RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 01-04-2018, 12:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Got some goodies today, fittings for hydraulics. I think I’m going to be using 6mm hose for the lift cylinders. Haven’t done the math or estimating but have fittings now.

And bucket dump arms

Working on bucket next. It is posing to be way more complex than I originally thought. Details and workholding for machineing are a constant concern while trying to figure out how to make the parts the most user friendly way possible. But I think the bucket is a big eye magnet so trying to accomplish that . And starting to get things around for the upcoming cabin fever event !!!!!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:41 PM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

RW, I really hate to miss this year 'cause was looking forward to seeing this loader. It's really a great piece of work.

Ken
Old 01-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ken, you were missed . But I understand. Good show this year , great turn out. Talked to the great folks at tormach and they were happy to see the parts made with their machines. I also decided to splurge for the full enclosure. I’ve started to cut a lot of steel and steel chips on the floor are not my favorite so I went for the enclosure. Looks like a full day of building it! Well a big LEGO/erector set .

Some of the bucket parts ,
Old 01-19-2018, 06:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

These are the supports on back of bucket. The other pic is the bottom back skid of bucket. And the y shaped cut out and ones towards end are stress relief cuts. I found out the steel cupped a little from machineing material on other side. They will be covered by internal sheet of actual bucket.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:29 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

Good to see you making parts again I thought cabin fever fever took you out to like me and a couple others . Great to meet you and your stuff ! Mike
Old 01-20-2018, 08:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Still not 100% mike, but I think it’s on the down side .

Pic of bottom of bucket cutting edge part and skid part.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Great to see produktion going......Looking forward to get loaded.......from that machine.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:40 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I thought you mentioned last fall that were going to have this loader done by Cabin Fever?!

Judging by your hand on the skid plates, is the bucket width gonna be something close 12 inches?

Joe
Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
I thought you mentioned last fall that were going to have this loader done by Cabin Fever?!

Judging by your hand on the skid plates, is the bucket width gonna be something close 12 inches?
Yes bucket is going to be over 13" wide, 13.75? Forget exact but somewhere around that. And agree with that statement about going to be done by cabin fever,,,, sometimes I think I would have been a lot further along doing it the old way, on paper sketches and in my head. . I did not realize how much I would have to learn and put to practical use. To tell ya the truth, the machineing part is pretty simple and efficient. I still stand there and watch because I'm still amazed how the machine moves. the majority of time is spent in front of the computer. I'm getting fairly efficient in the design and the cam programming. But the think ahead about size/shape of raw material. How much the cost is and how to hold and work the parts. That is what takes a lot of time and research. like right now I'm working on bucket sides. Raw stock is 6" by 3'. Need to cut 6"x5" plates. Hold them in vise to drill fixture mounting holes. Then make a fixture with those holes. Machine top and sides then flip over to machine bottom side. I'm doing it this way because I can get .25" thick stock and part is .25" thick. And for these parts any discrepancy in raw material thickness is negligible , maybe a couple thousands. And I'm a firm believer in running simulations in computer. Always have to check and recheck that cutters and motions of machine are doing what they should be. And now I've been cutting steel I've had to figure out correct feeds and speeds. All in all I've broken about a dozen tools. Mostly 1/8" stuff and mostly under 15-20$. Still cheaper than a local semester of machineing classes. And university of YouTube is a quicker learning practical application. Every time I think about attending a school by the next day I've figured it out. I really don't like learning but I like making this stuff more so that wins out .
Old 01-21-2018, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Oh I feel your pain RW, I'm seeing myself getting into that rut of hating change b/c then I'd have to learn how to use that new item.

But you're doing a great job! The fit & finish on the parts looks fantastic!

I see extra parts in the background of some of your pics, are you making more than one 993?

Joe
Old 01-22-2018, 12:55 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup. The sick sob is building two machines.
Double your pleasure double his fun
Old 01-27-2018, 04:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

well after cabin fever and talking with the nice folks at tormach I got a delivery ��

Packaged well and all parts accounted for.

Had to do some re-wire of controller , directions well and it’s nice how they have every wire labeled. No problems ��

Added daylight led bulbs, really added good lighting to workpieces. I also wired a switch that I can access easily that allows me to use mist or flood coolant. I could use an interface that adds the proper m codes but the switch was easier for me. Coolant is still turned on and off with program. Now all the potential steel splinters and aluminum chips that the cat likes to eat will be contained. So back to cutting parts, working on teeth for the bucket and I will post some progress pics when I get some more done.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:26 PM
BANNED

So does this purchase add another dog or cat to the family or add-ons to exsiting machines don't count?

Yeah those LED bulbs are awesome! I've changed every light in my house to them

Joe
Old 01-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

She just saw it for first time, and no animal add-ons were discussed ��. I just don’t think she thought of that,,,,yet,,, but this should only equate to say,,, a hampster. . Lol!!!

I think I have all lights in house switched over to led bulbs. Definitely more efficient but my big thing was they run so much cooler than regular filiment bulbs. Had our house burn down when I was younger from a light left on that overheated. And it’s amazing the color differences you can get from lights now.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Your shop will be so much cleaner now.
Yea my little dogs love to use the chips around my mills and saws for their own personal litter box.
Scrap yard gets nice surprises in the chip barrels
I have to watch one of my dogs because she likes to hide food that is not regulation size for a Pomeranian. The tell tale giveaway is powdered aluminum dust on her muzzle.
I don't want to think what could happen if she ate some chips.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

I know Reg got a bruchure , I sent it to him ! Congratulations on your new purchase I hope you didn’t get the Tormach people sick with Cabin fever fever

Last edited by Mikem; 01-27-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I still have to make the long skinny teeth that go between these.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:35 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Nice spade nose!
Cheers, Neil.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:11 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Really nice work Cooper-this machine looks big enough to make your haul truck look like a mini-truck. Keep up the great work!!!
Old 02-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The bucket is just held together with a couple magnets. (For pictures). Guess it’s up to my welding skills,,,, I’m shooting for a new bucket and I hope my welding doesn’t turn it into a well used looking bucket with holes and dents .