RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

All right guys, another weekend, another update. Nothing to big going on this time. Work continues again, on the tank saddles (still?!?). Finishing up some minor little things. I machined up some parts for securing the tank straps, but I haven't started on the straps themselves just yet. They might be the hardest part to make. I've been putting them off! But, I do have some fuel tanks now!

A special thanks to a friend from work, who made these tanks possible. I doubt he'll ever read this thread, but still, I couldn't of done without his help. They'll get a fuel filler cap, and a good polish a bit later!

Just playing around with some ideas for some stacks too. Stepping back to take a peak at the overall truck. The poor Peterbilt, in a state of neglect behind it. It looks like a glider.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Green Horn

wolfws6 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

I love that old truck with modern flair look, by far my favorite build.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
All right guys, another weekend, another update. Nothing to big going on this time. Work continues again, on the tank saddles (still?!?). Finishing up some minor little things. I machined up some parts for securing the tank straps, but I haven't started on the straps themselves just yet. They might be the hardest part to make. I've been putting them off! But, I do have some fuel tanks now!

A special thanks to a friend from work, who made these tanks possible. I doubt he'll ever read this thread, but still, I couldn't of done without his help. They'll get a fuel filler cap, and a good polish a bit later!

Just playing around with some ideas for some stacks too. Stepping back to take a peak at the overall truck. The poor Peterbilt, in a state of neglect behind it. It looks like a glider.
Lol Nathan. How true, the Peterbuilt used to be front and center... Now it just lays there in the what looks like Rc scrap pile!
Life is good when you can treat a Wedico like that! Lol. Jk

My personal opinion, the pipes you have mocked up are a little on the large size eh? It is your personal choice but if you want to stick to the 50's theme, I don't think they had big huge pipes back then...lol

Thanks for posting Nathan, always like seeing your work

Mario
Old 03-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfws6 View Post
I love that old truck with modern flair look, by far my favorite build.
Thanks for commenting wolws6! I appreciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
Lol Nathan. How true, the Peterbuilt used to be front and center... Now it just lays there in the what looks like Rc scrap pile!
Life is good when you can treat a Wedico like that! Lol. Jk

My personal opinion, the pipes you have mocked up are a little on the large size eh? It is your personal choice but if you want to stick to the 50's theme, I don't think they had big huge pipes back then...lol

Thanks for posting Nathan, always like seeing your work

Mario
Thanks Mario! Ha ha, yes, the Pete does look like it's sitting in an RC scrap pile. All it needs is a few weeds and tall grass growing around it.

So you're saying my pipes are to big? My intention while building this Kenworth was to go for a bit of a resto-rod look. It will have stacks. These might be a little large, but I'm going to try them anyway. In 1/16 scale, they measure out to be 8". I'll have to see if an equally large visor will pull the stacks together. I may downsize on the pipes a little.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

Nice update! It is certainly coming along. I hope to get some work done on my truck this weekend, too!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 PM

dirthalr is on a distinguished road

As always looking good Nathan. Love the tanks and saddles. Can't wait to see the straps. I like the bigger chimneys myself. That picture of the blue needlenose with flames looks good with the big chimneys. Pipes that are 7" or 8" in scale look sweet. But thats my 2 cents worth. Big pipes, drop visor, your front bumper, ...........nailed it!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Very nice work Nathan your tanks and saddles look great as does the rest of your work. Ed
Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigger View Post
Nice update! It is certainly coming along. I hope to get some work done on my truck this weekend, too!
Thanks Bigrigger! How'd you fair this weekend with your truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthalr View Post
As always looking good Nathan. Love the tanks and saddles. Can't wait to see the straps. I like the bigger chimneys myself. That picture of the blue needlenose with flames looks good with the big chimneys. Pipes that are 7" or 8" in scale look sweet. But thats my 2 cents worth. Big pipes, drop visor, your front bumper, ...........nailed it!
Thanks Jimmy. Seems you and I have the same tastes in trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Very nice work Nathan your tanks and saddles look great as does the rest of your work. Ed
Thank you Ed! I appreciate it.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I spent a little more time working on the Kenworth today. I decided it was time to start working on the tank straps. This was a bit of trial and error, bending these buggers up, but I managed to figure out the best techinique to make them. I was able to finish one of them, but the others will have to wait. I destroyed my 5/64" end mill, when one of the straps slipped in my vise, so now I have to order a new one. I'm pretty happy with the way the first one turned out. I hope the luck will continue with the rest!

Pictures....

Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

The straps look perfect Nate, great job.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

That looks nice! At least you have a working mill boohooboohoo....
Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Nathan work work is amazing, I wish I had have of your patience or skills.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Wow those straps are spot on. Truly amazing craftsmanship! Can't wait to see whats up your sleeve next.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

Nate them tanks brackets and straps are true art work you nailed it!

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
The straps look perfect Nate, great job.

Travis
Thanks Travis. Good to have your approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
That looks nice! At least you have a working mill boohooboohoo....
Thanks Reg. I feel bad enough knowing I can't finish my straps tonight, after breaking my end mill, but to have something go wrong with the mill, well that would be worse! Hang in there! Hopefully it's an easy fix for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Nathan work work is amazing, I wish I had have of your patience or skills.
Thank you Craig. I was beginning to loose some patience making these straps too, but I just kept at it. No turning back now! I'm guessing I had 10 or 12 failures, to get 4 good straps, so it wasn't easy. I'd have to count the messed up ones laying on the floor to know for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthalr View Post
Wow those straps are spot on. Truly amazing craftsmanship! Can't wait to see whats up your sleeve next.
Hey thanks Jimmy! There is still a lot more work to do yet, so I guess there will be more to come!

I finished bending and soldering the other 3 straps tonight. I'm glad this step of the build is done now. It took long enough! I still get bogged down with the details!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Green Horn

cabrover is on a distinguished road

Amazing work Nathan,
Your skills are above and beyond!!Keep up the good work!!

Tim
Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thank you for the kinds words Tim!

Small update, before I get ready for work this afternoon. I managed to find a brand new 5/64" end mill, still in a McMaster-Carr shipping box, while I was cleaning up the workbench. The ones I ordered, to replace the one I broke, are already on the way and should be here today, but since I found a brand new one in my stash, I was able to finish the tank straps this morning! I guess I really didn't need to order two replacements. Funny thing is I knew I had more then one. I just couldn't find the extra.

Anyway, as if you guys hadn't seen enough tank strap photos, here are a few more.

The Kenworth is looking great with the tanks both mounted properly! I like these low angle shots!

One more light show....test.

It's been a good day in the shop! Enjoy.

Last edited by Espeefan; 03-05-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Looking good!!!! Love the lights and tank straps!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

awesome detail Nate them tank mounts are so perfect!

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM

Breath taking. Looks awesome! I'm thinkin I should come down by you and work on my truck, and learn from a master. Lol.