RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Scale Buildings, Warehouses and Structures.

Scale Buildings, Warehouses and Structures. If you have buildings and other structures that you have built to use with your Rc's here is your place to share them.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:41 PM
Green Horn

Just_Build_It is on a distinguished road
Default Mini City

About a month ago I began clearing trails in my backyard. After clearing I start digging and digging and so on. I decided that the first project I would tackle is a long winding underground tunnel. My plans are big for this project and it will be on the outskirts of my crawl park, the end result will be smooth paved to scale roads with buildings an things a small town would normally have.
I will be adding pictures and video of the construction. I'm a one man Army so this little Rome won't be built overnight.
Since I won't be using asphalt, I'm going to paint the cement black and try to get the roads as level as possible to my ability. After all I want it to be driveable for non four-wheel drive cars an trucks.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Green Horn

Default Re: Mini City

This is the start of the first mega structure the tunnel.

Last edited by Just_Build_It; 08-19-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah Florida sand and roots
Old 08-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford View Post
Ah Florida sand and roots
It's easy to dig but not great for floors, hence the handsaw to cut the roots. The sand is the main reason why I'm putting down two inches of cement for the roads.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

I am so jealous! No roots!
What a great start to what looks like will be an amazing area! And welcome to the forum! Always happy to meet another park builder.
Looking forward to more updates for sure.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:47 PM
Green Horn

Haha still have to contend with pine needles dropping from the 4 pines in the area.
Thanks and I'm happy I was pointed to this site, lots of information and great builders here. I love playing in the dirt and building/designing my backyard rcorv park.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:29 AM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

Looks like a fun area for sure. Grats! I say when the pine needles drop you load them up in a truck and haul them to a dump site in the corner or into a bag via a conveyor.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:22 AM
Green Horn

I've just been mulching them with my mower and raking into large piles and I know that isn't a long-term plan when I start laying down cement and adding features. A best solution would be to contact a lumber yard and have them haul the pines out my my yard, which has been an option I've been considering for a long time now.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:44 PM
Green Horn

Today I started on a layout with a rake of where I want the roads. I'm definitely going to add truckstop along with a factory or building with loading docks. Those are the two first structures I'll be adding. I plan on adding a bridge or two in each of the two parts, which will be northside tunnel and southside tunnel. Northside will be more industrial while the Southside will be more residential. Finster made an excellent point too, I could try and make a mini mulcher with a conveyor down the road. I'll probably need a loader of some kind with a street sweeper...UGHH I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED YET!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:11 PM
Wannabe

JoseFL10-4 is on a distinguished road

Good to know somebody from Florida men you ARE NOT ALONE. I'm in Orlando any help let me know.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:46 PM
Green Horn

It seems that we are far and few in between here in Florida. It's good to know that there are some mini truckers around. I'm sure in a few months I will have an operational City and then I'll try getting a meet together for all the central Florida guys. Also , if there's any locals with RC road construction machines who want to level the substructure before I start "paving" my roads are welcomed to hit me up.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:02 AM

Jack3M is on a distinguished road

Roots will work thru the concrete even at 2". I suggest you put down pond liner first.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:47 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack3M View Post
Roots will work thru the concrete even at 2". I suggest you put down pond liner first.
The only issue with pond liner is that it will hold water. I I'll probably end up putting some gardening fabric down. I've also tossed the idea of using pond liner but with the torrential rain we see here, I'll end up having an underground spring or mosquito breeding sanctuary.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:53 AM
Green Horn

Last night I marked the roads and roughly measured the length which came out to 160'. In total I will need 320sqft of cement. It'll be a long going project but 3/4 of this hobby is about building and that's the fun part, well for me anyway.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

Watch the corners just like real semis they track wide
Old 08-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Looks pretty good!! And yes the building is just as fun if not more than!! For me it's discipline to not use human power or hand tools,, might take longer but if you ever get done you'll be making more or redoing something. Keep it going and posting progress pics!! Use to live in Clearwater and had relatives in new port Richie. But now we are mostly north. Parents just moved back to fl, up at the villages. Heading down there in a couple weeks, if I could have the dozer for a carry-on I surely would swing over and help build!!!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:47 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford View Post
Watch the corners just like real semis they track wide
Yes, once I laid the paint down I saw that all those bends an corners might be a problem if I don't fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Looks pretty good!! And yes the building is just as fun if not more than!! For me it's discipline to not use human power or hand tools,, might take longer but if you ever get done you'll be making more or redoing something. Keep it going and posting progress pics!! Use to live in Clearwater and had relatives in new port Richie. But now we are mostly north. Parents just moved back to fl, up at the villages. Heading down there in a couple weeks, if I could have the dozer for a carry-on I surely would swing over and help build!!!
Keywords if you ever get done! We all know that's wishful thinking when it comes to RC, projects and courses/RC parks are always changing. I grew up in NPR and left as soon as I graduated highschool. Of course half my family is still there and I'm back living nearby but still far enough away.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Green Horn

Hurricane Hermine really messed up the ground and caused minor erosion to the unfinished tunnel and really partied hard tossing sticks and branches everywhere and now I have to remove a fallen oak tree from my backyard.
I'm still tossing idea around for a highway . I can't really decide on what to use, other than a more permanent cement highway.
1: cement- great long lasting flat surface but permanent
2: foam gym mats- long lasting, interchangeable not as flat on dirt and costly.
3: laminate tiles- another long lasting, interchangeable, not as smooth on dirt, not interlocking.
4: tar paper: not great on dirt and not very durable in the Florida weather, cost effective, nice scale appearance when affixed to sub floor, easily changeable layout

Any new ideas or input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

I feel the same way about concrete. It would be nice but way too permanent for my liking. I like using shingles to get a road up and running quickly. Easy way to get a look at how things will fit and easy to change. Not the best though because they do move when walked on.
The ultimate material which I plan on using for final roads is what they call stone dust or crusher fines. It packs hard like concrete and is fairly cheap to purchase.

Hmmm, come to think of it. This stuff might be hard to come by and more expensive for you out in the sand land.

Glad to hear your ok and survived the storm.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Green Horn

That crushed stone would be nice. There are a few limestone quarries near me and widely used for roads(my road was limestone until this summer when it was paved). I've tossed the idea of using limestone dust but it's exactly that. The limestone works well until it rains and washes it out. In the summer it can also become very dry and messy.
I should've added that I need something that can be either swept or washed down, because alot of pine needles and leaves fall daily and requires slot of maintenance to keep my track swear of debris.

Thanks Mario, it was pretty bad and we came out unscathed besides that tree that fell. That storm caused alot of flooding on the coast and in low areas, thankfully the only flooding for me was in my Jeep , shotty besttop haha