RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:43 AM

jdback42 is on a distinguished road
Default Scratch Build Cost?

I am just amazed at some of the scratch builds on here. You guys have done some great work on these builds.

So my question is this. What are the final costs for these builds. I know there is not a specific number due to different costs of material I was just looking for a ballpark figure. Just am doing my research on whether I want to just save up and buy the equipment from a vendor. Or try and do a scratch build or even possibly find someone to build one for me, if anyone is interested..I really would love to see what the cost of building the D11 that can actually do dirt work.

If you don't want to post the price on here please feel free to send me a pm.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 AM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scratch Build Cost?

this 1/10 th D7 i had 1300.00 in it just building the machine thats with my gas and consumables like welder wire and cut off wheels and it still isn't finished
Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 AM
Dozer Builder

and this one i was useing my scrap pile and other various things and i have close to 1000.00 in it
Old 03-30-2012, 04:26 AM
Dozer Builder

and this so far i have around 6 or 700 in it i kinda lost track and i was using some scrap and new metal and it is far from being finished......so it is all in what you can find to work with and what you can use to power your build with . Good luck and happy hunting for parts and building what ever you would like to build.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

It's a difficult question to answer. Often times you can look at something - a single part, or a complete model - without fully realizing the investment in tooling, equipment, time, talent, and materials to create such things. There is a lot behind the scenes, backing these builds up, that you might not consider.

It might not be so much a question of asking if it's cost prohibitive to just buy a model, or instead buy the shop equipment you need build your own. I think it's more a question of do you have the will, time, desire, skills, learning ability, and patience required to do it? Shop equipment and the skills to run to make what you need is an investment. The models themselves, not so much.

You can work for yourself for free, but you'll pay through the nose to have someone else build a model from scratch for you. Such talent and skills is expensive. Consider that fact that if you had the ability, you'd do it yourself, but if you want someone else to do it for you, it is going to cost you! If it comes down to you deciding to have someone build it for you, vs. just buying a readily available model, I'd say the readily available model is the better deal. Unless you want something that no else has, or you are well off and can afford it.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these scratchbuilt models could be valued at $10-$15K, or more. Maybe no one would spend that much to purchase it, if it was put on the market, but I'd wager some of the more elaborate models cost at least that, in time and materials alone.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Dozer Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
It's a difficult question to answer. Often times you can look at something - a single part, or a complete model - without fully realizing the investment in tooling, equipment, time, talent, and materials to create such things. There is a lot behind the scenes, backing these builds up, that you might not consider.

It might not be so much a question of asking if it's cost prohibitive to just buy a model, or instead buy the shop equipment you need build your own. I think it's more a question of do you have the will, time, desire, skills, learning ability, and patience required to do it? Shop equipment and the skills to run to make what you need is an investment. The models themselves, not so much.

You can work for yourself for free, but you'll pay through the nose to have someone else build a model from scratch for you. Such talent and skills is expensive. Consider that fact that if you had the ability, you'd do it yourself, but if you want someone else to do it for you, it is going to cost you! If it comes down to you deciding to have someone build it for you, vs. just buying a readily available model, I'd say the readily available model is the better deal. Unless you want something that no else has, or you are well off and can afford it.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these scratchbuilt models could be valued at $10-$15K, or more. Maybe no one would spend that much to purchase it, if it was put on the market, but I'd wager some of the more elaborate models cost at least that, in time and materials alone.
Thats true and I also agree with that
Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Green Horn

FlyingBeagle is on a distinguished road

I am very new to this hobby and so far have spent all of my time in it reading threads and watching videos drooling over the craftsmanship that is put into these models. Cost is the main reason I have not jumped in yet.
What I find intersting about this hobby is this. I have been involved in RC airplanes for years. I have seen planes that people have spent thousands of dollars on and years building that would blow your mind on the scale details, but if they were to sell it most would not expect to get out of it what they have invested dollar wise let alone money for the time. Recent example, I just purchased a 50CC scale edge 540 plane from a fellow club member. It came with all of the control linkages, servos, voltage regulators etc... The plane was little more than a year old and was in excellent condition. The kit cost $450 and it had another $450 in high torque digital servos and probably another $100 or so in misc hardware and electrical components. I gave him $450 and he was happy to get it. He had been trying to sell it for a couple of months for a higher price but no one was intersted.

In this hobby it appears someone can invest a couple of thousand dollars in a piece of equipment and then sell it for double that and fell they came out even because of thier time investment. Do we not spend time on this hobby because we enjoy it? Do we really feel we must get paid for our time. Scratch built equipment is one thing because it truly takes a craftsman, but A $475 knight hauler that is for sale for $900 because it has been assembled. Come on, I Would rather save $425 and not have to fix someone elses screw ups. Maybe Im wrong and it has to do with supply and demand, but it seems most everyone is trying to profit from the hobby and I just find it interesting.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM

jdback42 is on a distinguished road

I guess there are several ways of looking at this. I think most of the cost is that you are paying for someone else's knowledge. If we knew how to do it then we would do it ourselves. I personally don't have the equipment. If I did or knew someone closer I would definitely attempt to do a build myself.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBeagle View Post
I am very new to this hobby and so far have spent all of my time in it reading threads and watching videos drooling over the craftsmanship that is put into these models. Cost is the main reason I have not jumped in yet.

your off to a good start in this hobby , if you really want it you find a way to get it . I started in this going into a recession while in debt to my eyeballs with my residential excavation bizz and still fighting it . Yes I got some machines now most would love to have , but , if I wasn't making parts for others , I would still have my antique worn out machines and building like td9clyde . Any how I spent hrs reading the forums and searching the web gathering all the info I could .

