RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Bruder D5 dozer - JerryIndy

We now join a build in progress i've been keeping mostly under wraps. Couple years ago after an rc meet, my dad (JerryIndy) decided he wanted a Bruder Dozer. I got him one for a present a while later. A lot of life happened, so it didn't get very far before it was forgotten...

Merry Christmas, it's back and wants revenge for being left on my work bench!!!
Killdozer, Wildland firefighting, normal Construction, New, Weathered, Rental... I don't know!

Rippers don't seem to work on these, so i like the drawbar mount to start off. Then i drilled the 3-point arms and added a 1/10 shackle for more pulling options. We'll see if he likes that, or wants a winch or something?

Steel (pallet strapping) wear edge on blade, blade pivots are locked straight with servo screws, some panel outlining, front and side led lights installed. Drive sprockets filled with jb weld, then 'milled' down. round servo arms installed, centers of drive hubs bored for servo hardware, every other tooth has a 0.040 styrene tab milled and bonded in.

Continious-rotation modded servo drives, pretty stealthy blade lift using the rams.

Hit the rams and a couple really high wear areas with some molotow chrome to look less toy. It's already come back off the lift rams i'm fiddling with a lot.

I'm gonna see what kinda parts he wants to order, and we'll go from there as stuff arrives.
--

Uh, after viewing the Caterpillar site, following the Inturdnet in calling this model a D5 looks to have been a mistake.
This machine looks more like a D1, D2, D3, D4.
However, the D5 is a hi-drive sprocket like the D6, D7, D8, D9.

Last edited by frizzen; 01-01-2022 at 11:31 PM. Reason: I don't know what this is, but i'm not stopping.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bruder D5 dozer - JerryIndy

These are nice little machines. They push quite good for their size and weight too.

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2021, 12:34 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

When you get a chance I'd like to see how you did the blade lift.... it looks pretty slick
Looks good so far....and egronvold is right they are a fun dozer to build and operate...
Old 12-27-2021, 06:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys! I'd seen a lot of good things about conversions of this model.

For the blade-lift: i pulled the fake cylinders off, pulled the rams out, removed notchy detent thing. Then i hit the inboard sides of each Cyl a little above center line with a cutoff disk, so that i could now span a piece of steel wire between the rams. Rams run freely in Cylinders Then grabbed a linkage, used a servo mount brass tube to reduce some slop, added some brass-tube spacers to align the linkage on this bar, and brought it back to a Spms401 that i stole out of my Rally Subaru. Servo lost 1/2 of a mount ear, and belly pan got slotted. Interior got some stiffeners shaved off bottom side.

Then I hacked out more from the hood side panels to clear this steel & brass Ram transfer bar, and bonded the offcuts back to the lower section. This way the new travel slot is mostly hidden by the rams. The belly pan usually has a smooth taper from a body tab support up to blade cylinder mount area, now i've got a hard 90 degree jump. Post 1, Pic 3, check out area near Right cylinder.

Blade lift & lower also had some work done for more travel both directions. Not sure if it's even needed, but i was in there anyway. I'd rather use end-points to control travel instead of worrying a hard stop would hit first.

Originally, I had wanted to run a narrow servo somewhere in the engine area, more directly acting on one of the blade support raised parts where it clears the axle. I didn't have any narrow enough on hand, and wasn't having much luck.

I also left some of the epoxy putty a little chunky on the under-carriage (from drive servo install) which will probably get weathered into caked on dirt/hydro oil/schmoo. Probably going to make a belly weight to ease the transition from belly to servos.
When i converted the servos to 360 drive, i also moved the wire slot to exit at the new top for better cable management.

Also the the grille is somewhere under / around my garage workbench... for the last couple months.

Last edited by frizzen; 12-28-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:35 PM
Wannabe

bigpipespete is on a distinguished road

You're right about the ripper , ive always liked the look of a winch on the back of a dozer. I bought this dozer too with the intent of converting but then bought the RC4WD dozer instead.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yeah, i believe all of the build threads and videos i'd ever found on the bruder Cat D4/D5 have said the Ripper simply doesn't work, at all, in anything, ever. Well, i usually try to learn from others, but it still looks pretty cool.
So, when he unboxed & i started in on this one, i put the ripper over there...

Now the Ripper actually DOES work!
---
Anyway, i made him order some junk and make a few decisions. Looks almost like a plan coming together
Fs-ia6 (to use one of my fs-i6 TX)
3A Bec
2/3A nimh 1600mAh cells (5 - 6)
Small round 'square' light beacon with flash patterns
Wpl winch w/ controller or 10a esc

Think he's already got enough epoxy & lead shot hanging around to add some mass.
Exterior lighting will come on with power switch as pilot light, probably something in cabin too
I'm thinking a charge plug to be hidden behind drawbar plate.
Probably a battery Charge/Run switch, and model Power switch

Bruder Caterpillar Dozer
spms401 servo - blade
Mg996 ??? servo - resistor modded for continious drive
Wpl suspension upgrade links that were too long for my Van - yet still too long for this.

Track1, Track2, Blade lift, Beacon light, Winch option, empty channel

Last edited by frizzen; 12-31-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:46 PM
Journeyman

Pretty much covers it... sounds like he'll be really happy with it.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Maybe i shouldn't have revived this one, I just might be in trouble now.

