PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya gearboxes

ddmckee54
07-29-2021, 01:28 PM
There have been several Bruder conversions that have used the Tamiya gearboxes, by SmallHaul and others. I was just wondering how these gearboxes have stood up to the test of time.

Don

egronvold
07-30-2021, 11:43 AM
Are you talking about the twin motor gearbox?

ddmckee54
07-30-2021, 12:26 PM
That's the one. I've always wondered how the crown gears stand up to long-term use.

Don

jerry56
07-30-2021, 04:07 PM
I used them in the delta loader and the D5.. I haven't used mine much but so far so good...
You have to make sure you shim the crown gear into the motor spur gear so there is as little play as possible.
Now that there are 25Kg and 35Kg CR metal gear servos on the market in the $10 range on Aliexpress plus Servo city has a couple in the $30 range I would probably go that route if I have to rebuild mine.

ddmckee54
07-30-2021, 05:03 PM
Jerry:

Thanks for the info about shimming the crown gear, I didn't know about that. I've got a couple of those gearboxes sitting on the shelf for possible use in future projects and that little tid-bit of information is definitely something to remember.

Don

jerry56
07-30-2021, 07:56 PM
That's kind of why I used them, I had them, plus when I was collecting parts there weren't any ready made CR servos and I was new to RC construction ( ok still am) and didn't want to try and convert servos. IMHO the gear boxes seem ok in these small conversion like the Delta loader and the D5... and if they do become problematic you can always change to servos because you don't have to hack the toy up to bad to use the gear box...