RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Full frame Dump trailer build ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
6 bar is 87 psi, that makes sense. But 6 kilopascals shows .87 pounds force per square inch, on my conversion app, not sure the kp is correct? Can you send a link with more info?
Cheer's, Neil.
Here is the link Neil

http://www.gardentrucking.com/detail...d#.UykHO2t5mSN

Trent
Old 03-19-2014, 02:55 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

The wdc telescope is great for bobtails, not good for trls. Especially 40' trls it's too short, for one to get great enough dump angle & two, not big enough piston for lifting more than a 20lbs box of dirt.

The wdc telescope in my KH dump trk is 14yrs old & continues to work perfect today. The cyl sweats a bit & there's a bit of an oily mess around the base, but I haven't added oil since the day I filled the tank with the 110ml bottle that came with hyd cyl kit.

Joe
Old 03-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

6 kilogram would make more sense, must be a typo!
Cheers, Neil.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Journeyman

Thanks for the input guys.... I have started a scale 22' frameless I think that the weidco might work as it has almost half the load. As for my 40' 1/4 frame I will need to revisit scale art or make my own...

Thank you
Old 03-20-2014, 12:46 AM
BANNED

22' should be plenty short enough for the wdc cyl to give you a good dump angle.

The wdc trl was (if memory serves me correctly) 27" long, which is 36' in 16th scale or 31' in 14th. A wet load needed some coaxing to empty out and the cyl barely lifted a full load of dry dirt when the trl was widened to Tamiya width.

Joe
Old 03-20-2014, 02:48 AM

Ekimjr is on a distinguished road

well thats a thought i had not seen that style before my use that kinda rig for one of my next builds
Old 03-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road

I'm part way through building a full chassis semi dump trailer with full wireless control to match my other trailers. I'm using a screw drive with a 540 motor and 100:1 gear reduction, powered by conventional 7.2V pack. I'm thinking this will tip pretty much any load.....but until I finish the build no way to really tell without some hard-*** math!

if you are struggling for a gear motor, try www.technobotsonline.com. They have the biggest range of gearmotors I can find - everything from micro 3v motors up to 45mm diameter 15V drives. Every available motor can be purchased with your choice of reduction gearbox, from their list of options. Good value too.

tip angle in the range 48 - 53 degrees should do the trick....
Old 03-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Journeyman

Lightbulb Re: Full frame Dump trailer build ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricm View Post
I'm part way through building a full chassis semi dump trailer with full wireless control to match my other trailers. I'm using a screw drive with a 540 motor and 100:1 gear reduction, powered by conventional 7.2V pack. I'm thinking this will tip pretty much any load.....but until I finish the build no way to really tell without some hard-*** math!

if you are struggling for a gear motor, try www.technobotsonline.com. They have the biggest range of gearmotors I can find - everything from micro 3v motors up to 45mm diameter 15V drives. Every available motor can be purchased with your choice of reduction gearbox, from their list of options. Good value too.

tip angle in the range 48 - 53 degrees should do the trick....
Let me know how that 100:1 works....and pics if you could....I just got my 16:1 today and wil try it first but that 100:1 sounds like it will lift anything....also saw they have a 500:1
Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Journeyman

here is the test set up with the 16:1

after the indoor test with some heavy 1 gallon paint cans I went out side and it was easy to lift a full load of dirt pretty good. However something in the 25:1 would be a little better for this size but it works good for what it is. The plus is the bed raises smooth and quick with a 16:1.

I will have to tidy up the battery and esc install and then I plan to add some more detail to the trailer.

here is the indoor test run
http://youtu.be/uODCWnFT0QM
Old 04-03-2014, 07:51 AM

JAKEBRAKE is on a distinguished road

Very cool engineering!! You did a great job on hiding the screwdrive. I have always been partial to hydraulics, but lately I have been re-thinking my position on that debate.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Looking great buddy!! Screw drive is the way to go!
Old 04-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Journeyman

I Did a few more test lifts with some dirt. made a few videos of how its working. I also got real lucky today that I didn't scratch it when I rolled it on its side. I was raising the box and manning the camera when it leaned to far and went over. Luckily the wheel top of stack, box side and mirror bracket took the hit. no paint damage! I will be adding more springs on the trailer and possible just put in a walking beam to help keep it more stable when raising the box. I noticed one of the arms is pushing harder than the other and think this is not helping the issue with leaning.

Test lifts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VXSh...CuEgE&index=14

The roll over.. OUCH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_RH7...CuEgE&index=13
Old 04-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road

Oh My word That hurts I think I know why it happened............
Old 04-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Journeyman

yea...operator error is what happened. LOL....luckily all the aluminum and chrome parts are all scratch free just the lug nuts and mirror side got a little scuff. the stack tip touched but the sides were missed...Im very lucky it has no damage.!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road

That's Good News Sir ) That type of rig need to be straight when the bed goes up in the sky.........CG is not to mess around with..... I was close wit my 1/1 truck sitting next to one other trailer dumping he's load......front of the box
landed on my passenger mirror....close call ugh.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Ouch is right! Man, I cringed just watching the roll over video. Not much different than a 1:1 roll over video. Lucky there wasn't any horrible damage done. I'll say one thing though, you did a great job designing and building that screw drive. It works really well.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

That roll over was hard to watch, concrete is so unforgiving I can't believe the truck wasn't a total wreck. Love your truck and trailer, great job.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Journeyman

Yes I was scared to pick it up expecting to see gray primer on the fenders and sleeper. it did knock the lens out of the turn signal but I did not haveit glued in.foundit and put a dab of ca glue to it and all was good......when I got home I did a little tinkering on the trailer and I noticed that the passenger side arm is pushing harder than the driver side. a little adjustment and It seams to lift a load more stable. the springs are still an issue as as soon as it leans to one side it does not want to come back to center. with a full load the forward trailer axel rests on the bottom of the frame. as soon as it leans its to much weight for the springs to fight. I have some extra leafs im going to try first and if that don't help I will put beams in.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:09 PM
BANNED

Fill your tires & fuel tanks will air rifle BB's, double the weight of your trk so the trl can't pull it over. The extra weight makes the trk get around great, especially when you're empty.

Something else that's better to do now, replace that plastic 5th slider plate with a piece of 2mm aluminum plate.

Joe
Old 04-10-2014, 12:51 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Fill your tires & fuel tanks will air rifle BB's, double the weight of your trk so the trl can't pull it over. The extra weight makes the trk get around great, especially when you're empty.

Something else that's better to do now, replace that plastic 5th slider plate with a piece of 2mm aluminum plate.
Would that work on my blue truck too?

Yikes that fall had me cringe too!! Glad nothing major got damaged!!