RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:03 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peterbilt 6x6 Medium Hauler

Just had to see what the painted body looks like on the chassis with the wheels/tires installed....

Old 06-02-2017, 12:51 AM
Green Horn

On June 18th some Texas folks are getting together with some RC construction equipment and trucks to play around. I'm stoked about running my Peterbilt with some other rigs so that was enough motivation to finally get off my butt and work on the next step of the truck: mounting the transfer case.

I decided on an Axial trans as a t-case. It's going to hang down pretty darn low, but that's okay. This thing isn't a rock crawler. And if the low slung nature of the t-case causes too many hang-ups, I can always build a new bracket with the t-case oriented in a different direction. But with it the way it is, the front driveshaft easily clears the transmission so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

First I took some folder material and started mocking up the overall length of material needed and where I'd want to bend it (approximately, of course).

Then I transferred it to some 1/8" THK aluminum flat stock and began bending it. I just used my vice so the bends did not come out too cleanly. That's okay. It'll work for now and doesn't look awful.

Was able to re-use the stock rear driveshaft to join the trans to the t-case.

Using the stock main driveshaft for the front now. This may change soon, though.

The t-case sits a bit above the framerails so I had to trim away some of the sleeper cab floor.

Now it'll sit nice and flush. I just need a rear driveshaft to join the t-case and the middle axle.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Green Horn

Couple more pics....

Showing off the new Lesu aluminum grill.

Front driveshaft and t-case skid just visible below.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:38 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Lookin' good! Almost too bad to get it dirty

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Wannabe

Mustang46555 is on a distinguished road

Very Nice! Clean and uncluttered, beautiful job
Old 06-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Peterbilt 6x6 Medium Hauler

Awesome job! I like the gold leaf
Old 06-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Green Horn

Thanks, everyone!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Apprentice

jack van is on a distinguished road

hi there your build looks realy great i was hopeing you might have some pics of how you set up your locking diff cables i am haveing problems makeing mine work
Old 06-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack van View Post
hi there your build looks realy great i was hopeing you might have some pics of how you set up your locking diff cables i am haveing problems makeing mine work
Hi and thanks very much! No locking diffs on this truck, however. I just used a VERY heavy oil in the diffs to nearly lock them, but allow them to slip.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Green Horn

Okay, folks, I need some suggestions! All throughout this build I've had the plan to paint the chassis the same blue as I used on the truck. I've toured a Kenworth and Peterbilt plant and on some chassis they would paint the entire chassis/suspension the color of the body. The entire rolling chassis would be assembled and then rolled through the paint booth so EVERYTHING would get painted. I love that look and it gives the truck a very "high end" appearance.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to do it (and soon!), but want some thoughts on it before I commit. Most trucks will have a plain gloss black chassis/suspension, but I want this truck to have a "well cared for" look to it and think a painted chassis would suit it, but I'd like to hear y'all's thoughts.

Here's a few trucks that I found inspirational. They look like work trucks that are taken very good care of, but they're not all out "show trucks". This is the look I've envisioned, for the most part....

Now take note of this one... The hubs were also painted the same color as the chassis/body. I'd like thoughts on this, as well. I'm leaning toward leaving mine black, though. Suggestions?

For what it's worth, the fuel tanks will remain chrome, but the straps will be painted blue. And here's a pic of the truck making a cameo appearance at the drift track in Houston last night:

In the background....
Old 10-30-2019, 09:47 PM

NRS91 is on a distinguished road

Any updates on this truck?
Im building a 6x6 King Hauler Day Cab and I was wondering if you ever did get any more steering lock out of those TLT-1 axles?
Old 01-12-2021, 12:16 AM
Green Horn

This project is back after a way-loo-long hiatus. Currently working on paint. Decided it's getting a Cat.

Chassis is getting fresh paint, as well.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:24 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

LOL you should be all primed for a fresh start....
Old 01-13-2021, 12:51 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
LOL you should be all primed for a fresh start....
Ha! I see what you did there!

