RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2015, 02:46 AM

TylerDSAudi is on a distinguished road
Default Progress Thread - 8750 Marion Dragline

Finally had some time handy and was cleaning the shed out to get to the MDF I was needing to start my dragline project. I want to build an all custom dragline, so it looks and acts like the real thing.( before anyone ever comments that this isn't as detailed and such, I'm building this as a fun project and one I can make last years, not one that as detailed as some as I have seen amazing! But I will be trying to put in as much detail as I can without making it a model more then less a working toy ;P . Im going to need some help along the way, so any comments or idea's are welcomed! Please and thank you!

This is a progress thread as I will update it as I go, so keep checking back on progress and give me your input. I work in a coal mine and we have 4 Draglines, I am basing this build of of our Marion 8750 " Lady Of the Lake" second biggest dragline we have and one of my favourite draglines to be around!

Start:

Starting with MDF, I have a simple plan for the house, to just build a box with the curves I need to build the main part of what will be the house.

I picked up some Aluminium to start building the boom. Im going to be using an angle bar for the outside of the boom and thin tubing to give it structure and bracing it all together. Have a plan in my head, just have to cut it all out and lay it out. Now I'm not a welder, but i have done a fair amount of fooling around. Playing around on the Tig the other day on scraps I found this is going to be quite the challenge to get this all tac together without melting any of it. So before I decide to Tig it all together, i might look into other ways to put it all together.