PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Western Colorado

GjtBob
02-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Hi everyone, I'm Bob from Western Colorado, and I am a total newbie to the site, and RC Trucking, however I was a Professional Trucker for 25 years before being forced into retirement 8 years ago due to a severe illness.

I am really looking forward to learning as much as I can about RC, and am still deciding on my first build. I am curious where some of you buy your kits online, as my local Hobby Store, is mainly into aircraft, and I want to stay on the ground for now. Also, I'm interested in any advice on Radio equipment that is a good entry level, but also has room to grow with me for a few years.

I've been cruising the forums, and love what I have seen so far. Sorry I'm long winded, but I am pretty stoked about getting into this sport.

Lil Giants
02-20-2015, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the forum Bob. Your only limitation is your imagination. :)

I like Spektrum technology. Very easy to program, very easy to use & expand.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/

Dreamweaver
02-21-2015, 03:08 AM
http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss316/MJDreamweaver/Reference%20Pictures/Smillies/welcome1.gif (http://s587.photobucket.com/user/MJDreamweaver/media/Reference%20Pictures/Smillies/welcome1.gif.html) to the forum Bob.

Ebay will be your best source for kits and parts. Sometimes things are in different areas than you would expect. I would suggest figuring out what kit you want first, and then putting it in the search. For instance "King Hauler" or "Tamiya King Hauler"

Good luck.

Mike

GjtBob
02-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys. And for Lil Giants, I've watched many of your YouTube videos, and am truly amazed at what you were able to do, all while "playing". I've got a pretty good idea that I'm going to start with either the King or the Knight Hauler, as I like the look of the Chromed Tanks and boxes that are visible, and the fact that I've seen so many video's showing those trucks. I've got a pretty good imagination, so I have lot's of ideas of things I'd like to do as I progress, including building my own trailers. I used to build 1/25 static models, and custom build all kinds of extra equipment for them, so this will get my creative juices flowing again.

BRICKNICK
02-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Welcome to sick addiction Bob....just remember, these trucks n equipment are exactly like potato chips......you can never have just one.

bigford
02-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Welcome to sick addiction Bob....just remember, these trucks n equipment are exactly like potato chips......you can never have just one.

or a oily mess, hydralics are fun!!
welcome to the sickness

jack van
02-22-2015, 01:58 AM
hi there bob this is the place to fuel the fire of hope hehe i am already wanting to spend sooo much money hehe just got to figure where to get the money

GjtBob
02-23-2015, 08:46 AM
I've been drooling over all the different models available, I can't wait to find some $$$ and start my fleet. Thanks for all the replies, this is making me feel very welcome, unlike a few other groups I've tried, for our full size car, so far, I feel this group is pretty down to earth.

GjtBob
03-04-2015, 12:49 AM
I've jumped in with both feet! I have a Knight Hauler on the way. I decided to go with a 6 channel radio system, a Tactic TTX650 paired with a Tactic TR624. I went with the Tamiya TRU-302BK ESC. I also ordered 8 RC4WD Roady 1.7" Commercial 1/14 Semi Truck Tires for the drive axles, Ball Bearings for the axles and tranny, 2 Duratrax Onyx NiMH 6C 7.2V 2000mAh Stick Standard Plug batteries, a Duratrax Onyx 200 AC/DC Peak Charger, 3 Futaba S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servos, and a 24x36 cutting mat to get started, all from Tower Hobbies. I played the "loophole" game, and split it into 2 orders that came out to just over $399 each, in order to take advantage of a $70 discount, thus saving me $140 total on the above. I've also got an RC4WD 4:1 gear reduction unit on the way, direct from them. I also won an eBay auction for a Lot with a Tamiya Animal guard bumper, a Tamia Roof spoiler, ( both for a future build, or possibly to sell), and a Tamiya Tractor Truck Electrical Unit Set, the precursor to the MFU's I guess, as I don't want sound, YET. Now I just need to get an idea for my color scheme I'll use for my entire fleet, as I grow. I'm really stoked to get started! I'll TRY to post pics as I go, but no promises. Lol

Gator
03-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Hi GjtBob, sounds like we both are jumping in, I took advantage of the Tower discount also and ordered the Cascadia. I'm thinking about the gear reduction unit also, let me know how it works out for you.

GjtBob
03-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Hey Gator, I will. I'm excited, but trying to stay refrained at the same time, as I want this to come out nice. Good luck on your venture here as well.