What I find intersting about this hobby is this. I have been involved in RC airplanes for years. I have seen planes that people have spent thousands of dollars on and years building that would blow your mind on the scale details, but if they were to sell it most would not expect to get out of it what they have invested dollar wise let alone money for the time. Recent example, I just purchased a 50CC scale edge 540 plane from a fellow club member. It came with all of the control linkages, servos, voltage regulators etc... The plane was little more than a year old and was in excellent condition. The kit cost $450 and it had another $450 in high torque digital servos and probably another $100 or so in misc hardware and electrical components. I gave him $450 and he was happy to get it. He had been trying to sell it for a couple of months for a higher price but no one was intersted.

this 1 is no different

In this hobby it appears someone can invest a couple of thousand dollars in a piece of equipment and then sell it for double that and fell they came out even because of thier time investment. Do we not spend time on this hobby because we enjoy it? Do we really feel we must get paid for our time. Scratch built equipment is one thing because it truly takes a craftsman, but A $475 knight hauler that is for sale for $900 because it has been assembled. Come on, I Would rather save $425 and not have to fix someone elses screw ups. Maybe Im wrong and it has to do with supply and demand, but it seems most everyone is trying to profit from the hobby and I just find it interesting.
what you see at times is a commercially assembled kit from someone who is just in this hobby to make $ . But , pay attention to what is included in that price . add a radio , MFU , a couple after market details and your exceding $900.00 easy not including the persons time . yes there are some that think they have a gold mine in a cheep cheesy slap together earl shibe paint job .OTOH , construction equipment are not cheap , (well depends on your definition of cheap)kit or scratch built .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Suffering from OCD like I do. I can tell you exactly what I have spent on my truck from start till now.

Parts and materials $1853.18
Tools $220.24

Total $2073.42

Expected expenses still to come till completion of just the tractor. $1600-1800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Just because you see a model for sale, at $900, doesn't mean it's selling for that. This hobby is no different then most. If you are able to recover 50 to 65% of what it cost you to buy and build yourself, you're doing pretty darn good!

Construction models are a different story. You don't see them for sale often, and when they are, they aren't that much cheaper then new ones. I have no idea what guys are getting for used ones.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Cost? Who's counting. I have no idea what I have spent on my dragline over the years. Lot's of trial and error parts have been bought but thanks to Ebay parts come cheap with some patients if you want to wait for that certain item to come up for sale. Building from scratch makes me happy with my hobby and really don't care what I spend.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

For me the hobby is the build process - I sell what I build so that I don't have a ton of stuff laying about or to fund the next build. I do try to keep things reasonable but my interest in what I could do sometimes gets me in trouble..

for example - I had pulled some favors and had that grill made for the 20000 Freightliner for Freddy - if I had wne to a local machine shop and had that made it would have cost well over $2K since it was about 20 hours on a CNC wire EDM - not something we can do..... but since it was aspecial one off thing I had some favors built up and the guy was interested in doing it as much as me - therefore it got done. Unfortunately he left for greaner pastures and I have changed postions.....but the opportunity was there.

I know that cost is always a factor - but if you spread it out, barter for things and generaly be patient a custom build is rewarding - and like said previously - you will be lucky to get out of it a bit more than the materials you have put into it.

Chris
Old 08-16-2012, 11:05 PM

anthonymcc is on a distinguished road

What kind of tools do you guys use to do most of your scratch building? Could a newbie/ beginner do some basic builds with tools around the house?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcc View Post
What kind of tools do you guys use to do most of your scratch building? Could a newbie/ beginner do some basic builds with tools around the house?
If you have never built a kit before, I would start there. Just pick a truck kit you like and build it stock out of the box. Tamiya's come with the unquie tools you need and if you have basic hand tools such as small screw drivers pliers etc. you'll be fine. Then when you have the basic assembly skills you can take the truck apart and start over, scratch building what you want. Sratch building from a beginner stand point is not the less expensive way to go to when your first getting started. You can easily build a basic truck and trailer kit with radio and have some fun for well under a $1000.00 if you do your home work. Scratch building could most likely take you well into the thousands depending how deep you want to get. That being said, a drill press, scroll or band saw and belt/disc sander are a good low dollar start to the never ending list of scratch building tools.
This is all just from my experiance and my opinion, there is a lot of talent, experiance and information on this forum. Use the search feature and search for tools, you'll find threads with pictures and descriptions of what some of the builders use. Good luck and and have fun!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:42 AM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcc View Post
That depends, I know some people whose idea of tools around the consists of screwdriver and tape! If you want to build in styrene, then you need a knife, sandpaper, patience, and imagination. Square stuff is obviously easier, but you can get curves too.

Definitely start like the OP and read as many threads as you can and you'll get great ideas. Also you might try looking at German truck/machinery forums as they have more varied builds and years ahead of us in the development of this part of the hobby. In europe there are many shops dedicated to scale trucks and construction. They also have many many large shows and more hobbyists in this arena on the other side of the pond. Some of them have joined this forum and shared their work. Our forum definitely showcases some amazing builds and people with a wealth of talent. Everyone was a newbie once!

I have seen amazing stuff done with brass, aluminum, steel, wood, plastic and even builds that mix all these to make amazing machines.

Last edited by SonoranWraith; 08-17-2012 at 10:44 AM.