RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:31 AM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD dump truck...RCP's style

Hi Reg Have you tried Micro Fasteners 2-56 nuts they have small pattern nuts HNBS0256 1/8 across the flats or standard 3/16 across the flats
Old 03-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem View Post
Hi Reg Have you tried Micro Fasteners 2-56 nuts they have small pattern nuts HNBS0256 1/8 across the flats or standard 3/16 across the flats
Awesome! Thanks. I will check that out because I was planning to order from them again soon. It's funny how certain suppliers carry different things. I found a local place that has really good prices on the M3 screws I use ($4-5 per 100) but when I asked about stuff smaller than 4-40 with a hex head they didn't have a supplier for them. Micro Fasteners has been really nice to deal with and they have a good selection but their prices are a bit steep. The last order I made from them was around $70US for a bunch of metric stuff. I made the same order through Raider Hansen in Victoria and it was less than $30CAD. Live and learn to shop around but if someone has it but others don't and you need it, you have to buy it good deal or not!lol

Thanks again for the info!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

Awesome work and details!
Basic question, how do you tap for the 2-56 screws? I tried to tap threads in aluminum but broke the tap. I was going by hand, and almost wonder if using the lathe would be better.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

For the small stuff I always drill the holes a little larger than the recommended size and tap by hand...carefully. For tapping 3mm holes, I use my cordless drill but don't tighten the chuck up super tight. Again using caution! I also use silicone spay or alcohol for lubricant.

I broke off my favorite 3mm tap recently in a customers box. The tap was getting dull and I was trying to thread a hole near a weld. The alum gets soft and galls easy where its been welded and I was trying to tap it dry(lube messes up powder coat). Anyway it broke off, I said a few bad words, calmed down and tried to grab the end that was sticking out. I got it to move but it broke off flush causing me to say more bad words. I tried heating the area with the TIG torch thinking it would swell the aluminum and make the hole loose. That didn't work but I noticed that the tap was melting so it gave me an idea. I TIG welded a nail to the broken tap and wound it right out! What a relief!

Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM

Ken Orme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadieman View Post
Awesome work and details!
Basic question, how do you tap for the 2-56 screws? I tried to tap threads in aluminum but broke the tap. I was going by hand, and almost wonder if using the lathe would be better.
When I tap threads I use a cutting fluid called "tap magic" It is available from USC Industrial Supply Co. I comes in a 4OZ can for $4.62. Their part # is 06492920.

You could use a lathe to tap holes but [B]TURN THE CHUCK BY HAND> DO NOT TURN THE LATHE ON[B]

It has been a long time since I broke a tap using their cutting fluid.

Ken