RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 12-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Default I need a small job done...

Somebody have a mill that is willing to do a small job for hire? I bought a set of RC Damper servo mounts for a King Hauler etc., I need them shaved down to fit inside a Wedico frame. Anybody that has seen how Wedico wants you to mount your servos knows they leave alot to be desired.

This is the mounts next to a Wedico cross member, need the new mounts to be same width as the cross member.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I need a small job done...

PMed you!!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Wannabe

mazdaparts will become famous soon enoughmazdaparts will become famous soon enough

What are the new mounts made of? It doesn't look like much needs to be removed. Would a file or dremel work?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Lynn! Parts are on the way.

Mazda, I spoze I could file or grind them down, I was wanting something more accurate than that.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Thanks Lynn! Parts are on the way.

Mazda, I spoze I could file or grind them down, I was wanting something more accurate than that.
thats what evrey machinist starts out with

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Backyard enginier

Izzy will become famous soon enoughIzzy will become famous soon enough

A disertation as to how to do it at home without a mill ---------

I like to use a digital caliper for this - measure the smaller piece and zero the device. then, measure the larger piece. Take that number (the difference) and divide by 2. Then re-zero the calipers and set them to the answer above, and scribe a line off the ned all the way around. Then grab the coarse file and go to town! IT'll only take about a day or so....... you can check the scribe line by using a small machinist square.

or

You can phone a friend, ship them the parts and wahla! they're perfect......no questions asked - no worries!

I know Claus wasn't asking for all this BS but as a 'back yard enginner' - I had to explain how this works.....LOL
Old 12-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I imagine files are how they used to do it, back in the day. Like back when all they had were stone wheels on their RC semi trucks!

I know Claus would never go for a filed part, but that's a nice explaination, Izzy. If nothing else was available, then it would probably work okay. If you take your time, you could even file it nice and square, but time is money!

Last edited by Espeefan; 12-10-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Spelling...again! ARGH!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:40 PM

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
I imagine files are how they used to do it, back in the day. Like back when all they had were stone wheels on their RC semi trucks!

I know Claus would never go for a filed part, but that's a nice explaination, Izzy. If nothing else was available, then it would probably work okay. If you take your time, you could even file is nice and square, but time is money!
yea I know Nate , just had to

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Wannabe

mazdaparts will become famous soon enoughmazdaparts will become famous soon enough

Nice explanation. Stone wheels aren't so bad as long as the suspension is up to the task.I prefer to make it myself, but to each his or her own.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

I just have to reply Would any of you guys that are building a vehicle that will probably cost over $3000 when done settle for a part that was filed or sanded down to fit when you can get the part machined to an exact dimension? I THINK NOT!!! I have no problem helping a guy out that does not have access to a lathe or mill to do even what you guys think is an unnecessary operation. Quality parts make for a quality build.

Claus did not deserve this kind of treatment on this forum for wanting a part that meets his desire for precision. Even if it was in a joking tone.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Wannabe

Wow. I fail to see where Claus was disrespected here. If I did I apologize Claus. I was just offering a suggestion, not mocking or jokingly.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 AM

Lynn , there was no disrespect to Craig . I'm glad you could do the work for him , I just have all I can take right now . And no , I would deffinately not want a filed part on a 3000+ dollar truck if all possible . precission can be accomplished with a file if need be , but it takes time . lets not forget , I started there with an old wore out hendey lathe . Also , I have a lot of respect for your skills and knowledge

Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Send them to me and I'll fix the size.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Lynn, got the parts back today, very professional!

Yeah, I've passed the $3,000 mark on this truck, and that hasn't included a radio, battery, charger, lights, sounds or trailer. Guess I'm just a Wedico sucker.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:15 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Thanks Lynn, got the parts back today, very professional!

Yeah, I've passed the $3,000 mark on this truck, and that hasn't included a radio, battery, charger, lights, sounds or trailer. Guess I'm just a Wedico sucker.
LOL!! No Craig you just enjoy the hobby.

Brian