RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Hotwheels is on a distinguished road
Default Radio DX7 vs DX8 or suggestions

Hello, I am new here to this site so if I posted in wrong are please let me know. I am in the process of revamping my King Hauler. I purchased it used from Craigslist and it was adult owned included trailer and electronics. It did come with just a 2 channel futaba transmitter but has a 4 channel rx. Anyway I purchased a Futaba CAP7 fm radio yesterday which I am returning to local Hobby Town tomorrow. Got home started reading and realized it is 72mhz and I remembered 72mhz is for air only. Other options they have in stock are the DX7 which includes receiver and servos or the DX8 with receiver. Not concerned with servos I am familiar with modifying J plug so they fit Spectrum. I will be adding a sound unit as soon as figure out radio. Also open to other suggestions other than the Tamiya MFC. My hauler already has the now discontinued tractor and trailer light kits installed and working. Also have Novak Rooster speed control in truck. Taking my time with rebuild and want to do it right the first time.
Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Radio DX7 vs DX8 or suggestions

Most servos should fit the Receiver. Now for the radio if you have the extra $ i would go with the DX8 vs the DX7, there are far more options and features that the DX8 outweighs the 7 in my opinion. The DX8 has a few 3 pos switches, and a 25 model memory so you can grow your fleet (and that will happen) with one radio! I started on the DX5e and that worked great but i needed more features fast and went with the DX8 and im glad i did i love it!! You can still run 4,6,8 channel receivers as long as they are air not ground. Most my stuff runs 6channel recievers and they work well with the MFU's.

Now if the truck came with servos already in them then you should be able to just plug them in. if that little tab is in the way take a razor and cut the tab off.

Hope this helps! Trust me in the long run you will be happier with the 8. Or you may be like me and 6 months later wishing you did and have to spend more money!!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Appreciate the reply, I am leaning toward the DX8, more channels are better it seems when it comes to these riggs and adding functions. It comes with the AR8000 receiver for $439.00 and is in stock Want to work out and fine tune electronics then tear it down for customization.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

DX8
more chs
more 3pos switches
more mixes

Joe
Old 01-03-2013, 05:48 PM

Pulled the trigger on the DX8 got it at Hobby Town here in Charleston for $429.00 today which included the AR8000 rx with the latest DSMX technology also included telementry module. I had read about some earlier problems with the DM2 receiver. Anyway thanks for giving this old R/C builder some help in my decision. A lot of new technology out here today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.jpg (10.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Good choice!!! I think your gonna be pleased with it. It will take some getting used to but there are plenty of us here with one that can help if you run into questions on it or cant figure something out. Also if you have a sd card reader on your computer i would suggest going to spektrums website and register your radio and "join" their "forum" (not much of a forum at all) and that way you can see if there are any updates. You just download the update file to the card then put card in radio and turn it on, if it needed it it will automatically load and update it. BUT since you just bought it im pretty sure it has the most updated software on it already.

Congrats to the new radio!!! There is a lot you can do with it!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM

I will do so keep my lap top open on the bench great reference tool took me about a half hour to find info on futaba wire config to ar8000. Couldn't find it in the manual. But if I read correct after trimming j plug the config is black top red middle white bottom looking at receiver with the label side up. This truck came with the good ol futaba S148 standard servos, in steering, tranmission and 5th wheel. Should I change these out to a servo with more torque? or at least the steering? What do you guys run for servo's?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM

I have the Tamiya original light kit which all works but with the toggles on cab. Any of this usable or does it all need to come out and rewire in order to wire in to receiver so tx can operate these functions? If I go with the newer Tamiya MFUC unit I was wondering if the lighting portion is the same just need to switch boards? Also found tamiya had a previous version sound unit now discontinued that worked with my lighting system. Don't think that's what I want though. Want to get rid of toggles and configure all lighting to receiver. Looking at the Servanauts and a couple other European units even found one with a smoke generator which I would love to do and funnel in to the stacks. Lot's of ideas. I work slow but I read and study a lot and certainly appreciate advice from others with more knowledge. May just go with the Tamiya current MFCU. Need to download some manuals and study.
Thanks,
Hotwheels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg header_1.jpg (82.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 AM
BANNED

If you keep it as a tractor, your stock steering servo will be fine. A stronger servo for steering (Hitec645) if it were to be a dump trk or 6wd.

The old lighting system can be salvaged using this Click it, use one for each switch.

The old sound system sounds virtually the same as the MFU. The MFU has alot less wiring, alot simpler wiring, but not the same wiring as old system. You can use a Servonaut sound & smoker, as it's a seperate entity from your lighting system.

