RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 PM

edwalsh18 is on a distinguished road
Default CAT Truck

this showed up at my job today, union station in downtown los angeles

snapped a few quick pics, thought i would share them

he was unloading a man lift, forklift was also on trailer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1212120817a.jpg (88.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 1212120818a.jpg (87.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 1212120818b.jpg (89.8 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: CAT Truck

Looks like a Volvo and Mack got together to make a baby.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 AM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

actually i think they are made by international i think lol Travy would know
Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

IH cab cat designed hood built by IH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

Yes the truck itself is based and designed on the internation navistar platform.cat no longer builds on road engines for other companies like kw and peterbilt.kenworth is actually building and supplying the engines for the kw and peterbilts from the company daf over in the uk.so cat got together with navistar and decided to supply on road cat engines for their own truck.however cat will still service the existing cat engines that are currently in the trucks on the road now indefinitely. I know because i was concerned when the announcement came out about the engines.i was told by the regional manager at my cat dealer that i service my kw with you won't be able to order trucks with cat engines anymore.which sucks because i have had a cummins,and a detroit and now a cat and i prefer the cat motor.they are a bit pricey to repair but the rugged durabilty you can't match.that last part was only my opinion...
Old 12-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

Btw the cat truck is becoming a serious contender with mack in the construction industry
Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

I saw at least 2 on the road already.
Seems like a nice truck.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

They would be a contender if they could just deliver the **** things.
My Cat salesman told me that they probably won't buy any, for dealer transports!
Now they don't have a 15 liter engine, Navistar dropped the Maxforce 15 engine, it won't pass emissions, they are going with ISX Cummins and emissions system.
Now the Garland Texas plant where the trucks are built is scheduled to be closed, in the next few months. For all the fanfare, they haven't delivered the goods!
I won't even consider buying one, when my Mack gets traded
Cheer's from the grumpy one!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

I work for a CAT dealer and we have 2 of the new trucks with the C15's and so far they are OK. We had one with the C13 and it was to say the least it was not real impressive. We also have some on the lot for sale but they are not getting a lot of attention. When they do drop the C15 the C13 will have to be stepped up in power if dealers are going to have a chance of selling the trucks.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 12-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I haven't heard good reviews on the Maxforce 13 engine, local drivers hate it.
No 15 liter engine, few will sell! What a story to watch.
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road

With the way all the trucks are starting to look alike and the environmental groups making emission control decisions that affect the performance of our rigs, I’m just as happy to have fond memories of my driving days

I’m content now to have my radio control replica trucks

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 AM
Green Horn

Goose19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Control Trucker View Post
With the way all the trucks are starting to look alike and the environmental groups making emission control decisions that affect the performance of our rigs, I’m just as happy to have fond memories of my driving days

I’m content now to have my radio control replica trucks

- RCT
i really hope one day i can look back with the same attitude!

the cat truck seems to me to be a yellow strange looking version of the old paystar series. when they were first announced, they were supposed to be severe duty/ oilfield trucks, and i had heard they where going to have an actual cat engine, not the maxxforce. i know a few guys with maxxforce engines and theyre happy as can be with them, one i know is a 15L, the other i would assume is aswell ( does the same work as me, very difficult to load 40+ ton on the deck and ask a 13l to move it)

on another note, if you take an isx cummins, set the power just under the maximum and have the egr plugged, put a higher CFM exhaust manifold on it with a aftermarket turbo, they perform quite well. i do understand that we the consumer shouldnt have to do that as a necessity to get performance and efficiency out of our engines, but thanks to the folks at CARB, this is where we are. :S

anyway im done for now. LOL
Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Green Horn

Goose19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
I think its about time Volvo brought there 750hp/ 3550nm torque engines to the States and put them in the North American Volvo/MACK.

we have had them in Europe for a couple years now

Also Scania make an amazing V8 with 750hp, they do supply engines aswell.

Its proof you can have immense power and fuel efficiency.

Check out the UK site or Volvo Trucks

http://www.volvotrucks.com/SiteColle...Volvo-FH16.jpg

volvo does have the 16 litre engine here, but they only crank it up to 550hp. id be willing to bet its the same engine they turn up to 750hp over there. just like how you can get a c16 cat here thats putting out 700hp or better. i know a guy who sent out a c15 to be punched out to a c18 bulldozer engine, for his race truck. it feels like it wants to lift a wheel off the ground at an idle!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Interesting that the Europeans will put 750 HP on a "single screw" rear end.
Yes I realize that they have planetary hub's, but very hard on tire's!
I had a new Volvo parked next to me at the border last week, smoothest idle that I've ever heard in a truck engine!
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

The reason the Cat engine is no longer produced for on road truck is the emissions problems they had and when their competition who is cummins came out with the new ISX which had very few emissions issues CAT was basically forced to stop producing the engines because no one wanted to buy them for their vehicles anymore I know this because I have talked to sales reps for CAT and I have friends who work for CAT
Old 12-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Like Travis I too work for CAT. Everyone is talking emissions and new high tech systems.
When i started back in 93 as a feild service tech, there was no laptops and flash files. I had my injection pump rack tooling which i actually physically used to "turn up the volume" on many a truckers CAT engine. Anybody can flash a file, but theres nothing like turning up a rack..... I really miss those days

Not too many CAT trucks in my neck of the woods. I did see one in Sudbury a few months ago set up as a concrete truck. Yes, looks like a Mack had a kid with a volvo and the grandpa is navistar??.....lol
there are words to describe a offspring like that which cant be used here

mario
Old 12-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy8305 View Post
The reason the Cat engine is no longer produced for on road truck is the emissions problems they had and when their competition who is cummins came out with the new ISX which had very few emissions issues CAT was basically forced to stop producing the engines because no one wanted to buy them for their vehicles anymore I know this because I have talked to sales reps for CAT and I have friends who work for CAT
So your saying Cat stopped making on highway engines and Cummins is still building them has nothing to do with diesel credits that cummins has been buying for years and are now using to avoid penalties on engines that don't meet emissions? Cat did not buy the credits and has to pay penalties for engines that do not meet emissions. As far as no one wanting to buy the Cat engines anymore that is not true for our dealership. We had many of our bigger companies we work with that stocked up on engines before production was stopped to keep there trucks running on Cat power for as long as they can.

Cat's main focus is there machines and Cummins is there engines, what they are both best at. Who is to say that Cat is just not sitting back to see what emissions technology works well for others and then invest in that and start producing engines again?

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 12-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

Well how it all started was years ago before emissions the government went to CAT and Cummins and basically forced them both to make cleaner(emissions) engines for the future and CAT was the first to produce these type of engines but there had a lot of kinks in their on road engine production as far as their emissions components and Cummins perfromed more testing on their engines before introducing them to the public

Plus: CAT was widely known for their heavy equipment and Cummins is in deed their engines which I do agree they are both Best at but from what I was told CAT will no longer make CAT truck engines but who knows anything is possible I know alot of people who have stocked up on CAT engines for the same reason but they were not the emissions regulated engine they were preemissions 1306
Old 12-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
well CAT didnt go down well in 2012 in London Ontario, Canada, they locked out workers at a Locomotive plant, demanding they too a 50% paycut !
I got to tour that plant back in about 1970, I was 4 or 5 at the time.

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

Saw a Cat truck with a plow here in Halifax. It looked kinda wimpy as the plow was rather small.