RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:58 AM

DRW96 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking to get an excavator

Hello, this is my first post here.

I have been interested in RC construction for years, especially excavators. I'd like to finally look into getting an excavator, but I wanted to check to see what is recommended. I've done some research and found a few options, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Currently I'm looking at the Lesu excavators, either the Cat 374 or the Komatsu PC360. I generally prefer a Komatsu excavator for their looks, but I much prefer the Cat 374's larger size.

I also found that Fumotec makes a Komatsu PC490, but it doesn't seem to be much larger than the PC360 by Lesu, and it also costs a bit more.

My goals here are to have a usable excavator. I want something that can actually work. I also want it to look "scale" and realistic. I also much prefer a kit, as that will be a large part of the excitement for me. My budget is 5000 for a kit.

Are there any other recommended brands? Are the Lesu excavators of pretty good quality/reliability? Does anyone make a Komatsu in a similar size/weight to the Lesu Cat 374?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-16-2022, 07:52 PM
Wannabe

bigpipespete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking to get an excavator

Is that 5,000 US or Euro . Once you add shipping and other fee's plus exchange your European machine might go beyond your budget. But i think its safe to say you get what you pay for in this hobby.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:07 PM

Sorry, 5,000 US. The Lesu kits are both available under 5,000 US. The Fumotec is 4,999 US. I believe the Fumotec does not include electronics.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:07 AM

I received a message from a member asking if I had decided on an excavator yet. Apparently I can't respond to PMs yet, so I'll just answer you here.

I am currently leaning towards the Lesu, either the PC360 or the 374. I like the size and detail of them. I have read that some have had some issues with the pumps and valve blocks, but even if you spend the money on a better pump/valve block from Premacon, you would still have much less in the excavator than some of the high dollar machines.

I also looked at this one: https://www.eaglemach.net/114-rc-hyd...-boom-148.html

It seems to be pretty nice for the money, but I hate that its not a kit, and I prefer the Komatsu or Cat over a Liebherr.

FumotecUS never even responded to an inquiry, so I have kind of written them off at this time.

There are also some decent looking models from Aliexpress, but I just don't think I'm willing to trust them at this time, they don't even seem to have a consistent manufacturer.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-05-2022, 01:53 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road

I have no knowledge of any machines, but I share your sentiment. I'm skeptical of the Asian import machines. Euro machines are overkill (but beautiful) and difficult to buy. I'm hesitant to blindly bank transfer $5k+ to an organization that I can't ask a question of.

Certainly a barrier to entry into this hobby.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:25 PM

Jman is on a distinguished road

Is there any American made excavators for sale? Seems like there should be.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:43 PM
Wannabe

bigpipespete is on a distinguished road

I can tell you RC4WD is safe and good to do business with. I bought a dozer from them and spare parts and always have excellent service.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:07 PM

RM model Mack is on a distinguished road

I've been out of the hobby for a while and im back!
Just ordered an earth digger 360L, a trailer and a 6x4 Benz tractor.
A dump trailer is next on the list but that will be a bit.
RC4WD has a promo going on with a narrow bucket, wide bucket and lights included. I dont thinks things will get any better (cheaper) so jumped on it.
There are other machines out there but they are all overseas as far as I could tell

Last edited by RM model Mack; 06-23-2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Right now the Dollar to Euro exchange rate is pretty good
Old 06-25-2022, 03:40 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

And the way things are buying sooner rather than later will probably save you money...
That's a lot of stuff.... post them up when you get them....
Old 06-30-2022, 05:33 PM

Paulie is on a distinguished road

Something special came today. Im a strong guy but still needed assistance from my son, it is that heavy. It came VERY well packed and surrounded by thick foam. No obvious shipping related issues at all.

Out of the box Im very impressed with the quality and heft of this machine. As of right now I cant imagine wanting anything bigger/heavier than this. The Volvo decal kit arrived a few days earlier so it was the first thing done to the machine.

The promo included the narrow and wide buckets and the light kit

The hose protectors are a nice detail

Something equally impressive arrived today too...

With just 8 phillips screws and 8 allen bolts it is assembled. This is a real brute of a trailer and is so pretty in its raw finish its going to be tough to paint it.