So for the most part the paint work is now.....finally.....complete. The chassis got some gloss clear, but not as much as the body did. That just seemed to make more sense to me that the frame isn't quite as pretty. Anyway, here's some pics...

An overhead shot of the Axial t-case.

I need to get the 5th wheel's orientation corrected. It's leaning the wrong way again!

Interior floors going back in. You can see where I hacked it to clear for the raised transmission.....which was required to make room for the front driveshaft.

I'll need to build a center console to cover this up when I finish out the interior. I don't plan on having side windows so the interior will need to be fully detailed to look realistic.

Looking like a truck again. The front needs to come down about 1/4", but I've got a few options on how to address that.

Here you can see how far the front tires stick out from the fenders. I'd prefer a narrower track, but I'm okay with this.

But to keep the front and rear track widths proportional I think I'm going to make some 1 or 2 mm spacers for the rear. It'll be subtle, but it'll also provide some space between the tires, which I think will be a good thing, appearance-wise.

Oh, one other thing I did tonight. The hub bore on the Lesu wheels is super tight and with just paint on the hubs, they would get scratched up when installing them. I couldn't have that so I bored the wheels' center bore ever so slightly. This angle makes it look worse than it is. It actually looks good and nicely centered in person. At least now the wheels can be installed/removed without scratching up the hubs.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:32 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Glad to see you're back at it. That's looking really sharp!

It's a shame the trans eats that much interior room, but it should be able to handle a lot more terrain now

For the front track width on that TLT, why not just get some narrower wheel hexes?
Old 01-13-2021, 11:34 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Glad to see you're back at it. That's looking really sharp!

It's a shame the trans eats that much interior room, but it should be able to handle a lot more terrain now

For the front track width on that TLT, why not just get some narrower wheel hexes?
Thanks! Yeah, it's a bummer about the interior, but I'll fab up some interior bits to make it all look nice. Just gonna take more time.

I think I'm down to a 4mm thick hex already. And to fit that I had to "machine" the depth of the hex on the front wheels. I'm not sure how much farther in I could go, but thanks to my RC drifting, I do have some crazy thin hexes that I may be able to try. Hmm.....
Old 01-14-2021, 01:50 AM
Green Horn

Good news. Turns out the dash fits over the transmission without modification. I'll still need to build a center console over it, but that's okay. I knew I'd have to do that.

Then as I was sifting through bins of parts I came across some stock HiLift springs. Wow, these are easy to bend! So I did a little eyeball de-arching and test fit them under the truck.

It's still got a smidge of negative rake, but it's hardly noticeable. I may leave it like this, but I'll have to paint those springs, of course.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:28 AM
Green Horn

So the truck is now the closest it's ever been to finally being a runner! So OF COURSE I end up doing this:

Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishement. I decided to change two rather important things about the truck. First, I decided to change the drivetrain. A Lesu 3 speed trans will be here tomorrow and it's already set up for AWD. Second, I decided the stock frame rails made the truck look a little too stubby for my liking. So I picked up some Grand Hauler rails.

Here's the truck with the new (unpainted) rails installed. Ideally I may prefer it about one inch shorter overall, but I'm going to try it like this first. Maybe one day I'll shorten the wheelbase, but I think the longer setup fits the style of truck I'm wanting to emulate.

The Lesu gearbox has an even taller gearset than the stock Tamiya. That sucks! So to compensate I picked up a HH 80t motor and it's feeding a 3:1 gear reduction unit. I hope this new drivetrain holds up okay. I've heard bad things about some of the Lesu stuff.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Looking good! Will be interesting to hear your experience with the new setup.

Construction site on Facebook:

Pictures on Instagram:
Old 01-26-2021, 06:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
This project is back after a way-loo-long hiatus. Currently working on paint. Decided it's getting a Cat.

Chassis is getting fresh paint, as well.
Changing the subject some, What's the yellow Wrangler?