RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4 Hour Bruder Dozer

RCP57-nice work on the conversion. How did you possibly weld those 4-40 nuts? Did you have a jig? Did you consider using button head screws on the pads? Guess it really doesn"t matter though but it might look better. Nice work anyhow.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
RCP57-nice work on the conversion. How did you possibly weld those 4-40 nuts? Did you have a jig? Did you consider using button head screws on the pads? Guess it really doesn"t matter though but it might look better. Nice work anyhow.
Thanks! Yes I made a jig a couple years back when I did my 955K. It is a pain in the AZZ welding the nuts to the chain but with a little care it goes OK. I didn't ruin any nuts so it can't be that bad. The worst part is the smoke off of the chain as the oil burns out. Man that's toxic! I agree that the socket heads look out of place and I ordered up something else but this is all I had enough of in my drawers.

Today's update!!!! After playing "dump box builder" I shut down the business side of the shop to finish up the undercarriage on my Lil Dozer. I made up a pair of sliders for the chain to run in where the rollers should be. It seems to work pretty well and I know other people us a similar setup so I think it will be fine. Once the new servos arrive I will beef up their mount and the underside will be complete! The amount of time I have in this has added up quickly. If I had given it more thought before I started I would have probably started building my D8K instead but this will be cheaper and that was the main reason for doing it.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked to be half way toward having a dozer!

http://youtu.be/bD40EylUQ-Q

Old 10-30-2014, 04:23 AM

Trackerman is on a distinguished road

Reg,
Are you using gas or gas less tig welder? Nice build really enjoying the innovation in the build.

Cheers

Paul
Old 10-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Paul! I'm using straight Argon. I didn't know you could TIG weld without gas? I've never heard of that but I'm not saying it's impossible. I think it would be possible to MIG weld the nuts on too but my MIG welder is a bit large and I only have .035 wire in it. I would end up with the chain welded into a blob by the time I was finished!haha

Might get some work done on the blade later but we'll see. Customer projects need attention first!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Green Horn

Trucker_Jo is on a distinguished road

Woah your cheap tracks are awesome! Did I read somewhere that those pads are the rails that are for carpeting of some sort? I may have to steal that idea of welding nuts to the chain although I only can MIG and might end up with a solid chain with welded links by the time i'm done
Old 11-01-2014, 01:49 AM

Trackerman is on a distinguished road

Reg,
I am not sure about the gassless myself. Any pictures of your jig for holding the track and nuts please.

Cheers

Paul
Old 11-01-2014, 10:15 PM

K-Man is on a distinguished road

Great work on the dozer. I you decide to skip the servos (and if you have the space) this geared motor could be worth a shot. They're about the price of a regular 360 rotation servos (minus the speed controller, of course) and much more powerful and longer lasting. The site has plenty of gear that could be of use for RC conversion projects, and free shipping to boot.