have to think about it. I do like the socket head cap screws, in stainless too. Makes them look like the polished hardware caps they use on the show rigs, which cover the hex head bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
That looks great! Too bad it's so tiny... Just kinding. It's one of my favorite truck builds! You should be able to finish it by next weekend....
Thank you Reg. It means alot, coming from a builder like yourself. And yes, it is tiny! Smaller then the Wedico Peterbilt, and even that one is small, by your standards. Finished by next weekend though....probably not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
Very nice work Nathan. I wish I had a mill to play with and make my own parts....maybe someday, never know
This old K dub is looking very good and very unique. Can't wait to see more progress

Mario
Thanks Mario. Definitely get yourself a milling machine! Best money I think I ever spent on tools for this hobby. You won't regret it. You'll find all kinds of jobs for it, once you start playing with one. Not to mention you can make some pretty cool parts to make your builds a little more unique. I'll keep the updates coming!