RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Journeyman

rockNmayhem is on a distinguished road
Talking New Work Shop For Me!!!

Well I've been wanting and needing more room for quite a while and just haven't taken the time to get serious about making that happen until last week when I got fed up with trying to work on two projects at once and decided there just wasn't enough room to build.

That being said I decided to start measuring out a section in the back of our storage room and found out it would more than double my current space and give me plenty of room to have all the tools I need and use regularly in one general location. So on to the design stages I went and got most everything figured out what I was planning to build and made a trip to the local Menards to pick up what I needed.

Anyways I spent all day yesterday with the girlfriend building my new workbenches and setting up the room and finished caping them off today and put a few tools in the room to see how it looked. I am very pleased with all the new found space I'm so anxious to get back to working in the new area. Although I have a little more to do before I can fully move in such as run the electrical still, put up the shelves and move my pegboard setup over from the other room. I also need to put a few shelves under parts of the work bench but it started getting late enough tonight I decided to call it a day.

Well here are some pics of my most recent rainy Saturday-Sunday weekend warrior project. All that hard work sure pays off in the end to have more space for all the projects going on.

Here are a few pics of what I had been working in for the past several years.

I had also just build this small work bench to put my saws and drill press on two weeks ago out of some leftover lumber from another project. This helped but didn't quite cut it.

And now here is what my new work room started out as all cleaned up and some extra storage stuff removed from the back of the room.

It then quickly progressed yesterday into this wonderful new work area.

Now adding some tools it's starting to fill up quickly.

Everything fits quite nicely with plenty of work room around each one. It also makes my lathe look extremely small all by itself on the side work bench but it will be nice to have more working room.

Well those are the pics I have for now of the room as it sits for the night. I have to go pick up some more shelving material for the walls so I can get it all up and then I'll move my pegboard over and start laying the rest of the electrical so I can start moving into my new work space.

I will have some more updates tomorrow evening but for now it's time to sit back and relax and pop a cold one and enjoy the outcome of my long weekend.

Tyler
Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Work Shop For Me!!!

That is one sweet workbench! There will be plenty of room for working in there! What will become of your old work area?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road

Tyler,

Makes me oh-so-envious of people who have the space... and some decent tools as well!

You using bare wood tabletops? You might try a tip I've used for years to strengthen & protect the wood: thinned epoxy. Its as cheap as urethane, but ~much~ stronger, and easier than fibreglassing 'em.

I know I mentioned it elsewhere, but here goes: get some two-part epoxy, like HobyPoxy, preferrably 45 minute set, and mix equal parts as directed. Then you add the secret ingredient - Klenk's Epoxy Thinner. With this you can take the thicker epoxy down to paint thickness (or even a bit thinner), and apply with a brush or roller to your tabletop. Let it dry for at least 24-48h, then sand and re-apply. First coat seals the wood, second coat protects it. You can even buy epoxy-paints for models, if you want to color the tabletop. Black Baron is one name I seem to remember...

Between the Hobypoxy and Klenks, its cheaper than any other finish, and any gouges can be easily touched up with a re-coat!

Just be careful to add the Klenks ~slowly~ to the mixed epoxy, as it doesn't take very much to thin the epoxy down. I can't give you estimates, as I've not mixed any in a number of years, and never needed to quote amounts. If the weather keeps warm, I may be soon, to seal my two 4' boat hulls, and the deck for my flatbed trailer.

WhiteWolf
Old 03-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigger View Post
That is one sweet workbench! There will be plenty of room for working in there! What will become of your old work area?
Thanks for the compliments on the benches. The old work area is where we will move the fridge and deep freeze in to and also use some of it to store the christmas trees and decorations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf McBride View Post
Tyler,

Makes me oh-so-envious of people who have the space... and some decent tools as well!

You using bare wood tabletops? You might try a tip I've used for years to strengthen & protect the wood: thinned epoxy. Its as cheap as urethane, but ~much~ stronger, and easier than fibreglassing 'em.

