RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Green Horn

FlyingBeagle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My first Lipo incident.

One misconception I see a lot is that lipos blow up. Lipos don't explode, they just burn very rapidly. Make sure that there is nothing near a suspect Lipo that is combustible as the fire will be intense, but pretty localized.

The safest way I know of to dispose of a Lipo is by first discharging it all the way. I do this by running it down very far and then putting it in a bowl of salt water to completely discharge. This removes all of the stored energy so they become fairly benign. Once discharged you can puncture it safely. If you puncture a Lipo that still has a charge that is when you get the fireworks. And if it is fully charged it can be quite a show.

You can save a Lipo that has been completely drained by charging each individual cell slowly with a non computerized charger until they all meet your digital chargers minimum voltage requirement. Then balance charge from there. I agree with Joe above though that the future risks are not worth the money saved.

Last edited by FlyingBeagle; 10-05-2014 at 02:49 PM.