PDA

View Full Version : Cat's 1/14 4200XL Build

Arctic Cat ZRT
08-07-2019, 01:03 PM
Hello All!

Ever since I got into RC's a few years ago I've been wanting to get into RC Construction. Recently I sold a bunch of RC projects to help to fund a Eagle Machinery 4200XL purchased from RC4WD. I went with this model due to the affordability of it as well as seeing quite a few people own them. While it is a bit basic from what I have seen it gets the job done, lots of room to improve and make it my own. It is also a known quantity in terms of issues, how to fix. I also count on my RC experience to help me along the way. Also have experience with mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems experience from work.

First step is to work on a bit of modeling, which has been taking on a majority of my focus. Biggest thing is that I have cut down the cab to more of a 1/14 height. Also I have started to add proper lights and beacon. Next is to run through the model to make sure it is all tight, right, and lubed before I even hook up a battery. Also decided to stick with the recommended ISO 32 hydraulic fluid to start.

https://i.imgur.com/ExRlVvF.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/4NOz26R.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/a7JPa1B.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/u59lVV4.jpg?1

RCNewB
08-07-2019, 04:07 PM
Hello everyone. I’m new to this site and hydraulic Rc. I too, am looking for a budget friendly model. Can someone tell me about other brands. I have seen excavators start at the lowest price of 2k and go all the way up to 20k. Are 20k excavators really 10 times better. I have the huina 580, which is fair for an electric version, but I’ve been curious about hydraulic.

skeeter
09-03-2019, 05:21 AM
Hello everyone. I’m new to this site and hydraulic Rc. I too, am looking for a budget friendly model. Can someone tell me about other brands. I have seen excavators start at the lowest price of 2k and go all the way up to 20k. Are 20k excavators really 10 times better. I have the huina 580, which is fair for an electric version, but I’ve been curious about hydraulic.

The Huina can be a decent model with some upgrades. That being said, it'll never do as much work as a hydraulic unit. It just isn't big & heavy enough to do so.

For excavators, the RC4WD 4200XL is a decent machine.

For a wheeled loader, the one offered on Aliexpress.com from seller Emo, or from the seller Faroe are great loaders. I have this loader featured on my YouTube channel.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj16x0WF1Rk
I forgot how many hours are on the lil machine now, but it's a lot. All I did to it was upgrade the hydraulic valve, & loktite EVERY nut/bolt.

johnny88
09-04-2019, 02:42 AM

The only excavator I have used is the 4200XL. Digging out one pathway in my back yard I dug out and moved 2,755 pounds of dirt which equals 1.74 cubic yards. To move the dirt I used the Armageddon 8x8 dumptruck that RC4WD sells. (on average a load was 15.5 pounds, and a minimum of .265 cubic feet - hauled 177.75 loads to dig out the path way) If you have a project like mine, it is the best time you will ever have because it is intentional digging. If money does not grow on trees where you live, I highly recommend buying the inexpensive 4200xl and put your savings to buying also the Armageddon 8x8. But one warning - the 4200xl needs some maintenance work. I have posted a couple tutorials addressing some of the basics. I am about to post another tutorial but it does involve trickier repairs. The 8x8 dumptruck needs only minor attention. Another thing that is very cool about the 8x8 is that it runs in 4x4 or 8x8. SO what is fun is driving in 4x4, getting stuck, trying to get out, and then having to resort to full 8x8. It is the best time.

johnny88
09-04-2019, 02:49 AM

The only excavator I have used is the 4200XL. Digging out one pathway in my back yard I dug out and moved 2,755 pounds of dirt which equals 1.74 cubic yards. To move the dirt I used the Armageddon 8x8 dumptruck that RC4WD sells. (on average a load was 15.5 pounds, and a minimum of .265 cubic feet - hauled 177.75 loads to dig out the path way) If you have a project like mine, it is the best time you will ever have because it is intentional digging. If money does not grow on trees where you live, I highly recommend buying the inexpensive 4200xl and put your savings to buying also the Armageddon 8x8. But one warning - the 4200xl needs some maintenance work. I have posted a couple tutorials addressing some of the basics. I am about to post another tutorial but it does involve trickier repairs. The 8x8 dumptruck needs only minor attention. Another thing that is very cool about the 8x8 is that it runs in 4x4 or 8x8. SO what is fun is driving in 4x4, getting stuck, trying to get out, and then having to resort to full 8x8. It is the best time.

skeeter
09-08-2019, 12:31 PM

I believe I just shared the link to that tutorial on the PNWSTE facebook page. I know we have some guys that are having trouble(s) with the RC4WD excavators & the drive motors. I think it'll be useful to them, & others too.