RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Euro Style Trucks and Trailers

Euro Style Trucks and Trailers A place for the Euro style trucks single and twin axle trucks and trailers...

Old 07-21-2015, 07:32 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scaleart - assembling an Arocs 8x8 roll on roll off kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfubar View Post
Well done!

On the charge port, I would suggest checking if you can get a right angle plug of the same size... Typically they are a bit shorter...

On the sound, I am sure you will get it sorted, more than likely it is something simple... Wrong plug or wrong direction etc... There are lots of wires in these things... It's really easy to get a couple wrong first time around! :-)

Let us know if you want us to review how it is connected... Pics and diagrams will make that relatively easy...

Cheers,
Ap
Hi Ap, not too worried about the SMX, as you say, probably have reversed a plug somewhere. In the next couple of days I will check up on the wiring in the cabine and take some pictures of how I plugged what in where. Maybe I'm too close to it to see where I might have gone wrong.

Good idea about the right angle plug for the charger! Meanwhile succeeded in charging battery by using some crocodile clips - bit iffy but went OK. Battery does get very hot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfubar View Post
Ahhh...

Just looked at your jumpers on the SMX...

Check the manual, on the bottom of page 9... I think you have the smx in setup mode... If you haven't changed the jumpers since you took the photo... In post #108...

Cheers,
Ap
WOW, you went back to check .. thanks for that! ... The jumpers at the moment are per the manual in setting 1

When I tried to turn change the programming on the SMX, nothing much happened ... supposed to get the air brake sound, but nada ...

Thanks again for giving it some thought! Really appreciate that!

Stephan
Old 07-21-2015, 07:54 AM
Apprentice

So this morning the non working servo controlling the valve of the hook arm was up for checking. Easier said than done, had to take all the wiring back apart ... Good thing I did remember to move the mechanism in the up position beforehand because you can't move it now that it is filled with oil. Luckily I could pull the wires without having to take off the bottom plate.

Had to pull wires of both servos because they both run through the same piece of shrink tubing.

Didn't see any breaks in my soldering but just to make sure added a new lead I got from the gear servo I busted. Put it on the tester and it worked. I figured one of het three wires must have an internal break. So sigh of relief. And then the struggle getting those wires back to the front. Took some convincing - and a bit of rope - but got it done.

As truck stands now. Hydraulics in working order, all lights on truck working (except cabin) etc etc - Looking at pictures I notice I still have to put up the protection rings on the front wheels.

Tomorrow I will check on the wiring to the Universal Kingbus in the cabin and then connect it directly to the 4 way connector and bypassing the flat cable. See if that sorts the problem.

And then ... I will start on the container ... been saving that one for last. A nice and simpel straightforward nuts and bolt job.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Green Horn

Trucker Al is on a distinguished road

Hi Stephen,
I would say this a good update. I love it when problems are solved as I'm sure you do too.
Thanks, Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:52 AM
Apprentice

Hi Alan, true always nice if problems get solved easy.

Did connect the Universal Bus in de cabin directly, switched polarity etc and no joy. So going to leave it for a bit. Got the tracking number of the crimping tool and parts for the servo, will look at it when I take it apart again to shorten the servo wires.

An so today I finished the last assembly. No more package sitting around.

This looks like fun!

Part 1

As usual a beautifully piece of metalwork. All brass under the paint. Paint is excellent too.

First the gliders go on. Very precise fit. Model nuts in front and regular philips screws at the bottom about every other hole.

Front

Bottom

Next the cross piece the sliding hooks of the mechanism grab on too when kipping. Had to loosen the screws holding the glider bars. Very tight fit.

Rollers at the end. Had to file a bit at the holes in the supports to get the pins through. No big deal, but little files are recommended for this build.

Wood flooring. Kit comes with copper nails you have to insert after drilling the holes out with a 1mm bit, then clip excess and file smooth. Someone at ScaleART had done this already. So my set came prepped like this.

Gets fastened with M2 model bolts. The underlying frame work had threaded holes in it. (exept the middle of the 2 small pieces ... somehow the thread were in the wrong holes. Put an M2 nut on to hold it in place.)

4 uprights slide in holder and bolted on with one M2 model bolt

Had to file some paint off to get a good/easy fit. Also had to run the file at the bottom of the holder so get rid of some excess paint.

Eyebolts and chain links to tie down the load. Need 8 got 10. 2 of them extra long. Used those in the corners at the read. No way I could fasten the nut with those wheels in place there.

Chain links attached to the eye bolts

Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Apprentice

Part 2

ScaleART left some indents to have access to the nuts going on the eyebolts, but even if I wanted to use M2 model nuts, I couldn't get the tool in there. So was a bit of a challenge, but after 2 you have a system.

Done

Now prepping the boards. First the rear one. Simple but effective locking mechanism. Needs some Loctite on the nut.

The pins gets fastened with crazy glue where they go through the holes. Manual stated to run a 1.5 mm bit through the hole before going through this procedure. On my kit this was done already.

Same for the longer ones on the side. Have to be careful though, one has the pins sticking out on the right and the other on the left.

