RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road
Default My RS700L build

Just wanted to show what im building. This has been a long time project in the making. I bought my KH the first year it came out. Its seen about 4 stock bodies and such thru the years and I always wanted to make a model of my Mack truck. I recently started to bring it back from the dead and will be converting it into my 1:1 rig, a 1977 Mack RS700L day cab

Here is what I have done in the last 2 weeks.

upgraded the drive line with RC4WD shafts,carrier bearing and locker spool in the RR axel. moved 5th wheel forward to reduce the push of the locker spool. It still needs to be adjusted a little more forward.

New RC4WD 2 hole budd rims and roady rubber on the rear axels
I also tinkered with the stock tandem springs and cut axel stopsto get about 1.250" of travel

I installed new low profile servos and added spacers so I can move the motor/trans forward.

started making the Mack air tanks, Batt boxes and 126 gallon fuel tanks

a side project is building a 48' Flat bed. I also moded the springs on this trailer so I get alot of articulation. with my truck/tractor spring set up I can really get thru the off road with ease. it will drive right thru the grass yard and not get the stock open diff wheel spin issue.

the cab Im having some issues with. years ago I started to mod the stock King cab to make it into a R model. I think I need to start over with fresh plastc templates as the R model has so many curves to it that its a PITA to just attempt to get it right with bondo.

well thats all for now....I have a RC4WD 55 turn motor and RC4wd front budd rims on its way for next weeks install.

I also want to give a big thanks to dabears,I met up with him last week becase I had lots of questions getting back into this hobby. He pointed me straight and got me rolling in the right direction

more to come next week!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: My RS700L build

made some end caps tonight for my fuel tanks, if your asking...Yes this is the Mack western style tank with a "bulls eye" on each end.. I think International used them as well on their Eagle cab overs.

The cool thing about this build is that the way Mack built their trucks I can use a Mack Cruiseliner cab over or RS700L on the same frame as many of the exterior components ie air,fuel tanks were placed in the same spot from Conventional to Cabover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel tank.jpg (94.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Cool build you have going here, Lmackattack. I am sure the challenge will all be in the cab! Something I could never imagine to attempt myself, but there are some really talented cab builders on this forum, who could probably help you out, or offer some good scratchuilding advice. Your 1:1 Mack looks clean and mean. I've never seen one with dual air intake tubes coming off one air cleaner.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 PM

kornfed is on a distinguished road

http://www.kustomrctruckz.co.uk/ This place has a Mack cab based off the movie convoy. Don't know if it's the same cab as your truck, don't know if you knew about these
Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Cool build you have going here, Lmackattack. I am sure the challenge will all be in the cab! Something I could never imagine to attempt myself, but there are some really talented cab builders on this forum, who could probably help you out, or offer some good scratchuilding advice. Your 1:1 Mack looks clean and mean. I've never seen one with dual air intake tubes coming off one air cleaner.
Dad's '79 Mack 300 had two intake hoses on the air cleaner, His '85 with a 350 4-valve Mack only had one.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornfed View Post
http://www.kustomrctruckz.co.uk/ This place has a Mack cab based off the movie convoy. Don't know if it's the same cab as your truck, don't know if you knew about these
Thanks for the heads up... I did see that cab a few weeks ago. It looks nice and if I can't fab up my own I may call them...

Regarding the twin tube breather....the one tube feeds the turbo the other feeds the tip turbine for the side mount charge cooler. These twin tube breathers were fitted to the late 70s early 80s 285, 300+, and early 300/350 Mack motors with charge air cooling. mid 70s Mack's with the 285 or 300+ would have fed the charge cooler via a backwards facing hood scoop on the hood with a Coffey can style filter just under the hood. The style you see in my pic was the better model as there was less stuff to mess with when doing maintance on the engine...

Some other versions of twin tube air cleaners can still be found today in very cold and snowy parts of north America. It's used to suck warm air from under the hood and reduce clogging with heavy snow conditions.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Glad to see the trailer is coming along!! Its looking great! It was a pleasure meeting you and showing you some tips and ideas!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the explanation, I got rid of all my older Mack manual's in 97, after buying my CL 713. My 88 RD didn't have that twin hose air cleaner, just a pre cleaner on top of the air cleaner can.
Cheer's, Neil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
Thanks for the heads up... I did see that cab a few weeks ago. It looks nice and if I can't fab up my own I may call them.

