RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 01-06-2015, 04:41 PM

chris deacon is on a distinguished road
Default transmitter for excavator?

Hiya guys. I am looking at buying my 1st excavator (magom hrc) and was wondering what transmitters do you guys use? I already own a DX6i for my planes and a DX4s for my 1/8th buggies so I am partial to spektrum but unsure what to get for the excavator?
Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: transmitter for excavator?

Hi, I have good experience with the Fly Sky FS-TH9X, 9 channels, which is a low priced radio. It's supplied with the XL4200 excavator as standard. A small drawback is that servo movement can not be put higher than 120%, but that's no real issue in most cases. It seams surprisingly good compared to its price at around 100USD. A bit tricky menus and not 100% clear instruction manual compared to more expensive radios/brands, but with some search on the net one will find an answerer to most issues.. I've also got the Airtronics / Sanwa SD-10G which is 3-4 times more expensive, midrange. 10 channels. It got 150% servo travel as max. It's got a bit better menu and instructions book, but it's less value for money compared to the Flysky. I used it for my truck. Just bought another Flysky to use for my excavator. It's possible to use one radio for several models, but I just bought a separate radio for the excavator, since it was that low priced, and seams to work OK. (For a 10K airplane I would possible go for a more expencive radio than the Flysky, but for construction equipment not too much can go wrong it radio should break down during operation.. )

Last edited by Rimrock; 01-07-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

If you have and like Spectrum stay with them, that's what most of the guys around here use on they're excavators. I have one for a truck build I'm currently working on and I'm getting anxious to use it. As you know they are easy to program and mix and when it comes to an excavator that's got to be a plus, why spend thousands on a piece of equipment to just turn around and spend a dime on a crap radio? Talk to fhhhstix or pigeonfarmboy on here they are both extremely knowlegable about not only Spectrum radios but also setting them up on excavators as they both have them.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:33 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Spektrum DX9, sliders on the back of the radio to control the tracks and plenty of 3position switches for additional functions. As you know, Spektrum is probably the easiest tx on the market to program. And with model match you can control 2 - 3 - 4 models with one tx, switching between models without turning the others off.

Joe
Old 01-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I really like my DX8 but wish it had the sliders like on the DX9 for the tracks. Someone told me recently that the newest(or if you upgrade the firmware on the older ones) Spektrum radios will no longer work with Orange RX receivers. Anyone else heard of this? I have been using Orange RX receivers with my older DX8 with good success and they are easily 1/5 the price of OEM. I have thought about upgrading to the DX9 but it would be very costly if I had to upgrade all the aftermarket receivers too!

Thanks
Old 01-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Green Horn

apfubar is on a distinguished road

if you are running a 6i, and not the older dx6(v1 - not the 2014 dx6), the Orange rx'a should work fine.

Make sure you only need 9 channels, if you need more, you will need to go to an dx18(g2)...

I am running orange rx's on my trucks Using either a dx9 and a dx18.

Cheers,
Ap
Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ap. So you think if a person bought a brand new DX9 now(2015 model year) it would work with the Orange RX's or would a person need to find one that had been sitting at a hobby shop for a while?

Thanks for the input. Sorry this thread has gone a bit sideways...
Old 01-07-2015, 05:37 PM

Yeah I use orange receivers in my planes with my dx6i.. Ideally I would like to be able to change the sticks to different channels whilst using the transmitter so I could use them for the tracks then flick a switch and then they would control the boom?
Old 01-08-2015, 02:33 PM
Green Horn

Ok... So to change the functions of the sticks needs some mixes/flight modes...

Have a look at this video...
http://youtu.be/09fe49ply7o
Whilst it is on a 10t it will still work on a dx9 or 18.

Cheers,
Ap
P.s. It won't matter which dx9 you buy... They should all be compatible, I am running the latest version of airwave sw on mine, and it's aok...
Old 01-14-2015, 12:18 AM

Ok the DX9 looks good. Is it easy to set it up to so there is no rachet and both sticks self centre?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Journeyman

Kaf343 is an unknown quantity at this point

Give some thought to where you want to end up as far as channel usage. I ended up with a DX18 as I needed 12 channels for operational functions as well as lights and mixes. If your going to add sound down the road you'll need two to three channels just for that, if you want lights you'll need a few for them. And you need six just to operate the hoe. Just my two cents, but spend the money up front on the radio and have the expansion you may need. Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:03 AM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

DX10t is my personal favorite. Unfortunately it's no longer available in the US. It's also a tray radio so some guys don't like it. The DX18 is the way to go if you think you'll be too limited with 9 channels. Can't go wrong with the DX9 though if that's enough channels for your intended needs.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:43 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

I have an Airtronics 10-G

Rob
Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road

fysky 9x? thats what im running but going to up grade soon not a bad radio but, it has its quorks and sillyness, i'm also thinking dx9 dx18 and so are to much $
Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 PM

Well the excavator i have finally decided to buy comes with a 9 channel transmitter anyway so i will have time to save up for a dx9 or higher lol.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Green Horn

For all of you in the Euro zone...

I just read that the new spektrum radios have to comply with some euro ruling on the radio emissions... Which is why the new ones may not work with the older dsm2 or orange rx's.

Apparently the older radios need to be sent in for this change if users want it...

Thought I should pass this one on.

Cheers,
Ap
Old 04-21-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfubar View Post
For all of you in the Euro zone...

I just read that the new spektrum radios have to comply with some euro ruling on the radio emissions... Which is why the new ones may not work with the older dsm2 or orange rx's.

Apparently the older radios need to be sent in for this change if users want it...

Thought I should pass this one on.

Cheers,
Ap
Nooooo i just bought a DX9 black.. If only i read your post dude as i am now fubarred as none of my kit works with it.. Going to cost me about £400 to replace all of my RXs now...
Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris deacon View Post
Nooooo i just bought a DX9 black.. If only i read your post dude as i am now fubarred as none of my kit works with it.. Going to cost me about £400 to replace all of my RXs now...
Not necessarily, as you can change from DSM2 & DSMX with all or most Spektrum radios. Try it 1st & see what happens... if they won't bind on DSM2, then you'll know why.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM9900

Joe
Old 04-22-2015, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Not necessarily, as you can change from DSM2 & DSMX with all or most Spektrum radios. Try it 1st & see what happens... if they won't bind on DSM2, then you'll know why.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM9900
Already tried mate... even had paperwork with it saying not dsm2 compatible.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 AM

well i ended up buying a LemonRX and the work great... so no got the 4200xl running on my dx9..
woohoo