The 360 sits well on it, although Im wondering how the 6x4 Tamiya Arocs kit Im about to build is going to handle all this beef

Old 07-01-2022, 03:32 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

You got some nice toys there...!!!
Old 07-02-2022, 02:31 PM

Im loving this stuff and cant wait to put them to work!

Assembled the 6x4 Arocs kit over a couple of nights. By far the most complex kit Ive ever done.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:10 PM

pufferfish is on a distinguished road

That‘s a very nice looking combination.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:13 PM

thank you!
Old 02-20-2023, 03:12 PM

I posted here months ago when looking at scale excavators and have still not made a purchase. I am still interested, however.

Currently looking at the following:
-Lesu ET35 - nice looking machine, but not sure I'll be happy with a compact model (I like the counterweight looks)
-CAT 6015b - the size is awesome but also has it's disadvantages. Can't figure out who makes the thing, which really annoys me.
-Lesu 374 - I like the looks and size, but the hydraulic system requiring upgrades and tinkering from the get go is annoying.

Are there any other models I should be considering at this point? How is the JZM stuff?
Old 02-20-2023, 04:17 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

The 6015B is made by Hydraulic Hobbies in China, you can find them easily on FaceBook. The ppl I know that have one don't seem to have any complaints. HH seems to have a good reputation for quality. That particular model is about 130 pounds, I hope you got a strong back

I've seen the Lesu ex's in person, quality of the kit looks pretty good, parts packaged well & the instructions well documented. But the hyds for the most part are junk & ppl who have got either, have replaced the pump and valves immediately. Also the cyls, I've noticed are tiny, especially on the 374, that's the majority of your digging power, how big the bore is. And I've also 'heard' (2nd hand info, take it for what it is) the cyls rod diameter is far too small as well & will bend if pressure turned up too much.

You mentioned unable to contact Fumotec? use this e-addy info@fumotec.de I usually get a response within 24hrs during weekdays. I've been a customer of theirs for 13yrs. I have most of their old models, now discontinued, and some of their new ones such as the 490 ex. Once built, I get hundreds of hrs of trouble free use... very smooth to operate, very powerful, very durable, highly recommend.

Joe
Old 02-20-2023, 05:22 PM

Thank you for your response! I failed to mention, I was able to get in touch with Fumotec eventually. My concern with their model was weight, it doesn't seem like it would weigh enough to dig in hard packed soil. Is that true? I do like that they offer a PC490 (my favorite excavator model). How are the scale details on it? It appears that much of it is plastic, is that true?

Last edited by DRW96; 02-20-2023 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added questions.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:05 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Depends on what type of soil, sandy loam - maybe, clay - not likely, not without a lot of passes 1st with a ripper tooth. I live in very dense clay & my 90mt Vario with an operating weight of 92# & pressure over 700psi with 22mm bores, breakout force at the bucket's cutting edge of 82# might cut 1/4" slivers at a time if it's fairly moist, a ripper tooth helps a lot! Any 40-50lbs model on the market today isn't going to cut hard ground very well without it being fairly wet.

I dug a 20 foot walk thru tunnel 7 yrs ago to connect my basement to my shop, the Vario did all the digging & my B50 adt hauled out all the dirt. That hoe is 13yrs old, north of 2000hrs with not much upkeep. I have 20 some vids playlist on utube showing the process.

The 490, I've never weighed mine, I think its advertised weight is 22kg, the beef is where it needs to be in the under carriage & house floor. The boom & stick are both 3D printed & I've never had an issue with any cracking, nor have I heard of anyone else breaking either part. I think there's a couple different details packages & it's virtually all 3D printed, I didn't bother with it.. if you want all the handrails, ladders, window guards ect, better to build from brass rod. The cab detail is pretty good. The power of this lil hoe doesn't compare to the much larger Vario so I've never done anything more than scoop loose soil with it.

Joe
Old 02-21-2023, 12:21 PM

That is really impressive! That amount of hours on one is just mind blowing.

I still keep leaning towards the 6015b. It seems like the most likely to suit my goals (Reliable, powerful enough to dig outside, realistic looking, fits budget). I'm hoping to mainly mess around with it in the yard/creek.

I haven't been able to find any good options in size between the 6015b and something smaller like the Fumotec. (That fit my budget)

One thing I read, I think on YouTube, about the 6015b is that people complain that it can't dig very deep. Is that a real concern?

Again, thanks for your input.