I know I mentioned it elsewhere, but here goes: get some two-part epoxy, like HobyPoxy, preferrably 45 minute set, and mix equal parts as directed. Then you add the secret ingredient - Klenk's Epoxy Thinner. With this you can take the thicker epoxy down to paint thickness (or even a bit thinner), and apply with a brush or roller to your tabletop. Let it dry for at least 24-48h, then sand and re-apply. First coat seals the wood, second coat protects it. You can even buy epoxy-paints for models, if you want to color the tabletop. Black Baron is one name I seem to remember...

Between the Hobypoxy and Klenks, its cheaper than any other finish, and any gouges can be easily touched up with a re-coat!

Just be careful to add the Klenks ~slowly~ to the mixed epoxy, as it doesn't take very much to thin the epoxy down. I can't give you estimates, as I've not mixed any in a number of years, and never needed to quote amounts. If the weather keeps warm, I may be soon, to seal my two 4' boat hulls, and the deck for my flatbed trailer.

WhiteWolf
Thanks for that bit of information as I've never heard of that. I am for right now leaving the benches raw material and possibly gonna cover them in laminate that I can get from a local hardware store as leftovers for dirt cheap. All I have to do is cut it to the size I need and I'll be good to go. They get all kinds of shapes and sizes and I can usually get a 4x8 sheet in about any color that I want for around $10. That is a really cheap and durable top that I can deal with. I'm thinking I may go with white so I can find my screws on it easier than the metal top that I have been on. Its a big toss up between white and black though.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 AM
Apprentice

Mama Sue is on a distinguished road

Looks amazing...I too envy those who have space...lol.. Let the work/fun begin

Susan
Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Area looks very promising! I can only wish that my shop looked that clean

Another tip for you- make sure that your work benches go completely down to the floor. Any little gap and you know where that dropped nut or bolt is going to go And it will always be the only 1 you have
Old 03-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sue View Post
Looks amazing...I too envy those who have space...lol.. Let the work/fun begin

Susan
Thank ya ma'am. I plan to get a few more projects finished in the next several weeks before the local show that I'm trying to get going and this should definitely help. I can already see the bench covered now though with the loader on one end the tractor in the middle and trying to finish my dump trailer as well.

So many projects so little time.

Tyler
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat View Post
Area looks very promising! I can only wish that my shop looked that clean

Another tip for you- make sure that your work benches go completely down to the floor. Any little gap and you know where that dropped nut or bolt is going to go And it will always be the only 1 you have
Lynn I absolutely know what you mean. Even the smallest gap that a flea wouldn't even think about going in that one crucial little screw or nut will fall in and never return. I have a small gap at the very end towards where the sump pump drains but I plan on making a facial board to take care of that before long.

Thanks again for the compliments and I hope to keep the bench kinda clean for atleast a little while.

Tyler
Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

The new set up looks sweet Tyler!
I'd love to have the old workshop space
What you have for tooling is exactly all I want and would need. Nice, very nice.

I came up with a way to minimize all them darn nuts and bolts hitting the floor. I have a roll of that stuff called Grip Stop. It's used in kitchen cupboards, that thin rubber weave looking stuff. I lay a chunk of that down on the bench and if I drop a screw it won't bounce and stays in the material. Works good.

Mario
Old 03-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice Tyler, now maybe you can come over and help me get lined out. LOL!!!

Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Journeyman

plow jockey is on a distinguished road

Great looking work shop. Real nice assortment of tools to get the job done. Congrats on the new set up.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
The new set up looks sweet Tyler!
I'd love to have the old workshop space
What you have for tooling is exactly all I want and would need. Nice, very nice.

I came up with a way to minimize all them darn nuts and bolts hitting the floor. I have a roll of that stuff called Grip Stop. It's used in kitchen cupboards, that thin rubber weave looking stuff. I lay a chunk of that down on the bench and if I drop a screw it won't bounce and stays in the material. Works good.

