RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:39 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough
Default Very interseting day today

Hi all.

Well little run down on what has been going on. Some of you know that I have been barely getting by lately and not had the cash to do anything with the truck.

Well I finally got sick of being broke and got sick of being non-existent to my whole family.. So I decided to just get the he!! out of both situations and go back to driving.. I found a great job basically local oil field work that is 60-70 hrs a week pays $25 hour with over time after 40 and benies..

It's 4 hrs from here so I can still come back on my days off to see my kids (I think they liked it better when i was home for 3 days a month anyway).

Now the problem was that they needed me to start most likely next week. This caused a big problem because I would not quit the school without a 2 week notice. So what to do.

Well things work in weird ways sometimes. Today after talking with the lady at the new company and having her tell me when they would need me to start if they hire me, I decide to go in and talk to the boss.

I sat down and was going to discuss maybe having him lay me off that way I could leave when I needed to and still be in good with the company and get my vacation pay, be able to come back if I wanted ect. Since we had NO new students start last week and 1 start the week before and 2 start this week I figured the case could be made for the lay-off with corporate.. Well to this I got a hardy chuckle out of the boss he said funny I should mention this at this time because he just got called today by corporate and they told him that he either had to lay off one instructor or cut us all back to 30 hrs a week... Now I was not in jeopardy of being laid off because of my seniority but if I wanted to volunteer than that would look even better for me to corporate (not that I care).

So here is where I sit now.. as of Friday I am laid-off. My chances of getting this one job are very good, but at the same time there are several of these jobs available to the point where these companies are coming into the school and willing to hire students to drive water tankers in the oil fields (NOT TO SMART).. So a good paying job is 98% sure.. worst comes to worst I go on unemployment for a few weeks maybe a month and go back to the school.

I thought when I retired back in April of '10 that I did not and would not get back in a truck, but after the BS I have been through with the wife and the rest of my family along with money over the last year and a half... I am to the point where someone had better not stand between me and a truck..

The good thing is that unlike over the road I work 12-14 hrs a day, I work for 5-7 days then have 3-4 off. So once I get out there and get a place I will have some time to work on the truck and now I'll have the money to work on it as well...

~Mike~
Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 AM
Green Horn

Smokin Joe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Very interseting day today

I'm glad things worked out for you Mike. Sounds like you had alot of pressure and stress. I know how it feels. Good wishes on your new start. Joe

Last edited by Smokin Joe; 08-31-2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Master A-Modeler

sneaky-pete is on a distinguished road

Good luck Mike......I hope everything falls into place for you!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Well didn't go to the oil fields like I was looking at doing. Instead I found a job that will not go away when they decide to stop drilling again.

I got a real good paying job running double pneumatics from the Green River/Little America, Wyoming area to either Elko or Wells Nevada and back. I have the freedom to work as much or as little as I want, plus great medical, 401K, profit sharing.. All the good things of a union job without the pesky union..

~Mike~
Old 09-10-2011, 11:27 AM

androiduk is on a distinguished road

Excellant news Mike I hope it all goes well for you and I mean that after being out of work for 2 years myself.

All the best,

Andy
Old 09-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Mike. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Any idea what your rides going to be. This also sounds like your going to be your own boss and someone else is writing the paychecks. Sweet.
Rob
Old 09-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Mike. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Any idea what your rides going to be. This also sounds like your going to be your own boss and someone else is writing the paychecks. Sweet.
Rob
Thanks Guys... Ya the ride is a KW W900L Aerodyne... And it's Purple..

~Mike~
Old 09-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Trucker47 is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear everything worked out for you and good luck for the future.

Chris
Old 09-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

Mike - glad to hear you found something that is flexible, sounds like you can have a bit of a long weekend here and there or more often than not . I remember when dad tried to hang up his driving boots for a little while - he was a real wreck, and a pain in the a$$ - never the same ya know - really missed it. - a real mess and edgy - probably money related but still a mess ......
Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Weaver Of Dreams

Here's the ride.

~Mike~
Old 09-19-2011, 02:05 AM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Well now that you have a week under your belt, how does it feel to be jamming gears again. Great to see they have a tandem dolly, those single, singles sure have a mind of there own.
Rob
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Well now that you have a week under your belt, how does it feel to be jamming gears again. Great to see they have a tandem dolly, those single, singles sure have a mind of there own.
Rob

Well not to toot my own horn but first off it's great to hear a truck shift without gears grinding... The drivers seat is a little strange..

One of my students from when I taught at the school in '08 works here and told me about the job. Well Friday he followed me over to one of the places we load and then rode in with me to show me where we load and how to operate the load out.. Boy he got a kick out of that.. Sitting in that right seat and trying to instruct me how to drive... LOL

It was I real neat experience to follow him over there from the yard (about 60 miles) I kind of felt a little pride watching him handle a set of trailers as well as he did.

~Mike~
Old 09-20-2011, 06:40 AM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Nice looking set up Mike .Good luck with your new job!

Brian