RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Master A-Modeler

sneaky-pete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

That's a killer start Nathan......I will be watching(no pressure)but hurry up.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 AM
Apprentice

Grainfarmer is on a distinguished road

Nice project. Looks fabtastic!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

Nathan, The needle nose is coming along at LIGHTSPEED. I still think your having way to much fun on that mill. So you'll have it running in a week or so? It looks great! Keep the updates coming!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Nathan a Suggestion why don't you split the cab right down the middle and widen it as wide as you want it. Then epoxy some strips down the inside were you opened it up and then use some Lab Metal to fill the outside of the cab were you widened it. You could ad some material to the wheel wells they look a little to narrow. Ed
Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky-pete View Post
That's a killer start Nathan......I will be watching(no pressure)but hurry up.
Thanks Troy! No pressure, buddy! I do hope this build goes a little quicker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainfarmer View Post
Nice project. Looks fabtastic!
Thanks Frank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Nathan, The needle nose is coming along at LIGHTSPEED. I still think your having way to much fun on that mill. So you'll have it running in a week or so? It looks great! Keep the updates coming!
Kent, thanks. I wish it was moving along at light speed, but it's not. It's not exactly a snail's pace either, so I'm happy with that. It probably could run within a week, as the chassis only needs a servo drag link, a tie rod to steer, and the rest of the electronics could just be thrown on top! The cab isn't attached yet, but I'd have a roller at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Nathan a Suggestion why don't you split the cab right down the middle and widen it as wide as you want it. Then epoxy some strips down the inside were you opened it up and then use some Lab Metal to fill the outside of the cab were you widened it. You could ad some material to the wheel wells they look a little to narrow. Ed
Thank you Ed. I don't think I will attempt to widen the cab. I'm a horrible bodyman. I don't want to loose the needlenose proportions either. I don't mind it being narrow. I think it looks great. I've already built the chassis to suit it. That was easier, in my mind. Both the cab, and cab base, would have to be wider, to match. That's way to much work for me! Someone else could try it?

Anyway, I have some updates, but not enough time to post all the photos. So here is a teaser. It will have to do for now. More to come, for the weekend!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Green Horn

wolfws6 is on a distinguished road

WOW, you nailed it!!!!!!! It looks amazing!!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Looking beautiful Nathan, what else do you have planned for the truck? I know it's a long way down the road but do you have a color(s) picked out?

Can't wait to see some stacks on the ole girl.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM

dirthalr is on a distinguished road

I love this build! Pure work of art! I love the crossmembers and the chassis mods. Almost a shame to cover them with paint. Wish I had some of your skills.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

See, I knew you could have it done by the weekend... You have two days left so get crackin!

Looks awesome! I'd leave it raw Aluminum!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Nathan what ever you did it looks real good very natural like it was made like that in the first place. Ed
Old 02-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfws6 View Post
WOW, you nailed it!!!!!!! It looks amazing!!!!!
Thank you wolfws6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Looking beautiful Nathan, what else do you have planned for the truck? I know it's a long way down the road but do you have a color(s) picked out?

Can't wait to see some stacks on the ole girl.
Thanks Craig. I have a laundry list of things to do on this truck yet. I need to narrow up another Wedico front axle, so my Peterbilt can have it's axle back. I need to make a drop visor, I would like to change a few things on the rear suspension, and I need to make some fuel tank saddles, but thankfully Kenworth's are much simpler then Peterbilts! I did a test piece yesterday, and I think it turned out pretty well, but it isn't quite what I want, so I'll be making a new test piece again soon. The old girl needs some stacks, some chicken lights, and I have to figure out how I'm going to mount the cab yet. I think, but I'm not sure, that the truck might get a winch also. Maybe a cable dump trailer is in the future? A good friend of mine sent me something for the truck too, which I'm pretty stoked about! I'll show that off a little bit later!

I'm not really sure what colors the truck will be yet. I would like to send it out for paint. Maybe seminole, red and black, or white and black. Or maybe something completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthalr View Post
I love this build! Pure work of art! I love the crossmembers and the chassis mods. Almost a shame to cover them with paint. Wish I had some of your skills.
Thanks dirthalr! I'm pretty happy with the cross members. I know it's nice to see things in the raw state, but I think they'll look just as nice with paint on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
See, I knew you could have it done by the weekend... You have two days left so get crackin!

Looks awesome! I'd leave it raw Aluminum!
Reg, I don't know about getting it done by the weekend, but thanks!

Quote:
Nathan what ever you did it looks real good very natural like it was made like that in the first place. Ed
Ed, thank you! I am really happy with the stance and look of the truck right now. I'll post a few more photos up in a bit!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'm going to be a little short on time this weekend. Spending a little time withy family, but I'll share some of what I've got accomplished this week!