Regarding the twin tube breather....the one tube feeds the turbo the other feeds the tip turbine for the side mount charge cooler. These twin tube breathers were fitted to the late 70s early 80s 285, 300+, and early 300/350 Mack motors with charge air cooling. mid 70s Mack's with the 285 or 300+ would have fed the charge cooler via a backwards facing hood scoop on the hood with a Coffey can style filter just under the hood. The style you see in my pic was the better model as there was less stuff to mess with when doing maintance on the engine...

Some other versions of twin tube air cleaners can still be found today in very cold and snowy parts of north America. It's used to suck warm air from under the hood and reduce clogging with heavy snow conditions.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Thanks for the explanation, I got rid of all my older Mack manual's in 97, after buying my CL 713. My 88 RD didn't have that twin hose air cleaner, just a pre cleaner on top of the air cleaner can.
Cheer's, Neil.
No problem...I think the twin tube air filters went away when Mack went to front mount intercooling, this was around 1983? . This again made maintance access better as it removed the tip turbine and side mount cooler from the engine. The one thing I like about the old tip turbine maxidynes was it had a nice whine to it when it was waking up. 1st and 2nd gear were quick and you could hear it spool up half way in 1st,pause thry your shift...then wind out in 2nd..

Back then every engine make had its own song...not so much today
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 AM
Journeyman

Here is the youtube mod I made today...

I removed some metal off my steer axel to get just a bit more cut out of the wheels. I'm about 2mm from hitting the springs. 33" turning radius on a slippery tile floor and locked rear axel. Not bad!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d5dVUe4bh_E
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Journeyman

Made a little progress last week on the R model Cab before I left for Cali.

Still need allot of work but its taking shape.

If anyone knows who can make a mold or a 3d copy of this cab when im done I would be interested in talking to you/them in attempt to reproduce them.

thanks for looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0406.jpg (90.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0411.jpg (86.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0412.jpg (93.8 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Lmackattack; 05-09-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Looking MUCH better then when I saw it!!! its gonna be bad A$$
Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Journeyman

THANKS MAN. its taking shape pretty quickly..to bad your leaving Chi town. I bought 2 King haulers off ebay last week. Now I will have to find somhe more local members to meet up with....Just when I thought I had a good local trucker to hang with.......He moves!.. LOL!!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
THANKS MAN. its taking shape pretty quickly..to bad your leaving Chi town. I bought 2 King haulers off ebay last week. Now I will have to find somhe more local members to meet up with....Just when I thought I had a good local trucker to hang with.......He moves!.. LOL!!
Well you do drive thru Arizona sometime on your route I would assume. lol
Old 05-18-2013, 12:33 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Looking good L Mack. The new cab revisions are working well. Thanks to you and Craig, for the history lessons on the dual tube air cleaners. Learn something new everyday! By the way, Chicago is about 4 hours away from me, so you aren't exactly local, but I've been around there before. What side of the city are you in?
Old 05-18-2013, 01:39 AM
Journeyman

I live in the northwest burbs to be exact. About 25 miles north of down town. Don't be fooled tho... Plenty of traffic still here lol.. I live in a town called buffalo grove. If your ever near here let me know...
Old 05-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

These are one of my Favorite trucks ..Nice work with the cab so far ..I still see a few of these older macks around ..and some of them bragging that they completeley rotated the odometer..Pretty common for some of these trucks making a million miles ..What does the odometer show on the 1977 1-1
Old 05-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Journeyman

when I bought it back in 2005 it showed around 850,000, the speedo was shot , it was bouncing badly and hard to keep up with how fast I was going. so I replaced it with a newer one out of a wrecked truck, The old Macks were great trucks. we have plenty of old R models still in Chicago and see alot in other Big citys as well. Its an all buisness no frills kind of truck.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:36 AM
Journeyman

Let's get this build going again....I saw last week on shapeways that someone makes a RS700L hood , I have been slowly making my own cab and hood out of a king hauler cab but you can't beat the printed detail. So I bought a 3D cab,hoodother misc parts for my build.

I had used this trucks frame for my 6 wheeler build so new rails are on the way here to stretch a globe liner out. This build should move along now that the cab and hood are made....perfect timing as my Mack 6 wheeler is almost done

Old 01-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Wow. That 3D printed cab is awesome. I would love to build a truck with a 3D printed cab, but lately I can't even finished what I started, so I better stay focused on that!