PDA

View Full Version : You ever do something really stupid?

mazdaparts
03-27-2011, 11:38 PM
This is a true story. I did something really stupid. Last weekend we built a 10'x16' deck for our house. I turned out really nice. But it took a toll on my craftsman 19.2v impact driver. It was making a noise like a dry bushing. I finally got a chance to clear my work bench and work on it. Took it apart and verified the bushing were dry and dirty. Grabbed my motor cleaner and the bushing lube. Gave the motor a few blasts and let it dry for a minute. It was filthy all the gunk that ran out onto the paper towel. I popped in a battery and gave the trigger a pull. No more noise. I'm feeling pretty proud I don't have to buy a new impact driver. Pulled the trigger a few more times. All the sudden a big fireball exploded right in front of me on the bench. Set the paper towel, the bench and the motor on fire. Not to mention I singed a nice section of hair of my forearms. I stayed calm and knocked the paper towel on the floor (concrete) and stomped it out. I blew out the bench and motor fire. All of the sudden I realized my motor cleaner was in fact electronics cleaner and "EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE" according to the can. And in that same moment I felt really stupid. To make matters worse, my wife comes downstairs to get something and asks "What the heck stinks down here?" I had to confess and even felt more stupid.

Stuff
03-27-2011, 11:49 PM
lol not bad. one buddy on another forum nearly burnt his house down baking automotive parts in the stove.. 3 times!!

pugs
03-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Been there done that. Had some bullfrog electro contact cleaner, makes a neat blue-green fireball. I forget what I was doing with it but remember it being under the hood of the truck.

fuzzy
03-28-2011, 12:11 AM
if it helps and i am thinking right crc brake clean will not burn. i used it on my cumnins rebuild and other parts as a fast cleaner i hope i am right good luck

IDontKnow
03-28-2011, 09:57 AM
And also CRC make a non flammable contact cleaner also!
It is called NF Contact Cleaner

firefighter-1177
03-28-2011, 11:08 AM
At least you kept calm and didn't burn the house down. Seen that done once.

td9clyde
03-28-2011, 07:29 PM
well i did something simular i was working on my td9 getting it ready to paint ran just fine figured aww heck deserves a nice paint job well the next couple of days i sanded and cleaned things taped things off i took off alot of parts and i had the ol lady helpin me got it all painted put it all back together and for some reason it wasn't running good it was only hitting on two cylinders what did i do i faught this for a year then i sent the injection pump and injectors out to get them rebuilt i got them back put it all back together still same problem i got all wired up one evening and tore into it i pulled the rack and the head off the motor and laid the intake off to one side everything looked good then i went for the cool down walk and went in lookin at the cylinders and glanced over and looked in the intake hole and seen a red shop rag that one of us had missed when we put it all back together over 2 grand for a shop rag the pump and injectors were just fine talk about feelin like a smart one i have been there

doodlebug
03-28-2011, 08:47 PM
I like brake cleaner, aka toluene - paint thinner, it melt's certain kind's of plastic & Fiberglas. Be careful with the stuff! I've wrecked a few thing's with it!
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

fuzzy
03-30-2011, 02:03 PM
yea change h/d motor sprocket easy job. big socket braeker bar pipe take off, big pop sprocket off, not. look on floor, inner primary all over floor, oooops i wanted belt drive for it anyway. another day in the shop.