PDA

View Full Version : styrene for loader bucket?

cosworth34677
02-07-2015, 07:49 AM
just that could i use polystyrene to make a loader bucket? i'm kind of worried about my skill in making a aluminum one or even one out of brass, but i got like pile of polystyrene from work. but just wondering if i can make it tough enough to take the pushing and working of rock piles sand dirt and gravel. what do you think?

Rimrock
02-08-2015, 03:36 AM
The material itself could be strong enough, with a certain thickness. The problem would be to get the corner connections strong enough I would think..
Maybe someone in your neighbourhood is into metalworking, and can help put together a spot-welded bucket of steel, or alu sheets?

Lmackattack
02-08-2015, 04:09 AM
It would work to hold a load but I would be more worried about how it connects to the rest of the machine and the abuse it will see. When the bucket is digging into a pile the nose sides and back side see a lot of stress. Will glue hold it? I don't think for long. Now if your only moving soft rubber or dry sand you might be ok?

cosworth34677
02-08-2015, 11:00 AM
The material itself could be strong enough, with a certain thickness. The problem would be to get the corner connections strong enough I would think..
Maybe someone in your neighbourhood is into metalworking, and can help put together a spot-welded bucket of steel, or alu sheets?

It would work to hold a load but I would be more worried about how it connects to the rest of the machine and the abuse it will see. When the bucket is digging into a pile the nose sides and back side see a lot of stress. Will glue hold it? I don't think for long. Now if your only moving soft rubber or dry sand you might be ok?

thanks guys, ya kind of what i figured. for cleaning up and loader be fine but for digging ya, may not work so well