RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: D8R +463 in 1/5,6

D8R-Your dozer is looking better with each picture! I think a lot of people are "drooling" over this model. Great job! Will be good to see a video and more pictures!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM

benoj is on a distinguished road

This D8 is amazing in so many ways, mainly its size and all the fuctioning details. i cant wait to see a video of it completely functional and running.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your support, makes it worth the long evenings spent modelling.

Had cylinders left at crom shop to do surface, a long story short, they did nothing in 4 weeks so I will warn people to do buisness with them
As said, promised more videos, here´s a try this evening.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6SYBzMx92Y
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGRNGGWw6Wo
Sorry for shaking video a little bit, will try tripod next when doing stuffs with other hand.

New videos to come next weekend, will try to learn how to get faster uploads to

Dan
Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Dan, Thank's for sharing! It's looking outstanding!
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Apprentice

Some more pics when assembled. The machine will stay this way during summer but in september it will be dismantled again for final manufactoring of some missing parts. Still hope to get it running next summer

the small D2 is a ACMOC model in 1/24 scale, just for comparison

Here 2 pics from show last weekend. My friend came with his 988B loader, nice to see those 2 models together for first time. Guess there will be some dirt moved when mine is operational. He has also a Volvo A35 coming. The 988 has been running for 10 years now, only modification done is change of engine to a 4 cycle Honda 31cc. This model has basicly same driveline as mine, a big oump and hydraulic motor for movement and smaller pump for working functions.

Dan
Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

WOW WOW WOW WOW DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM

cbazq271 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
WOW WOW WOW WOW DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, What he said
Old 06-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

Very cool
Old 06-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

D8R-dozer looks fantastic!! And it's HUGE!!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:25 AM

CavemanBud is on a distinguished road

Totaly awesome. what an inspiration for us all
Old 06-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Apprentice

The model builder season is over but can´t stop adding more parts to the model. Guess it´s all those nice comments that makes me going, thanks all of you! Had mid summer holiday this weekend with and extra day off, and what better way than spending that producing all windows for the model.
I used a Polycarbonate sheet 1mm thick, manufactor is BAYER but there will be other local brands. I plan to use the H-shaped rubber gasket sold by Knupfershop.de , Will use the smaller one since my thickness of window and steel in cab is 1mm, the width of gasket is 2,5mm (could have been a little more).

here´s a step by step

I have all parts for cab in computer (CAD) so I change those parts so be windows instead, adding room for a H-shaped rubber gasket. I printeded the part and used it as template for the window. If not having CAD, make a drawing from cutted opening with a pencil with same width as H-rubber need.

Next I cutted the plastic sheet to size using my shearer, sanding edges smoth and shaping the corners.

Checking size in cab openings, adjusting corners....

and finaly a window with perfect fit. Don´t have the gasket yet so can´t show window mounted.

thanks for looking!
Dan
Old 06-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Dan. Your attention to detail is amazing and the Cat is a work of art. I used the same gasket to install the glass in a 1/16" train. And the rest of you guys, keep the comments rolling. That way we'll encourage Dan to finish the D8 and we can see it run and move some dirt.
Rob
Old 06-28-2011, 02:28 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

It'd be nifty to see some pics & read some info of your shearer machine... I've never seen anything like it before. I'd guess that'd be a scratchbuilder's ultimate tool for alot of sheet metal work?

What other specialty tools have you aquired over the yrs to aid in your model engineering perfection Dan?

Joe
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Apprentice

Here´s a little shop tour, but sorry to say , it´s not cleaned/orginazied the last months due to hectic building. I´m not spending that much time on cleaning but belives in with each tool in right place works goes faster!

The shearer are actualy the last bought big tool in the shop. have used it for some time now and think it will be a very useful tool for coming models.
This one was ordered from a german company, in us you have same type of machine available from different shops like(http://www.tennsmith.com/notchers.html).
Working with 1mm steel is no problem, cutting straight or in corners is no problem. I have a bigger shearer, electric operated that can cut 2mm plates up to 1m wide. Normaly I use this to cut down steel plates to more useful sizes or cutting parts to right sizes direct. This machine is to big to have at home, it´s a 1000kg machine.

Next machine is a drill and then a band saw. Both those machines are a little to small now but have problem with space in shop (inside in basement in my house) so I have to keep them.

On opposit corner is an milling machine, RF-35, think 14 years old now. Did put on digital read outs DRO on this one 2 years ago and it´s recomended, it´s like a new machine (but almost to small to!). The Emco lathe Compact 8, is more than 30 years old and was my first machine, used it when buildning the CAT992 loader. It´s a very accurate machine but only used for small parts today. On right is a bender bought at same time as shearer, have not used it so much yet, can not decide it this a recommended machine or not, maybee because of my skills using it is not so good yet.

This is my bigger lathe, can be found under a lot of different names, a chinees machine, not as good as Emco but quite useful for bigger jobs. A better quality lathe had been much more expensive and I couldn´t justify that at this time. machine has also got DRO´s, helps a lot.

Last pic shows an overall view of my shop, size is 12´x15´. I guess we all want bigger spaces, at the moment I´m satisfied with what I have. The shop was expaned 2 years ago, still needs more shelfs to put all stuffs at. The D8 stands on a very useful tool, the movable cart that can adjust working height. The model weights around 400lbs now so I need something to move it with. Have 2 of those carts, was bought used.

When I started buildning bigger models (Cat992 was first) I had very limited resources and tools. It was only handtools and a electrical drill. I think you can do miracles without having a lot of machinery but it´s much easier to do if you have them!
If you missed another tread from me, please check out this models, the maker has only a couple of small hand held tools and a small welder, it´s amazing models.
http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=646

On my wish list is a computer controlled milling machine, I like to draw parts in computer and with such machine I think I could go another step in quality.
For you that read this tread knows that I use a lot of laser cut parts. There´s no way you can have this type of equipment on your own, and with a good contact with local companies, parts can be done rather cheep.

Not shown here is welding and grinding equipment, that´s because I do not do those jobs at home, use another bigger work shop designed for those works. I would love to have this possibilities at home but can´t find space for that shop. It could save me hours every time a small part have to be welded. Yes, I use MIG, trying to learn TIG and gas but as mentioned before, I´m working in office, have no education in metal fabrication, every thing has to learned hard way.

I would recommend everyone to buy as big machine you can afford or have space for. Accuracy will be better, some times it´s also better buing a used one (high quality) than a new cheaper copy.

If you have more questions of what I use or how I build parts please feel free to ask, I will answer as soon as I can.
Dan
Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 AM

cbazq271 is on a distinguished road

have any video of the load or dozer?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Apprentice

here´s a video of my machine, no it´s not running yet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/catmodel.../0/ANWBj6terhY

The 988B can be seen on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pZkMUV-01Y

Enjoy.
Dan
Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Green Horn

Trucker Al is on a distinguished road

Dan,
Absolutely incredible! Great work. Thanks for the videos.
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

FABULOUS VIDEO!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Apprentice

Employee arrived today, finaly.
Jim will be the driver of the D8R, have a good record driving a lot of machines (good for future builds).
Jim is 5´7" toll, can work around the clock and looking forward to some nice tools so he can maintain the machine in best way. Guess first work will be helping out with the interior!

Jim, all those bolts to hold the shoes are missing, get ready for some work!

Dan
Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Is he from your homeland? He sort a looks mad or constipated. Maybe just because he will need to wait a while before he can sit inside. You know he's going to want air conditioning too.

Tags
1/5.6, big scale, cat, d8r, dozer