RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 AM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Possible Solution For Tracked Equiptment

Same principle could be used for aluminum track pads. I work with an aluminum extrusion shop on some parts. A die that size and profile would probably cost me around $2k by the time I got the first 100lbs of material from it. So your talking a triple and single grouser die for $4k. The links I would have to look at closer but may not be that difficult given some creative fixturing. Hardest part would be a couple of the inside corners need to be square.

Anyway, even doing it this way, yes you'd probably be up in the $1k per set of tracks. I'd have to run the numbers to be sure, could be lower but I still have to amoritize the cost of the dies over a few sets. Doing this way width of tracks would be easy to adjust, size changes would mean a whole new die. Then for some wear resistance could hard anodize all the parts (which requires milling them slightly different).

Steel..... I have seen a couple places that do extrude steel shapes, have no idea on what they cost but can imagine its considerably more.

Oh and I forgot all about pins.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Possible Solution For Tracked Equiptment

thanks Jeff yes you need to factor in pins and screws .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.