RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tech help needed

It really is what makes this hobby fun is diggin into it!! Don't get discourged, this hobby is not like buying a new car and expecting everything to work perfectly right off the bat, especially with the Chinese stuff. I would be inclined to believe that you have a twenty dollar or thirty dollar ESC thats out.. Have you tried to contact the seller and explain your situation?
Old 12-31-2014, 02:35 AM
Snowman3725

That's exactly what it's doing Reg, I'm dumbfounded. I'm trying to work with the seller who lives in Korea, so there's a bit of a language barrier. They say it was properly tested and has no issues. I beg to differ. Hopefully they will take it back and fix it up. I noticed the hydros were pretty spongy and air bound. Could it have some type of safety switch that disables the pump or something?
Old 12-31-2014, 02:37 AM
Snowman3725

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
It really is what makes this hobby fun is diggin into it!! Don't get discourged, this hobby is not like buying a new car and expecting everything to work perfectly right off the bat, especially with the Chinese stuff. I would be inclined to believe that you have a twenty dollar or thirty dollar ESC thats out.. Have you tried to contact the seller and explain your situation?
I'd expect it to function after paying what I did for it! Almost 10 grand
Old 12-31-2014, 02:23 PM

Steve1503 is on a distinguished road

I had some pump esc problems with my bucket loader. If the power was disconnected, the esc may just need to be reprogrammed. See if you can find the esc setup online, and follow the instructions. After I found the instructions for my esc, it has worked great. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:13 PM

pyrosrock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman3725 View Post
Battery is fully charged right out of the box, I checked it on a balanced charger too. I see the turntable esc working fine, the red led changes when I push the lever. The other esc's blink a rapid led flash and are constantly beeping. Like I said this machine is brand new so I'd be hard pressed to believe something failed after 2 minutes of use, unless something was wired incorrectly
i haven't (yet) had experience with a excavator but, on my rock crawler when i switch it on the escs will always do nothing, to get it to work you have to hold the controller at dead zero for a second or two before the esc will prime (its a saftey feature) so the pump not starting up could be as simple as setting the pump to off and playing with the trim. if it is a brushed motor on the pump then checking the output voltage on the esc can rule out the motor being dead or the pump seized if there is no voltage. or if there is voltage then you will have to check the motor/pump. can you turn it by hand/can you hear it trying to turn? if there is no voltage then you will know it is the esc causing the misery.
If the esc/pump is brushless (3 wires) then testing is much harder unless you have a spare motor you can plug in for testing.

I have the A9 its a nice radio, go to the monitor window and check that the pump trim is set to dead centre (i would assume) so that the esc can arm

Last edited by pyrosrock; 12-31-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Snowman3725

Thanks Steve, it is a brushless motor. I checked all the trims on the radio and they were all set to neutral. It's kind of a funky design, there's a battle switch to turn the pump on, but when it worked it would also turn on apon pressing a stick on the controller, so the pump isn't running all the time. With the battle switch on, it would run all the time. I'd like to check the voltage coming out of the pump esc, but you mentioned it's difficult? I'm pretty handy with a voltmeter, what are the steps involved?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:33 PM
Green Horn

apfubar is on a distinguished road

Make sure you turn the radio on before the model... It may be that the failsafes are triggering, and the esc's are defaulting to the failsafe rather than zero point.

Cheers,
Ap
Old 12-31-2014, 07:39 PM

pyrosrock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman3725 View Post
Thanks Steve, it is a brushless motor. I checked all the trims on the radio and they were all set to neutral. It's kind of a funky design, there's a battle switch to turn the pump on, but when it worked it would also turn on apon pressing a stick on the controller, so the pump isn't running all the time. With the battle switch on, it would run all the time. I'd like to check the voltage coming out of the pump esc, but you mentioned it's difficult? I'm pretty handy with a voltmeter, what are the steps involved?
to be honest im not sure how to check it as with a brushless esc it is essentially outputing a 3 phase ac current i beleve, you might be able to tell on a multimeter but its above me, i think you might need a CRO