Joe
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Can you give me a list of what is needed from Servanaut if I go that route? With Servanaut would I still be able to use the Novak Rooster esc that came with this King Hauler or do I need to purchase esc from Servanaut? I know with the newer Tamiya MFCU it has it's own esc if I read correct. I got what I feel was a good deal on what I have so far.
King Hauler with box trailer all together no missing parts, Tamiya 1st gen lighting kit Novak Rooster Reversible esc., electric landing gear on trailer came installed, plus an old Futaba Magnum JR 75mhz. and Futaba 4 channel receiver, can use those in one of my other 10th scale cars. I have removed the old Futaba 4 channel receiver, I purchased all the above off Craigslist for $500.00. I have charged my DX8 for 12 hrs per manual, I have been able to bind my Tx & Rx So with the purchase of the DX8 for $429.00 I have less than $1000.00 in this project so far. Time to decide on direction for the MFCU and spend more money. Looking forward to finishing radio and electronics setup then move on to the fun stuff "Customizing".
Thanks
Lou
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM

A lot to figure out but I enjoy a challenge and in no hurry. I know what I want the functions to do just have to figure out the how to part. Is the 3 position rudder able to operate servo for transmission? If so can you shift on the fly by toggling between the three positions on rudder with what I have so far? I know some wiring will change when I add MFCU. If anyone knows of a setup link for the DX8 and Tamiya Riggs would be most appreciated. I saw some good info on DX6i and Tamiya MFCU posted on this site. As I have stated before was very active in competitive R/C buggy racing, pan car racing and built a couple Team Associated 10th scale nitro cars. They were much simpler with two channel radios. I am sure this DX8 has the capabilities to perform all the functions. I just have to bring myself up to speed.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 AM

ok I figured out the left stick controls the rudder function moved left and right to control the servo rod to transmission?
So now I am trying to figure out what is function of three position switch marked rudder is for? These flightl radios require a bit of knowledge.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road

Do you have anything plugged into the receiver port that's labeled for the rudder? If not then the switch won't do anything. You could use it for whatever you'd like depending on how you set the programming up in the radio.

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM

I plugged shift servo in to rudder on receiver? throttle left and right controlling shifter. Any idea what the rudder triple switch is to perform? I am trying to get up to speed reading the manuals that came with dx8.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:26 PM

I think I am figuring this out now, rudder control alway's throttle stick left and right. So does that mean toggle 0 set for shifting, then toggle 1 can be set up to perform another function and the same with number 2. Flip switch then right and left on throttle?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 PM
BANNED

Aux1 is left 3pos switch above left gimbal, Aux2 is the 3pos above right gimbal, Aux3 is the rotary knob, Gear is 2pos on the left top, Mix is 2pos on right top, 3pos in front of Gear switch is Flight Mode. left gimbal is (u/d-l/r) throttle & rudder, right gimbal is elevon & airelon.. at the front of manual will show a picture of the radio & locations of all the chs listed.

I believe it's necessary to run a Servonaut esc with the Servonaut sound. http://www.servonaut.de/shop/

Joe
Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 PM

You guys have been a big help as well as reading the manual. I have a better understanding of the DX8 and the 8 channels. Only thing I am stumbling on right know is the throttle neutral/centering. When I go thru the process of rebinding after I have things set up I get a transmitter "warning throttle high" on the screen and alarm in transmitter warns also. I have the throttle set as dead center as I can when I rebind? Has a Novak Rooster reversible speed control installed. Unfortunately don't have book to esc. Checked Novaks site not able to find it there. Will search online, from what I have read it is one touch setup. If what I have read so far the one touch also will lock out reverse. That part I have figured out. After initial binding with throttle all the way down receiver stops flashing Tx indicates bind all good. Then I shut of power to truck then to transmitter. Next plug bind cable back in to receiver set throttle to center turn on power to truck, next hold trainer button down while turning receiver on that's when the warning and alarm go off. Any idea what I may be missing.
Thanks,
Lou
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

You need to go into the model set up list and go to the warnings setting and set them all to inhibit. To do this hold down both buttons on the left side of the display panel and turn the power on. Next click down on the roller one time then scroll down 9 beeps to the warnings and click down on the roller. Now just set all warnings to inhibit. Now you can go back to the main screen.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 PM

Thought I would try photobucket, hope this is right.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 PM

TraceNoOne is on a distinguished road

Which Tamiya MFU works best with a DX7?