RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 12-06-2013, 02:49 PM

bartles is on a distinguished road
Default Wire Rope For Dragline/Crane Build

Would appreciate some input for what I should use for cable/wire rope for a dragline build and where to source the material. My drums will be 33mm in diameter. I want to be sure I have machined a reasonable cable groove in the drum (lagging). The fleeting angle from the fairlead of the machine I am building my miniature around, a Koehring 305, will require a grooved drum, at least on the drag drum, the hoist would probably be ok.

I am not too interested in an authentic scale appearance.

Thanks in advance,

bartles
Old 12-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wire Rope For Dragline/Crane Build

Hi bartles-here is a link for wire rope. You didn't say the size you need but I think your drum size of 33mm(less than 1.5") is probably to small for wire rope. In my experience on small drums the wire rope is too stiff and when you get slack in the rope the wire unwinds from the drum and becomes a tangled mess. If you can find a 7x19or20 that could work but I really have not had good results with it. Good Luck
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-wire-rope/=pozvzi
Someone else on here may know of a more flexible wire. If you can figure the dia. that you need then maybe go a bit smaller that might help.

Last edited by modelman; 12-06-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Thanks, sort of guessed that ............I begin a search for some type of cord/string. I appreciate you response.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I used 7x19 3/64'' type 304 rope for my boom hoist on the 9W. As you can see here it wraps OK but there's constant tension on it. There is also about 20+ feet wrapped up too so I can lower my boom. You can get this type rope as small .038'' and .024''

On your machine there would be only one row of rope as I'm sure you know. There is a rule of thumb on what the minimum diameter a wire rope will wrap easily. Keeping the rope wrapped tight comes with experience in the operator. The 1:1 machines are almost as hard to keep wrapped just they have more weight to help.

Here's my hoist & drag drum setup for 1/8'' rope drag and 1/16'' hoist with lagging cut.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Green Horn

Dieselchopper is on a distinguished road

I have been using the 1/32 wire rope coated from McMaster on my winch truck. It does have some issues with nesting when free. My drum is 16 mm. I feel it would be better with a larger drum. I am also thinking of a pressure plate the same as some small quad winches have.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback...good info to digest. Thank you.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

It might be a little small for your scale, but I like braided fishing line. It's stiffer than string and doesn't stretch much but it still bends easy and you can get it in dark colors. I've been using Stren, I think.

It's been a few years since I bought it but I think this is the stuff. Biggest is 80 lb test and .014" diameter.

http://stren.com/sonic-braid/

Looking forward to seeing your build on here. I've got a Bucyrus Erie 25B in progress, though progress has come to a halt since I moved and lost my garage to work in. Hoping to remedy that next summer.

Last edited by Jared; 12-06-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Wannabe

mazdaparts will become famous soon enoughmazdaparts will become famous soon enough

you could check into the jewelry making department of your local michaels or hobby lobby. They have some wire rope that is pretty small and strong.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I also picked up some stuff from Walmart that was meant for hanging pictures. I used it for safety straps on my 850 KW logger.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:58 AM

Thanks, will go looking there for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaparts View Post
you could check into the jewelry making department of your local michaels or hobby lobby. They have some wire rope that is pretty small and strong.