RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Odds and Ends. > Non Rc Model Trucks and Equipment

Non Rc Model Trucks and Equipment This area is for the custom builders of the "MODEL" world to show there NON RC metal and plastic creations and builds.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road
Talking My 1/24th Cabover long project

I guess this fits here its a non r/c and its a truck
Started this build about a year ago and it'll prob take me another one to fully finish it. I Started off with the remake of the White Freighliner kit and the duel tandom pup trailer kit. There are several mods going into to as well as lots of lights ( the main set back of build time on it) i think the last count it'll have just over 400 leds..... So heres what i have done so far.
Cab together and test fit

Frame painted and detailed

Motor assembled and started to be detailed and weatherd

I like details

tires and 5th wheel on

my start at the madness....

they are Model railroad 1mm leds...

So needing a break from the cab and wiring i decided to start the tailers and dolly.. well i couldnt leave that alone either so i started wireing that up too

I used Cat-5 (phone wire) for my wires, and the smallest solder i could find.. These things pop easily soldering...
Got the trailers mostly built

Started my new bumper

I hop around on builds idk why maybe i have ADD but i always do when building i always have 2 or 3 things being built at once.
Motor and radiator in and mounted

Started the interior.... painting with a toothpick for these small squares

Then i came up with some ideas.. The original idea was to house the battery in the cab and then have the cab power the trailer, the trailer the dolly and the dolly the trailer.... and it still may happen just trying to figure voltage and led count forward resistance AHHHH ill gladly hire someone to help there..... its a nightmare, so working in the telecomunication field i came up with yanking the pins out of a phone jack reattaching them to cat-5 and wiring into the dolly ( for now only thing with lights working to test)
then drilled small holes and put a metal piece behind the hole, so when you plug in the cables it conects the power!! the back of both trailers will get sockets for the dolly to hook up to so either trailer can be the lead trailer. Being me and thinking overkill now that i got into the bigger trucks with my globe and the MFU i may have to pick up a light&sound kit to wire this all right and make it where i can remotely turn lights on/off have turn signals or flashers etc.... kinda the expensive route but hey i already have $200 in leds right?!?
Heres what im talking about

Thats the progress so far. My workshop isnt heated so in winter i dont build much... But i should be resuming soon enough and will be adding updates.. what do you think so far?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My 1/24th Cabover long project

Looking real good so far. I love the idea of led's in a static model, it add's realism and that is cool. Can't wait to see her finished. I have a freightliner like yours, I had trouble with the steps, so take your time and be patient.

Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Green Horn

YoungGunz is on a distinguished road

Looks good man! For wiring.... I don't know what battery you plan on using or what your LED's are rated at but when wiring my truck with a 7.2 volt supply and 3V LED's i could only run 3 LED's in series and wiring in parallel can be a pain

J.D.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Yea they are 3v 1mm leds.. Problem is when I ordered 200 more of different kind they came in 3 different voltages. That's my main hang up is the lights. The truck can be done in 2 days easy but until I figure out wiring I'm stuck where I'm at and pulling my hair out. Was thinking of going the add on relay board from as-tronics as thru say it can handle 200 3v leds... So idk. I need help figuring it out or I have to do it with fiber optics and that's easier said then done as well. I'm about ready to scratch the light idea just to finish the truck
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Wannabe

hippy is on a distinguished road

COOL! looking great! love the old school look. that old frieghtshaker is going to light up the night with that many lights on.lol.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Journeyman

Kaf343 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice Aaron