RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 AM

androiduk is on a distinguished road
Default New Tamiya Truck ?

Just searching through a UK site and come across this : http://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-m...roducts/366434

Saying new release expected 9th Novenber xome of you will know about it some might not.

Andy
Old 10-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Tamiya Truck ?

No disrespect to you guys across the pond but, I really can't get into the Euro style trucks. I just feel like they all look the same to me, usually the only difference being different headlights and grills. I like our U.S. rigs the best and I even enjoy most Australian rigs. Maybe its just me. I would really like to see another U.S. style tamiya truck.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:40 PM

I fully get where you are coming from , its a bit of daft one to bring out IMHO there is already a MAN 6 X 4 if people really wanted a 4 X 2 then shorten a 6 X 4 simple really , there are plenty of trucks around they could of brought out rather than bringing out another MAN.

Andy
Old 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: New Tamiya Truck ?

I really would like to see something new from someone. I mean I'm just too picky to choose from what is already available, mainly because after viewing/witnessing all the fantastic builds right here on this forum I just don't want any plain truck!!

The construction vehicles have got my attention, but MAN! I've already got sticker shock. But maybe I can use all my get out of jail cards on my better half this Christmas and get that sexy wheel loader. It made my day watching a video of it.

Err ... sorry if I went slightly off course. I'll go back to building my 1/16 RC tanks now.

~ Jeff
Old 10-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Green Horn

JensR is on a distinguished road

No worries, we can't tell a Pete from a Kennie if you'd hide the badge.
Well, maybe Freightliner and Mack are discernible, but not really in COE configuration.

Also, it's hardly surprising that a MAN TGX 6x4 looks a tiny bit like a MAN TGX 4x2
It's an obvious choice for Tamiya, but a bit disappointing, no new parts for us, not even for "kitbashing".

If you don't want a plain truck, you have to make it special.
If someone would offer a special truck right out of the box, everyone would have one and it would stop being special. Of course, you could always get a Scale-Art - price alone will mean it stays special for a bit longer :-/
Old 10-12-2011, 02:16 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKNICK View Post
I would really like to see another U.S. style tamiya truck.
If you check out Modelman's 777 dump trk build, towards the end he mentioned courtesly asking Caterpillar to put decals on HIS OWN SCRATCHBUILT MODEL, Caterpillar said NO!

PACCAR is just as protective & greedy of thier namesake too.

You'll never see another american trk come from Tamiya.

Joe
Old 10-12-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
If you check out Modelman's 777 dump trk build, towards the end he mentioned courtesly asking Caterpillar to put decals on HIS OWN SCRATCHBUILT MODEL, Caterpillar said NO!

PACCAR is just as protective & greedy of thier namesake too.

You'll never see another american trk come from Tamiya.
IMHO thats a very poor view of the manufacturers to take after all it is free exposure , its not as if these models are good enough detail to give away trade secrets ! ! , if each model sold ment a small royalty payment to the manufacturer it would be something for nothing for them.

Andy
Old 10-13-2011, 02:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Licensing is a make or break deal, I think. Time was when there wasn't much concern about licensing, but these days everyone is getting really protective of their brand names. A perfect example of this is model railroading. As far as I know, models of locomotives offered in various railroad paint schemes never required licensing. Then one day Union Pacific required everything with their name on the side of it to be licensed. Not only that, but they also required licensing for all the old railroads they bought out in the past. So not only are they protecting their own name, but the name of serveral other railroad companies that do not even exist anymore.

I heard a story about Caterpillar like that too. I read that Caterpillar bought the General Motors locomotive division. That division is called Electro-Motive Division. Or EMD for short. Once Cat got their hands on EMD, a private website run by a man who had multiple old EMD manuals and information posted was contacted by Cat and was basically told he must remove all the EMD logos, manuals, and anything else related to their products, or else. Meanwhile, it never bothered EMD one bit. But it bothers Caterpillar. I guess it's their right, but it just seems like sometimes they go a little overboard. Probably just the way of the future.

I guess licensing doesn't bother me, but one has to wonder if PACAR flat out refused to even work with Tamiya on liscensing, or if they wanted to much money for it. I mean come on, Tamiya has gotten the licensing from MAN, Mercedes Benz, Toyota, Mazda, Volvo, Ford, Chevy, and many others, but they won't do it for an American brand truck?

Then again, it may not even be a issue of obtaining or spending the money for licensing, but rather that Tamiya just doesn't believe the North American RC truck segment is popular enough, nor worth the cost/effort to give us a North American scale truck, like they do for the Europeans.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Wannabe

Snowman is on a distinguished road

I think it might be a licensing issue because Tamiya so far have made 3 US style trucks that are generic-ish suggesting they couldn't get licensing (king, globe, knight) for a total of 4 US trucks. Strange. If you count 6x4 and 4x2 versions as the same truck (Scania and now Man), the number of euro trucks is only 4, same as US ones (excluding the merc box truck, it's virtually the same cab as the merc tractor). It's a shame Tamiya never made a Kenworth and Peterbilt, they are probably the most iconic US trucks, and the only ones that are more likely to be recognised in other parts of the world. But then that makes all our king hauler conversions more unique.

My Peterbilt build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I think it might be a licensing issue because Tamiya so far have made 3 US style trucks that are generic-ish suggesting they couldn't get licensing (king, globe, knight) for a total of 4 US trucks. Strange. If you count 6x4 and 4x2 versions as the same truck (Scania and now Man), the number of euro trucks is only 4, same as US ones (excluding the merc box truck, it's virtually the same cab as the merc tractor). It's a shame Tamiya never made a Kenworth and Peterbilt, they are probably the most iconic US trucks, and the only ones that are more likely to be recognised in other parts of the world. But then that makes all our king hauler conversions more unique.
I agree with you that kenworth and peterbilt are the most iconic U.S. trucks to the truck enthusiast. But even your grand mother knows of Mack Trucks. Every uninformed person calls a tractor trailer a "Mack Truck" regaurdless of make lol. Mack is truely a common brand know worldwide. I'm a Pete n kw guy myself, but I'm just amazed they haven't done a Mack yet, or a freightliner which is owned by mercedes bens which tamiya already got liscensing rights from?!? Why couldnt they just tell diamler/Mercedes "hey were gonna do your fteightliner brand now, ok?"