RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Green Horn

REV73 is on a distinguished road
Default some help with a futaba 4yf 2.4 ghz radio

Hey everyone, Santa came a bit late to me, but it was worth the wait. He brought me the futaba 4yf 2.4ghz 4 channel radio. This is my first time using a 4 channel radio and I am going to be putting it in my king hauler which I got last year. my question is this, the manual is geared towards someone using it as an airplane radio. so which channels are for the steering servo, shifting servo, and the esc??? and is there any way to change the throttle stick so that is returns to neutral as opposed to staying in whatever position it is left at?? I foresee losing control of the truck because for 25 years I have just let go of the throttle to decrease speed. any suggestions would be good.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:23 PM

fuzzy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: some help with a futaba 4yf 2.4 ghz radio

i have an atronics set the same. mine is set up right stick chanal 1 and 2 iuse for drive ch 1 steering ch 2 left stick ch 3 for trans ( you can keep it what ever gear hands free) ch 4 is open. i write in book over airplane guide what my functions are happy truking
Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

To change the left stick so it self centers you have to first see if the radio manufacturer has the ability to do this ands if they do you have to send the radio to them to do this. Some radio you can't change. I have Airtronic radio and one I sent back and the other I specified that I wanted it set up that way when I bought it. Ed
Old 12-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Green Horn

so in other words I better learn to drive a whole new way to keep this truck from winding up looking like a demo derby car??
Old 12-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

You should be able to change the left stick to self-center by getting parts from Futaba. I have done this to many of the Futaba 4 channel radios. Hardest part is getting the parts from Futaba. They always seem to be out of stock for some reason
Old 12-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: some help with a futaba 4yf 2.4 ghz radio

Maybe this will help?

http://www.artistichobbies.com/prodd...?prod=HSP78901

~ Jeff
Old 12-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Green Horn

carp is on a distinguished road

its pretty easy once you get used to it having a non-spring throttle, i would remove the ratchet though to give you more precise control, for controls,

left stick up and down = channel 3 which is your throttle
left stick left right = channel 4 which is rudder - this could be gear shift
right stick up and down = channel 2 elevator - this could be your gear shift
right stick left and right = channel 1 aileron this is your left/right steering

let us know how you get on
Old 12-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I also converted my Futaba radio to a self-centering spring loaded left stick. I just gave Futaba's service department a call and asked them what I needed to pull off the conversion. The guy was nice enough to give me all the part numbers and it was something like 99 cents worth of parts. So quite affordable. The conversion was pretty easy too. I had a reply on the forum to someone asking the same question. I gave a complete run down on the conversion. The thread is here somewhere.

Anyway, it's completely up to you to decide how you want to set the radio up, and what channels you want to do what. If you're not sure, plug a couple servos into the receiver, and see what sticks handle what channels. Pick the sticks that feel most comfortable to you. Some higher end radios actually let you assign a specific stick, toggle, or knob to a specific channel. That's a nice feature to have!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Found the thread -

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...entering+stick

Check it!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 PM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Or google "convert mode 1 to mode 2 or mode 2 to mode 1" for what ever radio you have, as different brands like Futaba and Spectrum are different in the way they are set up...

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Green Horn

thanks for all the advice everyone, it's so cool knowing that basically any question that you have, there is someone who can offer good sound advice on how to solve your dilemma, I will let everyone know how the whole thing goes once I am done installing the radio gear, for now I think i will give it a try the way the radio came. But I appreciate the help nonetheless !! cheers, and have a happy new year guys!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Green Horn

Espee, I just checked out the photos of your conversion and it looks pretty straight forward, I have taken apart many 2 channel futaba radios so there is no fear for me there...I may just try the conversion now that I think about it!! thanks again!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Your welcome, REV73. It is pretty straight forward. I'm sure you'll have no problems with the conversion, and it's a whole lot better when you can use both sticks, without worrying to center them up yourself, at neutral.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Green Horn

Well, I decided to open up the radio and give it a whirl. since I wasn't using the right sitck for any up and down motion, I figured I would just swap out the spring return from that side over to the left stick and now things are perfect. Thanks again for helping me out with this one everyone!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 PM

Gregg is on a distinguished road

Karen at the AAF carries the parts for the Futaba radios there
http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/
This is a link to the web site. It is a very easy conversion so no need to order from Futaba or Austrialia.