RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough
Default Fumotec: PC490LC

Hello all,

I have been wanting to purchase and build many of the Fumotec machines for about 5 years now (Bell 40T-ADT, D65 and the PC490LC) and that opportunity has finally presented itself. I placed my order back in early spring 2018 for a PC490LC and I received it late in July. I had been in contact with the Fumotec Team several times since I discovered their quality constructed machines, they were always quick to reply answering my questions in a timely manner.

I plan to display my build experience with you all so that you can see the process from start to finish. I have some experience building these models/machines form scratch and also kit form. My 1st scratch build was a CAT 535D Log Skidder, several Tamiya Trucks that have been heavily modified and a ScaleART CAT 963B track loader. I have to admit without this forum and the great friends I have come to know over the last 10 years or so, many of the builds would have not been possible for me!! Without their help and extensive knowledge in many areas (electronics, hydros., etc.) my builds wouldn't be where they are today.

So my package arrived while I was on vacation, so I was eager to return to see what was all in the box. The box seemed to weigh about 30-40lbs and was sealed up with Fumotec tape even!!

R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 08-22-2018, 07:03 PM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fumotec: PC490LC

After I unpacked the box I began to look over everything to see how complex the build would be. I laid all the components out on one of my benches. I had been told in the past by a few people that Fumotec models have no instructions and some parts would need to be refined in order to make them fit proper. As you can see there are parts made from steel, molded plastic and some printed plastic parts.

R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 08-22-2018, 07:09 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing your build, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:41 PM
Craftsman

Seeing no instructions...I figured I'd start at ground level and build upward. The track frames, drive motors and tracks was the point that I would start first since everything will sit on them.

1st: The drive motors and gearing

After the assembly of the motor and gear, I slide them into the track frame.

...... at this point I am wondering if I placed the set screws, flanged bearings and shims in the proper place...
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343

Last edited by Snochaser; 08-22-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:52 PM
Craftsman

....on to the idler wheels and tension springs and rollers, the process was very simple. Everything is sliding into place quit easily at this point..

I have a tendency to get wrapped up in the building process and forget to get a picture before each step of the specific parts.

The top rollers......

Side view with the printed pin keepers for the bottom rollers, they are fastened with 1.6mm socket head allens and nuts (misplaced a nut, luckily I was able to get one at Menard's of all places)

R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343

Last edited by Snochaser; 08-22-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:15 PM

Mech_Eng is on a distinguished road

I just ordered one of those myself. Deposit placed last week with a forecast delivery of February. No instructions? I'm in trouble in that case! Look forward to watching your build!
Old 08-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Congrats Snochaser and Mech Eng!!!! I'm looking forward to this thread. Keep the pictures and camera rolling! Any plans for color? I could have sworn I've seen someone with instructions.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:44 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech_Eng View Post
I just ordered one of those myself. Deposit placed last week with a forecast delivery of February. No instructions? I'm in trouble in that case! Look forward to watching your build!
LOL No, there are instructions!! ...just haven't gotten to that point in the "story"
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 08-23-2018, 07:02 PM
Craftsman

Next up is the main frame and slew ring/turntable:

The bearings are massive, the mass of this model is amazing. I have no doubt this will hold up to hundreds of hours of use!! I've been smiling the entire time to this point!

The bearings fit super snug! I put both of the large bearings in the freezer for about 30 minutes to allow them to fit with more ease and less force (you could do it without the freezer)

The turntable was finished off with a printed cover for the scale appearance and it will also help keep dust and dirt out

I then figured I'd move upward to the main chassis of the cab/machine so I began with the turntable drive motor and gearing, figured it was the next logical step.

All of the parts were easy to figure their placement.
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343

Last edited by Snochaser; 08-23-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:34 PM
Green Horn

thercfreak2012 is on a distinguished road

What colour you spraying it ? The factory yellow or green or blue or red or orange or pink ?
Old 08-25-2018, 01:29 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Congrats buddy on a fine purchase.

When I got my kit in 2013 it came with a color instruction booklet; every kit since though Frank has given me a link to a PDF with detailed pics & script, it's all German however, but bolt sizes & lengths to use with each sub assembly is easy enough to decipher. I print them off to have a handy reference.... there's lots of pics on his website too to refer to as well. Send Frank an email for the instructions.

Joe
Old 08-25-2018, 07:56 AM
Craftsman

Thercfreak:- it'll be the standard Komatsu Yellow and black/grey.

Lil Giants: Thanks Joe!! I very much appreciate the help!!! I will get to the instructions in my next post lol.
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 08-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Green Horn

Smile Re: Fumotec: PC490LC

Good being all original is nice are you gonna be having any working lights or beacons or sound unit ?
Old 08-26-2018, 10:45 AM
Craftsman

Thercfreak: at present time I don’t plan on using lights or sound.
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 08-26-2018, 01:34 PM
Green Horn

Fair enough
Old 08-27-2018, 11:14 AM

Colin11123 is on a distinguished road

If you give Frank a shout he should be able to send you the PDF instructions as said will most likely be in German but you can use Google translate for anything you need clarification on.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Very cool getting to watch a kit build of this kind come together!

I t's even got the cliff hanger of where's the manual, is he going to have to rework stuff when he finds it...
Old 09-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Craftsman

So at this point....I have never wired in a slew ring for the track-drive motors, so I reached out to Frank and asked him for some pointers on how to properly wire them by way of the slew ring. After asking the question ( which he relied to in less than an hour while on holiday) I was telling him how much I enjoyed the challenge of building his model without directions. To which his reply was a “wide eyed”..... you mean the manual was not included!?!?!? After that I was elated that there actually was a manual!!! The build has been pretty self- explanatory to this point anyway.......but I couldn’t imagine how easy it would be following a guideline of the process. Lol. Frank sent me the link, then I downloaded the color booklet!!! There are no step by step written instructions per say, but the color pictures of each step are great explaining the placement of each part and piece. Any of the writing in the manual are in German as to be expected but very easily figured out with the help of Google translate. At this point I went back and reviewed from the beginning the steps that I had gone through.(what screws were placed where, what shims, bearings etc.) Once up to speed on what I had only misplaced I only found 2-shims incorrectly placed in the right angle track dive assemblies. I had also assembled the track frames ahead of what is set forth by the manual.
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343

Last edited by Snochaser; 09-02-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

nice!! will be watching, always interested on builds and quality of these by frank.