Once he got some parts on the way for this thing, a guy mentioned that he might need to get a Bigger Dumptruck, for some dumping and so that it could pull a Dozer on a trailer without looking weird. I drug out a few old steel things i had around that might fit the bill like a Tonka turbine, Nylint ford, Ertl coe, Tonka dodge...
So now he's checking into donor trucks for a nylint Ford 9000. Wpl or Jjrc tri-axle looks like a close enough match. Does anybody already know what upgrades it'll need from the start?

He also mentioned thinking my little farm tractor was pretty cool. This probably wasn't a good idea.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:51 AM

Tgrzes is on a distinguished road

I’m liking that D5! I’ll definitely need to put this on my project list for the grandkids!
Old 12-29-2021, 09:27 AM
Journeyman

This is just the way I do it.... I order the WPL metal axle sets, the metal transfer case and upgraded driveshafts...The smaller WPL "rock tires" ( their term) or the Lego tires look the best to me..here are some links to Aliexpress but you can get them from Amazon if you can't wait.
Axles https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3287...14ab4c4dXw9UoY
Motor and transfer case. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...14ab4c4dXw9UoY
Tires https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...27424c4d8t5UjV
See-saw https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...27424c4d8t5UjV
Metal upgrade wheels https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...27424c4dXRrlt2
Drive shaft upgrade https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...27424c4d2QvaGX

Clone Lego tires https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...27424c4dcdnJhz
These take a different rim...if you go this route let me know I think I can help there.
You can go with any or all of these.....just some ideas...
Old 12-29-2021, 03:14 PM
Green Horn

ddmckee54 is on a distinguished road

Jerry56:

I ordered almost exactly the same stuff to see if it would work for a future Bruder Granite Liebherr crane conversion. The stuff looks great, but it's just a wee bit too small for the Bruder, and looks out of place when compared to the originals.

The WPL gear is just the right size though to replace the running gear on the Bruder Cross Country Jeep conversion that I did a while ago.

Don
Old 12-29-2021, 03:45 PM
Journeyman

I agree they look a little undersized for the Bruder cranes ... but for a Tonka size truck they are as close to a perfect fit as you'll find at that price point...
I used them on my Bruder ram and they looked spot on to me....
Old 01-01-2022, 05:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Got the RX and BEC, so i hooked up some stuff and started a little programming. Subtrims to stop servo creep, then move onto

Tracks on ch 1, 2. Right stick (centering). Then by setting up 2 mixes, you can get both tracks driving correctly and easily.
Mix 1, ch 1 master, ch 2 slave, 100% 100%
Mix 2, ch 2 master, ch 1 slave, -100% -100%

Blade lift on ch3, Left stick (not centering throttle). Backed off the epa so it doesn't over-travel. I'll probably want to shorten up the mount on servo arms to use more throw, and get more torque out of it. If i'm smart, i'll start looking into a metal gear option in the same case size.

Last edited by frizzen; 01-01-2022 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:25 PM

I see some guys use servos for the drive like you did and some use a gearbox/motor setup. What are the benefits of going with one way or the other?
Old 01-01-2022, 07:24 PM
Journeyman

I used the gear box for my delta and D5... because when I was sourcing parts you had to convert the servos and I wasn't thrilled about doing that so I went with the Tamiya gearbox.
But now that there are continuous rotation servos readily available I think that's the way I will go if/when the gearboxes fail... 2 servos take up less room than the gearbox and it eliminates 2 ESCs and associated wiring . Plus I think it makes attaching the drive wheels easier....
I haven't used my dozer or loader enough to speak to their durability so time will tell.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That's a good question!
But I don't know, its all trade offs.

Gearboxes are probably going to be more robust, possibly handle more torque, and have bigger motors. They'll need seperate escs, take up more space, little more wiring involved. Shaft to hub adapters aren't always available how you need

Gearmotors are mostly sealed, need escs, more mid-size motors. Lots of ratios to choose from, usually have bearing or bushings available.

Servos are pretty well sealed, more self contained, driver board can be used as esc, and often cheaper to start with. Hub adapter is easy with just a splined servo horn. 2a stall is around the most you'll see without letting out smoke of your driver or rx.

Mostly my decision for this project was based around: i still had a 4 pack of these servos already here for a cable crane that i hadn't really started converting. Instead that crane will probably get something more like the hs645 like i run in my Michigan T24 crane

--
Now that it's too late for dads, I also ran across this Dozer conversion that looks really slick. Their drive servos fit better than what i used, and the dual-servo blade lift looks slick using the rams

https://youtu.be/zEvEBDnsqXc

Last edited by frizzen; 01-01-2022 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the explanations guys - very helpful! And some nice ideas in that video too. Looking forward to giving one of these a try some day!
Old 01-03-2022, 10:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Frizzy, I LOVE the idea you have to paint the ram arms so they look more gooder!
Old 01-10-2022, 08:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys, this ones been pretty fun messing with.

Ugh, way too many words frizzen. Needs more pictures!

Smoke checking the systems

Added channel labels to servo plugs.
Hooked up a Charge/Run switch at BEC (temporary until we find a better switch & choose mounting location.)
Roof lighting feeds from an empty channel on RX

Another angle of Blade lift detail

Winch attachment

Used part of a Bruder toy-winch plate to keep interchangibility with drawbar plate. A wpl winch hangs off the added top plate so the 'roller' fairlead on it still looks scale

Planning to have the charge port JST hang out behind the rear accessory plate. Not sure where the switches are going.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:03 PM
Journeyman

It's really coming along, I should have used an extra winch plate for mine but didn't think about it in time....
It will be ready by the time the weather warms up...