RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:13 PM

crueby is on a distinguished road
Default Hi from a live steamer!

Hi all, new to this site though I've been a modeler for many years. Mostly done a lot of RC boats, though more recently I've gotten into steam engines and vehicles. Some of my more recent models are a Kozo Shay locomotive:

and a Lombard Log Hauler, which does include RC control for throttle and steering (some of you may have seen this one at Cabin Fever year before last). It is based on plans I drew after measuring the one at the looging museum up in Maine.

Currently I am working on a Marion 91 steam shovel, based on the last remaining one in LeRoy NY (near me) which I was able to get access to for measuring/photographing. I am about a year and a half into the build, should be done by next winter. It is 1:16 scale, and will be fully operational - making the slew/crowd engines now. Here is a shot of it partway along:

This is the prototype outside the quarry in LeRoy, where it worked from 1906 to 1949:

At some point I would like to build a RC excavator of a more model style, am researching that now.

Chris
Old 03-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hi from a live steamer!

Welcome! Love your work. Is your Lombard log hauler the same one currently being shown as a series of build articles in Live Steam Magazine?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:37 PM

Hi Zabco - yes it is, it started at the beginning of last year, should complete in the magazine around the end of this year. The article includes full plans for all the parts, for any who are interested. After the Lombard article is done, they have expressed an interest in the Marion model build too, which is very exciting for me.

I put a build log of both projects over on the Model Engine Maker forum too (including some videos of them running) - that forum is directed primarily at steam, air, and IC engine model making, but I have branched off into full vehicle builds, and this forum was highly recommended to me - looks to be a lot of great information here.

Chris
Old 03-23-2019, 07:03 PM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

Beautiful!

Kerst
Old 03-23-2019, 08:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Those are some very awesome machines you have built!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:15 AM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

Well done!
Old 03-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Glad you joined our group. I like your builds. Were you at Cabin Fever this year? Or did I miss seeing you? Hope you can setup your shovel on our dirt pile when shes ready and demonstrate it digging a cut and maybe load some dump cars like they did back in the day.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

9w - I was not able to make CF this year, hope to make it there every couple of years. It was in the 2018 show that Mike took my Lombard for a ride on his trailer:

https://youtu.be/7Zy6oA2gZ7M

It was great watching you guys play in the dirt pile, hope to have one able to join in. My Marion would dig, but setting it up for RC would be tough, the controls are hard to get at, and not easy to hide servos in it, plus would not run that long on steam. Hoping to make something electric powered and fully RC.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:06 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Wow, that's a heck of a way to make an enterance!

I remember seeing pics and video with the Lombard and thinking it was some steampunk thing, not knowing it actually did logging.

Is the Marion 91 to be steam or electric power? Looking at the bruder guy, that's going to be a beast.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Wow, that's a heck of a way to make an enterance!

I remember seeing pics and video with the Lombard and thinking it was some steampunk thing, not knowing it actually did logging.

Is the Marion 91 to be steam or electric power? Looking at the bruder guy, that's going to be a beast.
When I first saw pictures of a Lombard I just knew that I had to build a model of it. The folks up at the Maine logging museum were great, gave me full access for days to take photos and measurements, and taught me to drive it at thier events. It was the first commercially produced tracked vehicle, later versions were gas powered too. They were always the halftrack style, with the tracks just powered but with separate steering.

The Marion 91 model is steam powered, have not gotten to the boiler yet. Marion did make electric versions of it, also versions of the smaller models with separate compressed air power for mining.

My model is 4-1/2' long, will be around 100 pounds when done, definitely a beast to move! May need a scale crane...
Old 03-27-2019, 03:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crueby View Post
My model is 4-1/2' long, will be around 100 pounds when done, definitely a beast to move! May need a scale crane...
I know the feeling. My machine is close to 300# and the operators console is 575#
I have a special low to the ground cart to move the drag easily and also it can be picked up safely with a forklift. Earlier moving was very stressful because the natural pickup point was one of the I beams so I had to make sure anybody helping me knew where to lift from.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 PM

TaltosVT is on a distinguished road

Wow, that Lombard is awesome! I've been holding off on subscribing to Live Steam, but I may need to rethink that now. There's a Lombard at Clark's Trading Post / White Mountain Central Railroad in New Hampshire that I saw a few years ago. Very cool machines with an interesting history.

-Elroy