RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Zimms Customs

Default Re: The Daycab

I haven't had any problems with the Squadron. But then again I use it to fill minor scratches and other imperfections. I mainly use my fiberstrand for the big stuff and then the glazing putty.

Truck is looking good, let me know how you make out with the Squadron. (Maybe I should reword that, I can see the comments now).
Old 02-27-2011, 09:21 AM

Roadmasters is on a distinguished road

Dont forget to make a backer plate for that

Next East Coast Minitruckers Meet:

Arioch
Old 02-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

Very nice job filling in that strip that is the way to do it.. If you treat these body like a car you will get great results for sure..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

You are doing fine just take your time don't rush it and you will be happy with the results.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 02-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

RAIDERS is on a distinguished road

Looking good trucker keep up the good work...
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, much appreciated! I filled in the gaps with the styrene, and I'm letting them dry. As for the putty, the owner of my LHS says Squadron does shrink and crack, and that especially on a truck like this, it's not a good way to go. Since then I filled in the cracks with tiny bits of styrene, and I'm wondering if I should go for another autobody glaze/putty. Winchester Auto recently moved in to my area (went to the grand opening and won bungy cords, a sun screen, and a folding chair ) and they have a big can of Evercoat along with some other fillers. But for $40, and I'm not going to use it that much... So, they had smaller tubes, but no Evercoat ones. I think I saw like 3M and some other brands, can't remember them. So, are any other ones good? Does it matter as long as it's not Squadron?

Thanks for all the tips, suggestions, and pointers guys, it really helps!
More to come!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Zimms Customs

I use the 3M glazing putty I and it works well. I usually wet sand before I paint. This helps minimize scratches.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Any putty that is a "One part" putty, meaning you don't have to mix it with a catalyst WILL crack and shrink. The evercoat for $40 will keep forever as long as the cap is on tight, so it will not go to waste, eventually you will find a use for it.

Basically it boils down to this, if you want it done right, and so that in a year or more it still looks the same, then spend the $40 and get the good stuff, if you don't care what it looks like in a short time then go with the cheap stuff.

But keep in mind it don't matter who makes it, if it is a one part putty it WILL crack and shrink.

~Mike~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 03-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

yea like mike said I had a can of evercoat sitin over 20 years , funny I finally used it up on my 9370 dump build last year . find a auto paint supply , I don't remember it costing that much then my memory could be asleep yet

Steve

Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Journeyman

Okay... I think I have it. So, my two courses of action for a non-cracking seal are, blow the $40 on the Evercoat, or use the small tube of cheaper filler. No 1-part fillers, 2-part.

Another question... what are the two parts?
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Zimms Customs

One of them is the filler itself and the 2nd part is the hardener. Just have to make sure you mix it correctly. I have about 10 years of auto body experience and it seems to be a science to mixing this stuff.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

is this a help

little tube is the cream hardener the big tube is the filler/glaze . now I only use 1 little tube / quart of filler / glaze . to much hardener in the mix will make it brittle .

Old 03-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Zimms Customs

Also, you mix in too much hardener and then it sets up really quick as well as being brittle.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimms Customs View Post
One of them is the filler itself and the 2nd part is the hardener. Just have to make sure you mix it correctly. I have about 10 years of auto body experience and it seems to be a science to mixing this stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimms Customs View Post
Also, you mix in too much hardener and then it sets up really quick as well as being brittle.

YA NO CRAP.... A science is an understatement, I think I wasted more at first than I used trying to get it right.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Journeyman

So, filled in the big gaps, and I'm debating on what to do for filler...

BEFORE

AFTER

Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Journeyman

So, I think I'll go with the 3M (or similar) glazing putty, and a hardener. Does any hardener work with any putty, or do I have to buy a set? Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

i ise the easy red glazing putty you can get at walmart 3m stuff in the automotive section no mixing involved to it and it is easy to sand too
Old 03-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Journeyman

Does it last? I've heard from everyone that one-part putties crack and shrink.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm tryin Boss!

Stylin n profilin has a spectacular aura aboutStylin n profilin has a spectacular aura aboutStylin n profilin has a spectacular aura about

It dont last...Know from experience...plus takes hours to fully dry to sand it...The two part is the way to go....Paul set me straight on that...

One Bus Stop Short Of The Short Bus...
Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road

Trucker, you can get evercoat on the bay for bout 30 bucks and you will have enough for practice and future builds.