RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 PM

Evan is on a distinguished road
Default How much should I spend...?

Well, I've been on and off this forum for about a month or two trying to get into the RC Bruder Construction stuff. I know about conversions, but the thing is money wise. I'm only in my teens so its a bit harder on the money. I really love this construction stuff! I actually manage my money very well, currently right now I have $380 on me. I can't spend hundreds of dollars on these construction conversions. I am looking at, an average of $200 a conversion, is that possible?

Please, I really want help of what I should do!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How much should I spend...?

Im in my teens also with the same budget. Good Luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Admin RIP FGD 2-12-59/12-19-11

FreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the rough

$200 doesn't give you much to work with. You might be able to pull off a skid steer. But just the servos & electronics will cost you more than that.
Think maybe you need up your spending amount.
Good luck!
FGD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Being young without a good job is tough. Back when I was a kid growing up, I was always short on money too. I know how it goes. I felt like I had to scratch for every last dollar, and I couldn't work a job because being around on the family farm was my job. Any money I made went for college, but now that college is over with, I can afford most things without to much worry.

My advice is don't try to do much at once. Start with something simple, like a bulldozer. I think an excavator would put you over budget really quick! Even a skid steer would be expensive.

For a dozer, get yourself some nice gearmotors and one servo. Because the dozer is bigger you would not need a lot of specialized miniature components, like you would a skid steer. You could run a dozer with a 3 channel radio, saving you costs there as well.

I know it's not a construction machine, but maybe a diecast tractor conversion would be worth looking into. It would be a fun model to have, but wouldn't have to be to complex. I don't know what it would cost to build one, but it might be closest to your budget.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 AM

footprint is on a distinguished road

I can understand where your coming from having worked for a few years and am now back at college being a student is tough, but a wise old brickie once said to me "The more you learn the more you earn", ive since added "and the more you yearn".
That said sometimes being constrained in ways creates ingenuity and solutions that you otherwise would have never contemplated. A start of $200 isnt alot to work with but we all start somewhere im not sure what your like for tools but as in investment i would start with some good drawing and measuring equipment (calipers, compass, scribes ect).
This is a mistake I made and if i had my time again I would invest in that and learn how to make as much as i can, then move onto a lathe, CNC/mill. Spend your time planning and drawings while you save.
I used to do PC repairs and had a sign similar to this one
Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 AM

Alright! I will see what I can do, I'll probably wait and save.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

If you do decide to try something in the bulldozer family, try a set of these tank motor and drives, they are not that expensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Stee...item5ae34458a8

Then maybe add an old Tonka T-9 dozer, would get you a start and keep you in the hobby.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TONKA-Mighty...item1e68494e68

More fun to learn and try then to sit back and read topics, just my opinion.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Add a couple hundred to your current stash and you could get this, of coarse radio gear is extra.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Douyuusya-Do...item415e6afefd
Old 11-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

You can do the Bruder dozer for 300.00 I used the tamiya gear box that small haul used it works great and pushes very well for a grading dozer all you need extra is the right ESC and 2 good micro servos with lots of tork ..

As for the Bruder skid steers I built the tracked cat and this will cost you over 400 there are a number of spendy servos in that one if you do it right it is adds up fast..

Running the RDS8000 in both of these units I am able to run both with out turning them off just but switching back and forth..

You can do it I would save up to 400 to get started and you can get a great remote and have a well built unit right off the bat that you wont have to rebuild down the road do to cutting corners just to get it running..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

Old 11-10-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
You can do the Bruder dozer for 300.00 I used the tamiya gear box that small haul used it works great and pushes very well for a grading dozer all you need extra is the right ESC and 2 good micro servos with lots of tork ..

As for the Bruder skid steers I built the tracked cat and this will cost you over 400 there are a number of spendy servos in that one if you do it right it is adds up fast..

Running the RDS8000 in both of these units I am able to run both with out turning them off just but switching back and forth..

You can do it I would save up to 400 to get started and you can get a great remote and have a well built unit right off the bat that you wont have to rebuild down the road do to cutting corners just to get it running..

Ok thanks! That sounds much better than what it did a few months ago. I'm willing to do the $300 for the dozer (What dozer was it from Bruder? The D5?)
And since I am a noob. Can you recommend the ESC and 2 micro servos?