RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Road train lighting

I have SS-Tronix on all my trailers so everything is fully interchangeable. It's a great system and I'm really happy with it. I agree it's quite pricey, but if you look at the hardware and all the R&D those guys have done I think it's still good value. It also means that I can activate additional servos on 2 of my trailers (coupler for the road train and ESC for my tipper), because the system allows for transmission of signals for 1 servo channel on the trailer. I bought the kits in stages as I got the truck and trailer kits so the $$$ was a little less painful but if you're looking to do all your fleet in one hit I would suggest contacting Scott and asking for a bulk deal.

The key advantage with SS-Tronix is that it uses a line-of-sight IR system between truck and trailer, so that when you uncouple the trailer the signal is no longer transmitted and the trailer is 'de-activated'. With the bluetooth kits, when you de-couple the trailer the receiver unit still picks up the signals from the truck so the brake lights, turn signals etc still operate on the trailer according to what the truck is doing, when the trailer is parked up and the truck is driving around elsewhere....looks really odd!
Old 12-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Green Horn

mavrick0 is on a distinguished road

I do agree with you about the sstronix being better for the most part but the small size of the OB1 is the reason I've used on my RC4wd lowboy and stretched bruder drop deck. Plus it would be hard to hide the IR receiver on those trailers.

As for the last part it's as simple as what I've done to my sstronix trailers. I've put a micro switch that the fifth wheel activates to allow power to be supplied to the board because with the sstronix when there's no signal it flips the clearance light to the on position. So do the same with the OB1 and you won't have to worry about the brake lights or signals working.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:54 PM

tamiya fan is on a distinguished road

I got a response from Julie today on pricing and as you say $$$$. Tried for a bulk discount, no good as they are small company. SS-Tronics has great stuff and company. But with the size of the fleet (ever growing) probably not. About the Bluetooth still working decoupled, that's just not right, not good.

I've decide for now to go with optocouplers, keep all things consistent. I ordered up the 2 kinds mentioned, 1 for taillights (higher ma) and 2 for the 2 turn signals (lower ma).

You wouldn't happen to have a circuit schematic would you? Quick drawing or something? IE: resister, etc.. For optocoupler (Not leds) just opto's

Thanks for all the advice!!!
Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Green Horn

mavrick0 is on a distinguished road

If you look up the part number for the optocoupler you ordered you'll be able to find a data sheet which will give you a schematic and pin layout.

As for the Bluetooth still functioning as I said it's as simple as putting a micro switch in the plate for the king pin. You need to do the same with the sstronix unless you want it sitting there with all it's clearance lights on with no tractor hooked up.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:48 PM

Thanks for all the info. from both of you. Learning more in and outs of the products.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya fan View Post
About the Bluetooth still working decoupled, that's just not right, not good
wire up a microswitch on the trailer like maverick0 suggested. I mounted a microswitch in the legs housing, so that power to the wireless stuff only turns on when the legs are retracted....but a switch mounted to the trailer striker plate will also work fine.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya fan View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a circuit schematic would you? Quick drawing or something? IE: resister, etc.. For optocoupler (Not leds) just opto's
PM me if you're still stuck, I can sketch something for you.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:04 PM

O.K. Ric, PM sent