PDA

View Full Version : Mack cab question

Mustang46555
11-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Seeing Lmackattack's fleet at Indy this year has motivated me to dig out my Masolite block truck and give it a cosmetic make over as well as get the boom operational. I had lost interest in the project and shelved it because no matter how I tried, the King Hauler cab just wasn't right on ole 773. She was a 1973 DM600 and needed to at least look like a Mack.
The Shapeways cabs aren't DM600's but I can live with an R model cab. Problem is, the more I go through Shapeways web site the more confused I get. I need the correct combination of cab and hood that is the same length as a day cab King Hauler since the bed, headboard and boom are already mounted.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Izzy
11-29-2015, 04:49 PM
Take a risk. I've put 3 sets of rails in 2 different trucks. Pain in the are but still kinda fun anyway.

Lmackattack
11-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Hello

The Cab and hoods I buy on shape ways are from the maker CAA52. what version of a DM mack are you building? they had fiberglass hoods like a U model mack and a option for the steel butterfly hood? Regardless what hood you want I dont think anyone makes that style hood. The closest would be the R600 fiberglass hood but that hood is about a scale foot to long and the sides wont match up to the cab if you simply just cut off the back of the hood to bring it within the correct length.
I think the steel hood would be much more easy to scratch build as its basically all square parts.

I have both the R700 and the standard R600 hoods. The 700 cab/hood is closer to the BBC length of the stock KH cab/hood. that being said I had to move the front axle forward to get it to fit under the fenders correctly.

would you like actual measurements from both my 600 and 700 so you know how far back the cab sits on both?

Trent

Mustang46555
11-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Our old DM was the fiberglass tilt hood so I was figuring on going with the R600/700. It won't be perfect, but it will be a whole lot closer than the current cab I'm using. If you could send me the measurements from your 600 and 700 that would be perfect! I really appreciate the help.

Dennis

Lmackattack
12-03-2015, 10:25 PM
From the front of the hood to the back of the cab

the R600 is 7.28"/18.5 CM
the R700 is 8.07"/20.5 CM

my opinion on what would look better would be a modified R600 hood as it would be shorter and look closer to a DM Mack. The Mack cab will be off set so you cant really use any of the stock king hauler body mounts. For ease of building the way I mounted all my Mack hoods/cabs is to glue them together and then hinge the assembly at the front. this allows easy access to the battery and stuff under the body. That being said I build my trucks to use and abuse and ease of access is more important to me

Mustang46555
12-04-2015, 08:25 PM
That is just the information I needed! After using your dimensions to print some paper templates I totally agree, the R600 is the only choice.
I'll have to move the bed and headboard forward a bit but I had a little to much rear overhang anyway and this should really even things out. I'll be hinging the hood as well for battery access. I currently have the battery mounted Knight hauler style under the frame but I'm going to need that room for the mechanicals as the boom becomes operational.
There's a current picture of 773 in the Show Us your Conventionals section, ought to be an interesting comparison by Indy next year.
Thanks again for the help!