RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 12-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Daveroo is on a distinguished road
Default a new guy with questions.

to start off,im a 51 yo disabled guy,i dont have the skill ( i was a plumber/Firefighter,im not the brightest guy.lol)to build my own rigs even though ive dreamed about just that for years,i have to say id never even heard of this hobby until about a month ago,but id had huge ideas for years,ya know,at a jobsite and see a rig working and think..wow id like that in smaller scale and RC!!!...
well i purchased a unit called the "scepter scraper loader" off ebay,i had a $25.00 coupon with ebay and i saw this unit for $33.95,couldnt say no...now im kickin myself as ive read up and it doesnt even have a "dump" feature.

heres the new plan (remember im on a set/limited income,i must start small)

ive had it planed since i made this first purchase to buy the 4 axle dump rig that "goes with" this one i bought,im also planning on buying the wheeled excavator,all have the 4.8v battery pack and im planning on picking up,up to 6 extras for longer "play time".
after ive gotten used to these,i will buy the "premium" version of the frontend loader that dumps.at that time id like to remove the bucket from this first one and turn it into a wheeled dozer,which makes me ask..
should i make it out of a heavy/strong plastic?..or should i got to my friends at a local welding shop ( some of you may have heard of these guys,Bast Bro's welding",if you are a speedway motorcycle racing fan,this Bast family has several national and world champions in it,my buddy steve bast ,now passed on,was the first american to win a championship in Australia) and have them make me a dozer blade from a light aluminum?all id have to do is take the unit and bucket to them and they could make the mounts ect off the bucket as a "plan"..
and to get started,can i add weight to the the wheeled excavator?...i have a feeling it will be so light weight it wont even dig in soft sand with ouot lifting the back off the ground.

how would i add weight?...under the unit?..inside like you would a tricycle landing gear model airplane?..i can make and pour my own lead weights as i still have my leadpot from my plumbing days.
so what do yall think?

Dave
Old 12-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: a new guy with questions.

Welcome aboard! Use this link to search for build on this site, and get some ideas,
http://rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6 lot's of info here!
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 PM

baker3 is on a distinguished road

One thing I learned a while back is to search youtube for product reviews before I buy. This will help you get an idea of what the toy can actually do before you dump money into it. As for the build, I cant help you out there because I just started my Bruder conversions and am a total noob at it but I can say that so far, Im actually into it pretty cheap!! Just search the forum for ideas and welcome!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road

first off welcome great site i'm semi new too.
i did the same thing. and ought a truck the kind of sucked, but after a while i got a bruder excavator convert, i did it my self and save little, but it ran me about 500$ from start to finish. and got a tamiya semi and a home made dump trailer and im set!