Remembered to put the protection rings on the front wheels. Used a bit of thin double side tape to hold them in place.

So that's it ... technically the end of this thread ... Now going to run this truck a bit trying not to hit too many things and then see how to sort out the sound and cabin lights.

So an update will be in the works.

One things for sure, had a great time bolting this together and I can only hope you did too indirectly then.

Cheers! Stephan
Old 07-22-2015, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Truck looks GREAT!! Wasn't sure about the white cab at first- and I have a white truck to build of my own - but after seeing the blue container on the truck, You have a winner!! Again, hope you find all of the gremlins in the electronics quickly and easily.

GREAT TRUCK!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:19 AM
Apprentice

Thank you tc1cat! And to think I almost got an orange / silver combo ...

lots of trucks here in Malaysia happen to be white and blue. Although they're not Mercs and usually old 4x2s Mostly brands I've never heard of before from China or Korea and then some local ones.

Now looking at the truck ... this is not something you are going to toss some muck in ... will have to get another container for the back. A good excuse for another ScaleART fix
Old 07-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Green Horn

Trucker Al is on a distinguished road

Beautiful build Stephen !!
I really hate to see this come to an end, when you gonna built the next one (-:

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:00 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Alan ... So do I - hate it that is has come to an end - I'm a bit lost now since this build has kept me busy for about 3 months. Guess I can finally put the 3rd coat of varnish on the front door now.

Very tempted to get another one, but €€€€ ...

Stephan
Old 07-23-2015, 01:49 AM

Newcomer_2 is on a distinguished road

Hi Stephan,

you did a really good job with this build! It was very interesting for my to have a look at the latest version of the roll on-/off-tipper.

By the way, I think you absolutely need two other containers ... the flat one and the high version.

You can find some of my RC-models on

Normally I´m speaking german, please forgive my mistakes in English.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:47 AM
Apprentice

Yes Christian, I see where this is going, first 2 more containers, then the trailer, then a 2nd truck ...

Stephan
Old 07-23-2015, 04:11 AM

Yes Stephan, I think this would be the best way to go on ...

Old 07-23-2015, 04:11 AM
Apprentice

Had the truck out in the garden this afternoon. Good thing I went for 8x8. Had to use the diff locks a couple of times to get him to move. I also found out that I had never torqued the 2 nuts holding the wheels onto the first rear axle An interesting moment.

One thing for sure, third gear is way too fast for me.

Tried unloading the container, but it got stuck in the grass. Need a smoother surface for that exercise. Meanwhile I can pretend to unload like this.

Without the side panels

And last picture, containing all the areas that needed some filing.
The supports for the rollers could be a bit bigger so there would be no need to elongate the holes in it as to get the pin through it.

You can also see how the long eyebolt attaches. (and it looks like I will need a bigger washer there)

Cheers
Stephan
Old 07-29-2015, 05:21 AM
Wannabe

Brel is on a distinguished road

great looking truck, a great build to follow from start to finish
Old 07-29-2015, 02:24 PM

Tp_hofmann is on a distinguished road

Great model - nicely assembled !

Br,
Thomas
Old 07-29-2015, 03:59 PM

chris1210 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Scaleart - assembling an Arocs 8x8 roll on roll off kipper

I've been following since the first started. Can't wait to see the video of it running
Old 07-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Apprentice

Hi Brel, Tom, chriss1210 ... Thank you for the comments.

As for a video of it running ... will be a while due to slow 3G internet and nobody around to hold the phone.

Meanwhile I finally found a supplier of decent paint. Now seriously thinking of repainting the chassis in RAL 3002 (red). Since I will have to take the truck partly apart when I replace the 2 supports of the kipping mechanism, might as well do a proper job of it then. Will not be for tomorrow although I did put in an order for the paint.

Stephan
Old 09-12-2015, 11:18 PM
Apprentice

Time for an update here.

Christian who has the same container in the works pointed out a problem:
These hooks that hold the container during kipping are supposed to go completely over the cross piece.

And the sliding hooks that control the locking mechanism for other containers are blocked too,

ScaleArt is aware of this problem and will come out with an update to fix this. However in the meantime I decided to see if I could come up with something that would make it work as it should.

Since the cross bar is too thick to let the hooks slide over it, filing is in order:

Because a decent chunk of material was removed, a little bit of bracing would be good.

With this all taken care of noticed that now the hook mechanisme slides into the diagonal support of the exhaust - why did I have to order that piece? - bending it.

Added a small piece of aluminium to alleviate this problem.

After some filler and sanding tested it.

Missing the diagonal support with a hair! Will add some small bits of rubber to give a bit more distance.

Painted the cross bit black since it is barely visible.

Added 2 rubber bumper stops to it to give more distance

And re-installed. Everything now working in good order

Now waiting for the replacement pieces I messed up when I drilled out the broken bolts.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:20 AM

KAF1 is on a distinguished road

If the ever do a Build of the Year, this should be nominated!
Ken
Old 09-16-2015, 04:40 AM

That's absolutely right, Ken! - Stephan did a really good job!

Tags
8x8, arocs, scaleart