RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Euro Style Trucks and Trailers

Euro Style Trucks and Trailers A place for the Euro style trucks single and twin axle trucks and trailers...

Old 02-28-2021, 11:47 PM

EasyEd is on a distinguished road
Default New to rc truck building - planned first builds

Hey All,

New to all this rc building. Never built anything like this before and have no supplies but do want to give it whirl. My father was a truck driver - started in dumps (tippers) - I still remember he and my mother when I was very small flying to detroit and picking it up at the factory and driving it home to Montana. Likely around 1959 or 60. As a little kid I remember it was red and was a ford. Couple decades later I rode with him around montana in his IH Transtar II 4070. By then he owned a couple. Too bad nobody makes a rc Transtar. Anyway couple years ago I was in Europe and 98+ percent of the trucks I saw there were cabovers and I confess a preference for them. I spent a couple hours in the DAF museum in Eindhoven. I highly recommend it as it was so much more than just trucks. DAF made an incredible number of cars and pickups. When we can travel again (Covid restrictions gone) I plan to go to Scania and Sisu truck museums as part of a baltic trip and eventually MAN and maybe more if they have museums. I do understand the lure of the of the open road as I love to drive and see country and the sound and feel of my cummins diesel pickup suits me - even though I drive my wrangler jeep a lot more. Anyway enough about me.

Right now I'm thinking the following:

Tamiya actros tankpool 24 race truck - $170 canadian
Tamiya flatdeck trailer - $300 canadian
Tamiya european mfc-03 - $300 canadian
As for the tractor unit I'm undecided...
Arocs narrow 3363 6x4 or MAN tgx 26.54 xlx both Tamiya - both are $470 canadian

Now I suspect there may be better choices in tractor units like a 6x4 scania of some sort but these are available in Canada right now for not crazy high price.

For example the tamiya arocs tipper truck with box actuator mfc-03 and truck are $1375 canadian right now a solid $100 more than all I've listed above. Much as I would love to get it I think I'm getting more value out of what I've listed above.

I think I want to eventually build either the arocs or man into 6x6 and tipper (dump) trailer it or maybe an expedition truck. Who knows. Lots of options I'm not concerned about now. But I do want to make a good choice between the two now. Opinions wanted! I'll maybe later get a actros 18.51 to pull the race truck around after converting the arocs or man.

Anyway I'm thinking build the race truck first and learn then bigger truck. I can actually use the bigger truck an trailer to haul the race truck around.

Now I know I need more stuff to build these and I do have a LHS to get smaller stuff from. I'm just trying to get the "big" dollar stuff bought now as I do see escalating prices. Don't all of you? Is there a list of basic supplies somewhere?

Anyway thank you for reading through this longish post and I am very interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions.

-Ed-
Old 03-04-2021, 09:53 PM

tamiya fan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New to rc truck building - planned first builds

The trucks are pretty much the same so go with what you like. With the race truck set aside.

To get the tractor working, you will need:
1)Truck kit
2)MFC ("brains of it" and ESC)
3)Bearings
4)4 channel radio
5)3 servo's (steering, shift, and trailer support legs)
6)Battery (no lipo w/MFC)
7)Battery charger
8)Paint of course

Trailer is a nice pick. Extra options (Hop-Ups) would be:
1)Trailer light kit
2)support leg kit
3)Bearings

This will give you a "full function" truck and really fun to operate.

Do all upgrades while you build it. Or you have to take it apart to install later. (Not Fun)

Many after market items available. Wheels, tires, accessories, etc... You can add extra lights with different options there.
Sky is the limit there.

Hope this helps, sorry so late for response.