RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Tamiya Rep

janderson will become famous soon enoughjanderson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is this hobby dying in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Control Trucker View Post
R/C Trucking is NOT dying in the U.S.! In the past 20 years, it has hardly even been noticed by the mainline hobby industry. With every show that I attend people are always asking about the trucks and proclaiming how they have never seen them before.

In the Match/April edition of Road King Magazine, the West Coast Mini Truckers is going to have a 5 page article. It will mention the East Coast Mini Truckers, Central Plains Mini Truckers and the Deep South Mini Truckers, as well as www.rctrucksandconstruction.com. We have hope that it should renew interest in our hobby and bring new prospects as well.

Although the prices seem high, it is a recreational hobby that can be embraced by the young & old alike. You can choose to save up and make one big purchase or make several smaller purchases to build as you acquire parts.

It will bring opportunities for your children to learn how to work with their hands and give them a sense of accomplishment when they finish a build. Then they can drive it in your backyard, at a local park or in a safe corner of a parking lot.

For adults and the disabled, it gives you a project to work on in your spare time. When finished you have a beautiful display piece for your home and an operational unit to show off with friends and at planned recreational events.

Share the Joy
- RCT
I agree, and thanks to Jason for a great writeup. We (Tamiya America, Inc.) will even be giving away a truck for RoadKing readers to help promote the hobby.

We are are always trying to grow this part of the market, but today's society is a RTR, go fast and the go slow and realism is a small part of today. I have done multiple career days at schools in the past years, and really try to push creativity and what Tamiya does for allowing to to create your own work of art. I try to get through and to some I do but most, just want to pop a battery in and go fast.

I will never give up on getting kids to build. I have a 3yr old and he loves watching me build R/C and we build Lego's together, so there is hope.

**Also if the site owner(s) need help with the site and features all they need to do is let me know. I am willing to help, that is what I do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by janderson; 01-27-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:17 AM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Is this hobby dying in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderson View Post
I agree, and thanks to Jason for a great writeup...

Thank you for the kind words Joe. I really appreciate it.

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 12-27-2022, 09:13 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

This seems like a better discussion to rehash than looking at the people spamming this board.

What do you think?
Old 12-27-2022, 10:14 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
This seems like a better discussion to rehash than looking at the people spamming this board.

What do you think?
Agreed.

Construction modelers have options for electric and hydraulic RTR excavators around a $1k price point. Lots of mainstream options to purchase. Those machines will naturally create interest in dumpers and semis. I do see quite a few replica Tamiya truck kits now. There are also mostly-metal import truck kits from Lesu and JD Model. They're looking like entry level scaleart alternatives. Even more aftermarket axles, transmissions and wheels available now.

We're still excluded from most hobby shop inventory aside from commodity radio/servo/motors. We can piggyback on some rock crawler parts though.

I would like to see more events, but I suppose it's on me to travel to the ones already being held instead of complaining.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:58 AM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

I also agree...
Since this thread was started in 2016 it seems it was a worry back then too.
Blender is right there are a whole lot more options available now still kind of pricey in the 1/14 size but available....
I've only been doing this for about 4 years mainly because I like building things, I really like doing the old metal toys that I played with as a kid. Plus, they are closer to 1/16 so the cheaper WPL drive trains work perfect.
I can get a Tonka dump truck up and running in the $200 to $300 range, driving and dumping a bed full of dirt.... No I can't pull a small child around a show hall but I can play in the dirt AND I build it myself...It's not a detailed as a Tamiya but it doesn't cost 3 to 4K either. I would have never started this if that was my only option I wouldn't be able to justify the cost.
I think the entry level Huina and Huina clones, Diecast Masters, in the $200 to $500 range has brought more people in.
More events would be nice, there are 3 a year on the east coast (that I know of) that are in driving distance...
Old 01-01-2023, 05:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

I believe this hobby has become more fractured since this thread was started. This really helps boost attendance at events!
"Hey man, we didn't see you at this last meet, you ok?"
- - What? When was that one? Where was it?
"Oh, thought you knew..."

I get that a lot of people have moved to stuff like Facebook, since they can also go look at pics of their grandkids while over there.

Reddit, so you can see 1 post of interest for every 100 noobs asking why their rtr broke parts when they Yeeted it off a roof.

Instagram, why would i want to look at all of your particular build at once, when i can see every picture you've ever taken

Youtube, because it's great to have an incomplete series of hour long build videos. Plus you can ignore comments, and never have to say what donor parts were.

--
I dunno, i think this format works better to document builds.
But i just try to stay on the Cheap end of things. Plus it helps show that you don't need to drop $1,000-5,000 on a some type of toy truck just to go play with these guys.
Old 01-01-2023, 06:19 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
--
I dunno, i think this format works better to document builds.
Amen, Nothing else comes close.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:36 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

Absolutely... this is by far a better way to document a build....Way easier to search and find things...
Yes...it is harder to post pictures it take a couple extra steps but I don't find that all that difficult...
If you see a build on FB if you don't bookmark it you may never find it again....
I post over there but mostly on pages for hobbyists, guys that want to do conversions or upgrades or scratch builds...
This is my go to when I do a build thread... I'm really hoping they can keep this page going....