Mario
Thanks Mario. I have some of that material I may just try on the top of my work area. I do like having a completely smooth surface so I'll have to see how I like it.

I do have several other big tools like my large material bandsaw, chop saws and welder outside but these are my primary tools that I use and I think they should get me along just fine in the new area.

I'm already starting to fill it up fast and finding out more room still would be nice but as always the more the merrier, where does one stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plow jockey View Post
Great looking work shop. Real nice assortment of tools to get the job done. Congrats on the new set up.
Thanks for the compliments and the new workshop is coming together slowly but surely. I hope to be fully moved in by next weekend if I can that way I can start back on my builds.

Tyler
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays24 View Post
Very nice Tyler, now maybe you can come over and help me get lined out. LOL!!!

Big John
Thanks for the compliment John. There was a lot of work into this weekend project but if you're up for it we can tackle anything.

Tyler
Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Journeyman

Well started getting the benches buttoned up today and also got some shelving up. I still need to add my lower shelves under the work benches and make the new drawer for under the lathe but that will follow in the next few days. I started moving some stuff over this evening and am quickly finding out I have way more "junk" stashed everywhere than I know what to do with.

Anyways here are some pics of todays progress of getting the shelves up, the back boards around the bench and hanging the peg board.

It sure doesn't take long to start filling up the space with much when half of the area is tools.

I hope to have more updates throughout the week and hopefully have a project started again next week.

Tyler
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Green Horn

Location: Mount Evelyn/Lilydale Area, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3796
Kingcam2 is on a distinguished road

Hi Tyler

your new workshop is starting to look good, keep up the good work.

From Cameron.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Very nice Tyler. Someday I hope I'll have a nice little workshop like that too. Right now I've just got messy bench, and a table for my mini-mill to sit on, with some cheap plastic shelves for storing paints, parts, and a few models.

How do you like your Little Machine Shop lathe? I have the mini mill they sell, and should probably buy the lathe they offer to go with my mill!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

So your last work area & the new one are both in the basement? I would keep the tools you don't use very often in your old space, have your drill press in your new area, maybe the lathe too. Leave as much room in the new area for work space for 2 or 3 projects going at the same time, because you're always going to be waiting on a part or inspiration to finish a project or two.

Joe
Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcam2 View Post
Hi Tyler

your new workshop is starting to look good, keep up the good work.

From Cameron.
Thanks Cameron I plan to have it completed this week.

Tyler
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Very nice Tyler. Someday I hope I'll have a nice little workshop like that too. Right now I've just got messy bench, and a table for my mini-mill to sit on, with some cheap plastic shelves for storing paints, parts, and a few models.

How do you like your Little Machine Shop lathe? I have the mini mill they sell, and should probably buy the lathe they offer to go with my mill!
Hey Nathan thanks for the compliments. I absolutely love my lathe from them and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have the brushless hi torque setup and it is unstopable. I have taken off .075" before in one pass and it just keeps going. Pretty stout for its size.

I will eventually be getting their mill but I have to save a little more before I make that plunge quite yet. I'm also thinking about going cnc but am still unsure of the price yet if it's worth it at the moment.

Tyler
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
So your last work area & the new one are both in the basement? I would keep the tools you don't use very often in your old space, have your drill press in your new area, maybe the lathe too. Leave as much room in the new area for work space for 2 or 3 projects going at the same time, because you're always going to be waiting on a part or inspiration to finish a project or two.
Hey Joe they are both in the basement just around the corner from each other but all the stuff I moved out of the back where my shop is now is going back in the little cubby hole where my other benches were so I don't have enough room for everything back there as well.

It's quite a bummer as I would love to have all that extra work top space but I have to sacrifice some space to keep storage.

I'm also thinking of making an adition to the end of my main work bench that will create a 90* closest to the microwave area as that will be gone and I can pick up about another 6' of work surface if I feel the need for it down the road.

Decisions, decisions.

Tyler