RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Mechanical tech

Mechanical tech This is for the mechanical parts of a model. Gear reductions, Axles, Transmissions, General drive line

Old 12-31-2016, 08:06 AM

SHROPSHIRE LAD is on a distinguished road
Default Servonaut motor help

I have built a few Tamiya trucks and use them locked in 2nd gear fitted to a Carson Poison motor so don't need a gearbox with 3 speeds and use the gearbox servo for the steering. My next project will need more space inside the cab to fit the drive battery so I'm thinking of using Servonaut drive set. I have been on the Servonaut website and was wondering if a GM32U390 will do the same thing.

GM32U390 gearbox drive 7,2V 390 RPM 37x86mm shaft 6mm
built-in suppression capacitors
nominal voltage: 7,2 V
no load speed: 470 U/min
nominal speed: 390 U/min
nominal output power: 21 W
peak output power: 47 W
nominal torque: 34,6 Ncm
about 50% more power than GM32U370
dimensions: 37 x 86 mm without shaft; shaft diameter 6 mm

Is this a single 1 speed drive set which will match a Tamiya gearbox in 2nd gear with a Carson Motor ? and will my Tamiya 104bk speed controller fit or do you need a Servonaut.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:51 AM
Green Horn

gismow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Servonaut motor help

Hi...

I only use these motors and they are really great. You can use it with your ESC. The maximum speed is something between the 1st and the 2nd gear, more to the 2nd. I'm driving on parcours and its speed is absolute fine for this.

In comparison to the standard gear box you don't have any tolerances in your drive chain. This makes it very easy to maneuver on smallest terrain.

Since I drove this motor the first time I never assembled again a standard gear box (except of my test truck for my boards). They are always sold directly in parts.

If you visit the homepage of Servonaut again, please have a look at their ESCs. They are absolute fantastic. They are not cheap, but they are every cent worth it. In combination with the motor you have an excellent combination and if you're driving, you hear absolute nothing. Silence in perfection. The ESCs are very sensitive and their service is excellent.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:04 PM

Many thanks for your help I think this is the way to go. I'm now hoping to buy one and use it with their Servonaut E22 speed controller. I'm not a speed freak when driving my trucks, they cost way too much so anything around 1st-2nd gear is fine with me
Old 01-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHROPSHIRE LAD View Post
Many thanks for your help I think this is the way to go. I'm now hoping to buy one and use it with their Servonaut E22 speed controller. I'm not a speed freak when driving my trucks, they cost way too much so anything around 1st-2nd gear is fine with me
Can also advice to go for the Servonaut motor. It's number 1 for the Tamiya trucks,a lot of power reserve, suitable speed. One do not need more than one gear (for most normal RC trucking use) Very popular motor for the ones who are a bit into the hobby and actually like to do some realistic driving. I think the 3 step gearbox is in the Tamiya kit's mainly because it look impressing with a the 'slice through' picture of it on the boxes. It sure looks impressive on the pictures, but it's not very practical in use, along with the original Formula 1 motor. Naturally, if one are into speeding up and down the street, it's just fine.

Last edited by Rimrock; 01-17-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:07 AM

I have just ordered one from Germany and looking forward to giving it a run in my latest project. You are right about the 3 speed gearbox it may look good and sound a good idea to have a working a gearbox, but in the real world of RC trucking it takes up alot of space and is too quick.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:06 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

nice intel, thanks for sharing