So the big things I got done are this. I machined up a front bumper and I got in a pair of Wedico front rims for the Kenworth. I think the rims make a big difference to the look of the truck. I've never seen any trucks of this vintage with super singles, and I love the look of the standard with tires. Kind of compliments the narrow hood.

Best part is the standard rims and tires allow the truck to have full lock steering, in both directions, so that is good. The super singles had a slight amount of rubbing.

I made a part so I could bolt up a front bumper. I tied it into the front suspension hangers, and the front cross member. The Osswald spring hangers looked like a weak link. The material is really thin, where the springs mount with a shoulder bolt, so the bumper mount will beef them up. The shoulder bolt passes through the hanger's ear, and threads right into the front bumper mount, as opposed to just having a nut on the back side.

In the rear of the chassis, I started making a frame taper section. I will get the cross member, and a tail light panel, machined up a bit later. I thought I'd make the taper pieces, rather then cut the frame rails. It just seemed easier, and stronger, to me, though it took more time I am sure!

I'll try and a few things done this weekend, but I we'll see how it goes. Still lots more to do, even though the Kenworth is looking a lot more like a truck now. Thanks for reading.....
Old 02-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Nathan the more the pic come the better it looks. How much did you have to narrow the front axle? It is coming along real;good and with the narrow tires it really came to life I think. Ed
Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

Nate truly outstanding and fast work you are making of this.. I love you pete you are doing but this is my favorite I really like the stance and the look it has I already have 2 paint jobs in mind..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Journeyman

Kaf343 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nathen, this is awesome. I love the whole thing, your work is increadable.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Nathan the more the pic come the better it looks. How much did you have to narrow the front axle? It is coming along real;good and with the narrow tires it really came to life I think. Ed
Thanks, Ed. I think so too. The axle was narrowed quite a bit. About .6875" or about 17.5 mm. I am actually in the process of doing one right now, just for the KW. I stole the narrow axle in the photos, off my Peterbilt, for mock up purposes. It was a lift axle on that truck. The Peterbilt needs it back, so the KW has to have it's own. I think the narrow tires and rims fit the KW perfectly! I'll have to get some photos when the new axle is finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
Nate truly outstanding and fast work you are making of this.. I love you pete you are doing but this is my favorite I really like the stance and the look it has I already have 2 paint jobs in mind..
Paul, thank you very much! I've been trying to keep the pace up on this build. I want to have it done before summer. With the Peterbilt, I just got so bogged down on the details. This truck is a little easier (quicker) to build. No 6x6 drivetrain, the stance was already perfect, so it didn't need any lowering, it has no lift axle, just more basic, but classic.

What are you thinking for paint? I'm all ears. Been trying to find a paint scheme that I like. I'm open to ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
This is just amazing, you would be hard pushed to find a better Needlenose. Simply awesome and inspiring, the bar has been raised boys!
Thank you Sharkey! I'm just trying to keep up with the bar that has already been so high, for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaf343 View Post
Nathen, this is awesome. I love the whole thing, your work is increadable.
Thanks Kaf. I really appreciate the comment! Keeps me motivated.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:00 PM

dirthalr is on a distinguished road

just looking into the future
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50t3.jpg (11.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 50t2.jpg (11.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 50t1.jpg (12.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Apprentice

Grainfarmer is on a distinguished road

Nice build! Looks really great.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Dirthalr, thanks for posting some photos to get the creative mind thinking. I really do like that blue and flamed Kenworth, and I've seen photos of it circulating around the web. I probably won't go that crazy with the paint job though. I'm looking more for a working class show truck look. I could go really simple, with a two tone scheme, having black fenders, but I also have two other ideas. Seminole, or the classis paint scheme that has a triangular stripe. We'll see!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

So the weekend came and went. I was busy with family, so I didn't get a lot done. This morning I finished up one thing I did have a chance to work on. I narrowed up a new front axle for the Kenworth, and made some spring perches.

Jammer had asked about how much I narrowed the axle, and here is a stock width one.

Here is the one I narrowed for my Peterbilt, and stole for the KW.

If you look really close at the photo, you'll see I had to relocate the front axle forward, just like guys with the Tamiyas do. Problem with that was I only had two screws holding the leaf spring pack to the axle. I machined a couple spring perches to extend the mounting pads of the axle back, pushing the axle forward. That gave me 4 screws, instead of just the two I had previously.

Then a few pictures with the springs bolted down.

Now I have to see about making a tie rod and drag link, so I can steer the thing!